There are 173 users in the forums

49ers 2011 Roster/Depth Chart Predictions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Awesome OTC, perfect. I would add Ian Williams, but if not no biggie.

And yes, we need to wait till final cuts and then we can put Byham on IR, Bogan and Holcomb were waived and past waivers thus going to IR.

Here's why I think Dobbs makes it over Williams (in addition to the fact that he's stood out more). In pass-rushing situations, we already have 4 DT, so we have plenty of depth there and that's not Ian Williams strong suit anyway. However, when we move our best DT's inside in the nickel, we don't have much else on the outside. However, with Dobbs we can have this look for the 4-man front:

Dobbs - McDonald - Justin Smith - Aldon Smith

very true. While I want Ian Williams here, It is no biggie.

Dobbs has out played him, same as Tukuafu.
Dobbs has outplayed Williams for the 6th and last DL roster spot.

Williams has outplayed Johnson, Jurovich, Long, etc for the 5th and last WR roster spot.

Miller has outplayed Norris for a FB position, but the starting FB is not yet on the roster. Look for a pick-up from another club, with Norris and Corcan being Niner cuts, and Miller making the Final 53 at a back-up FB, but primarily as a core ST contributor.

Grant has outperformed McKillop and Kristick for the 3rd ILB position. The 4th and last ILB position goes to Costanzo as a core ST player.

Adams has shown enough coeverage skill and ST contributions to earn the 6th and last CB position.

Wragge and Kilgore will claim the 8th and 9th OL positions on the Final 53. They would like to keep Person on the PS, but he has already shown too much on film, and will likely be claimed by some other team.

Reuland has sealed the 3rd and final TE roster spot.

I'm not sure that QB McNown makes the Final 53. Once he learns the playbook, why not let him sit at home and just call him when/if needed?

R. Smith and/or Crabtree could start the season on PUP, meaning that they would not count toward the Final 53 until after Game 6, by which time injuries would likely make a roster spot or two, readily available.
FINAL PREDICTION

QB: Smith, McCown, Kaepernick
RB: Gore, Hunter, Dixon, Norris
TE: Davis, Walker, Bruce Miller (TE/FB/H-back)
WR: Edwards, Crabtree, Ginn, Morgan, Williams
OT: Staley, Davis, Boone
OG: Iupati, Rachal, Kilgore, Wragge
C: Goodwin, Snyder

DL: J.Smith, McDonald, Sopoaga, Jean-Francois, Dobbs, Tukuafu
OLB: Brooks, Haralson, Aldon Smith, Applewhite
ILB: Willis, Bowman, Grant, Costanzo
CB: Rogers, Spencer, Brown, Culliver, Brock, Adams
S: Goldson, Whitner, Williams, Smith, Spillman

ST: Akers, Lee, Jennings

That's 52 -- Once Byham can safely be placed on IR without having to go on waivers, we very possibly could add a 53rd man from another team. If not, we'll likely decide to make one of the following the 53rd man: Ian Williams, Konrad Reuland, Nate Lawrie, and Mike Person.
FINAL PREDICTION

That's 52 -- Once Byham can safely be placed on IR without having to go on waivers, we very possibly could add a 53rd man from another team. If not, we'll likely decide to make one of the following the 53rd man: Ian Williams, Konrad Reuland, Nate Lawrie, and Mike Person.

I think we get a late addition surprise
FINAL PREDICTION

looks great, i think this is spot-on. There might always be surprises, of course, and who knows what will happen once we trawl the waiver wire, but based on what we know today, this is how I think the roster will look.

Norris played well tonight. He had several nice blocks early. I don't like his one-dimensionality, but when he's playing well he is still pretty good.
FINAL PREDICTION

I like this OTC.. interesting perspective putting Miller on the TE depth chart so we can keep Norris as well. If we have our hearts set on keeping Norris I would rather have Miller slotted there to keep him then Reuland, Lawrie, etc. If no Norris then Miller at FB and maybe only 2 TEs or Reuland.

I hope we keep Adams... should be interesting with Costanzo/Kristick/Joseph. Maybe we IR Kristick if it is bad enough to keep him and let Joseph and/or Costanzo take the backup ILB spot with Grant.

If we would have it down to those 4 for the last spot I would take Ian Williams. Best player out of that bunch. Who knows, maybe RJF goes under the DE spot and Tukuafu doesn't make it and Ian becomes backup NT. Either way it will be interesting.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
FINAL PREDICTION

I like this OTC.. interesting perspective putting Miller on the TE depth chart so we can keep Norris as well. If we have our hearts set on keeping Norris I would rather have Miller slotted there to keep him then Reuland, Lawrie, etc. If no Norris then Miller at FB and maybe only 2 TEs or Reuland.

I hope we keep Adams... should be interesting with Costanzo/Kristick/Joseph. Maybe we IR Kristick if it is bad enough to keep him and let Joseph and/or Costanzo take the backup ILB spot with Grant.

If we would have it down to those 4 for the last spot I would take Ian Williams. Best player out of that bunch. Who knows, maybe RJF goes under the DE spot and Tukuafu doesn't make it and Ian becomes backup NT. Either way it will be interesting.

I think one player who may not be all that safe is Philip Adams. I think he makes the team only as an extra DB because of Spencer's injury, but could be expendable once Spencer is healthy. Adams has shown glimpses this pre-season, but has been beaten more than I recall last year. Seemed a little inconsistent, albeit it's a small sample size to go off of. My take is he's about 90-95% there physically, but still working out the rust perhaps.
I think one player who may not be all that safe is Philip Adams. I think he makes the team only as an extra DB because of Spencer's injury, but could be expendable once Spencer is healthy. Adams has shown glimpses this pre-season, but has been beaten more than I recall last year. Seemed a little inconsistent, albeit it's a small sample size to go off of. My take is he's about 90-95% there physically, but still working out the rust perhaps.

isn't Phillip Adams recovering from an injury from last year?
I think that OnTheClock's prediction is pretty close. I would be surprised if it varies more than that. Having said that, it also depends on who gets cut from other teams this year.
Originally posted by backontop:

isn't Phillip Adams recovering from an injury from last year?

Yep, broken ankle.

FINAL PREDICTION

I like the thinking on Miller. I dont think we really need a 3rd TE so it makes more sense that way.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I like the thinking on Miller. I dont think we really need a 3rd TE so it makes more sense that way.

Well, the 3rd TE is basically a blocker so I don't see why we can't just bring in an extra tackle and have him eligible? If we are that set on keeping Norris and Miller OTC's way would be a good way to get it done. Miller could be listed under the TE's and come in as like an extra blocker or take over for Norris on occasions. If it was up to me I wouldn't keep both.... other younger guys with potential compared to Norris who is on his last year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 2, 2011 at 12:21 AM ]
FINAL PREDICTION

I think you pretty much nailed it.

With that last spot there's two more guys I think are seriously in the mix: Ronald Johnson and Colin Jones.

I know Johnson didn't look great this preseason, but he was a mid round draft pick. And we could easily go with 6 WRs until Crabtree and Braylon's situations are settled (re: missed games).

Colin Jones looked pretty raw, but he was drafted for his speed to be a special teams ace. And he did look promising at that.

Also, it seems to me that the only guy in your list I'm not that into is Castanzo. But carrying only 3 ILBs is pretty risky. Makes me wonder if that's an area we might look to get a FA.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I think you pretty much nailed it.

With that last spot there's two more guys I think are seriously in the mix: Ronald Johnson and Colin Jones.

I know Johnson didn't look great this preseason, but he was a mid round draft pick. And we could easily go with 6 WRs until Crabtree and Braylon's situations are settled (re: missed games).

Colin Jones looked pretty raw, but he was drafted for his speed to be a special teams ace. And he did look promising at that.

Also, it seems to me that the only guy in your list I'm not that into is Castanzo. But carrying only 3 ILBs is pretty risky. Makes me wonder if that's an area we might look to get a FA.

It's going to be hard to tell Seely you can't have the one guy you wanted to bring in. I'm not sure they trust him at ILB though. We could just make him a ST guy and have Grant backup both ILB spots. Also, Alex Joseph could get the job. I think we can put Kristick on IR so we can keep him.

As for Ronald Johnson I am severely disappointed in him. Drops look like his #1 downfall. Could be a PS guy but who knows we could do the 6 WRs until Crabtree is 100%. I think Colin at worst makes the PS. He could be a future ST star but he doesn't add anything at S and we have guys like Spillman who are ST aces. What if we keep Costanzo, makes Colin even less valuable as a ST guy.

P.S. Kyle Williams has stepped up and buried Ronald Johnson. Also, Johnson was a 6th rounder like Williams so it's not like we can't cut him because of where he was drafted. I could see keeping him on the roster if we drafted him in the 3rd but 6th shouldn't be a reason.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 2, 2011 at 12:46 AM ]
Predicting the 8-man practice squad:

TE Konrad Reuland
WR Ronald Johnson
LB Alex Joseph
DT Ian Williams
OL Mike Person - Quick note: If they like him enough, they'll keep him over Wragge since they're set on Snyder being the #2 center.
S Colin Jones
OL Nick Howell
LB Monte Simmons
Share 49ersWebzone