There are 177 users in the forums

49ers 2011 Roster/Depth Chart Predictions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
H
Originally posted by niners9:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
am i the only one who thinks jennings roster spot is a waste? i know he is a great LS, maybe best in the league. but r u telling me that they can't teach any other OL how to LS. harbaugh wants versatile players. maybe he gets cut. i have nothing against the guy, but i think the spot could be used for depth at another position.

yes, yes you are.

Pro Bowler, Longest Tenured 49er, and a great guy.

And not overpaid. Worth the pay. I would rather have him over say a rook like Kilgore, or even Wragge. Jennings has been doing this for yrs since 2000.

he gets over one million dollars to LS, thats crazy. just because u are a great guy doesnt mean you should make the team. i think he needs to do more than just LS, thats all.

He is thee best long snapper in the league and deserves every penny. Haven't ever see a bad snal for us on special teams in 11 years.

He is like a kicker or a punter. We don't want Gore and Willis to punt and kick field goals do we?

but im sure we could teach one of our OL to do the same and save a roster spot. im sure LS is pretty teachable.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
H
am i the only one who thinks jennings roster spot is a waste? i know he is a great LS, maybe best in the league. but r u telling me that they can't teach any other OL how to LS. harbaugh wants versatile players. maybe he gets cut. i have nothing against the guy, but i think the spot could be used for depth at another position.

yes, yes you are.

And not overpaid. Worth the pay. I would rather have him over say a rook like Kilgore, or even Wragge. Jennings has been doing this for yrs since 2000.

he gets over one million dollars to LS, thats crazy. just because u are a great guy doesnt mean you should make the team. i think he needs to do more than just LS, thats all.

He is thee best long snapper in the league and deserves every penny. Haven't ever see a bad snal for us on special teams in 11 years.

He is like a kicker or a punter. We don't want Gore and Willis to punt and kick field goals do we?

but im sure we could teach one of our OL to do the same and save a roster spot. im sure LS is pretty teachable.

LS is more of a TE position than an OL position. You have to get downfield on punts too.

Many teams have thought this and have suffered the consequences. It is rare to have a LS as consistent as Jennings, when you get one you tend to keep him. Just imagine every long snap being a 50/50 shot. But if they could find a replacement and know he will be as consistent, who plays another position...great.

yes, yes you are.

Agreed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
What happened to CB Will James?

After last season, he became a free agent. The Niners didn't bring him back. It appears no other team either.
Jennings and Lee are some of the best in the business. I hope Jennings plays another 5 years for us.
After this game, I'm going to go ahead and say the following players will very possibly end up out of luck when it comes down to the final roster.

Ronald Johnson, Colin Jones, Moran Norris, Taylor Mays, Madieu Williams and/or Reggie Smith, Keaton Kristick, and Scott McKillop.

The last two DL spots will come down between these three: Dobbs, Ian Williams, and Tukuafu.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
After this game, I'm going to go ahead and say the following players will very possibly end up out of luck when it comes down to the final roster.

Ronald Johnson, Colin Jones, Moran Norris, Taylor Mays, Madieu Williams and/or Reggie Smith, Keaton Kristick, and Scott McKillop.

The last two DL spots will come down between these three: Dobbs, Ian Williams, and Tukuafu.

you wrong about Reggie Smith. he is a starter, if not a reliable backup
Originally posted by insanemike27:

you wrong about Reggie Smith. he is a starter, if not a reliable backup

I never claimed he would be gone for sure. I said it is a possibility, and with our current FS/SS battles, everyone has to consider that it is. He is a good back-up, but has barely seen the field as a starter and has been injured a lot. He's had a good camp sure, and was OK as a starter last year and it would be nice if he stayed, but a lot of other players battling for the safety spot. We'll see what happens.
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Starters in bold:
OFFENSE (25)
QB: A.Smith, J.McCown, C.Kaepernick
RB: F.Gore, A.Dixon, K.Hunter
WR: M.Crabtree, J.Morgan, K.Williams
WR: B.Edwards, T.Ginn, R.Johnson
TE: V.Davis, D.Walker, N.Lawrie
FB: B.Miller
LT: J.Staley
LG: M.Lupati, D.Kilgore
C: J.Goodwin, A.Snyder
RG: C.Rachal, M.Person
RT: A. Davis, A. Boone

DEFENSE (28)
LDE: R.McDonald, D.Dobbs
NT: I.Sopoaga, R.Jean-Francois
RDE: J.Smith, W.Tukuafu
OLB: A.Brooks, A.Applewhite
ILB: N.Bowman, L.Grant
ILB: P.Willis, K.Kristick, B.Costanzo
OLB: A.Smith, P. Haralson
LCB: S.Spencer, C.Culliver, P. Adams
RCB: C.Rogers, T.Brock
SS: D.Whitner, M. Williams
FS: D.Goldson, R.Smith, C.Spillman
K: D.Akers
P: A.Lee
LS: B.Jennings

Injured reserve: C.Holcomb, N.Byham
Cuts: M.Norris, T.Brown, D.Zeigler, T.Wragge, S.McKillop, C.Taylor
Traded: T.Mays
Practice Squad: J.Masoli, L.Long, K.Jurovich, K.Reuland, C.Beeler, I.Williams, C.Jones, C.Nelms, P.Davis (I think a team can keep up to 8-9 players)

If you want me to explain my rationale regarding my final 53 ask away!
UPDATE!

T.Brown over T.Brock at CB!
K.Reuland over N.Lawrie at TE!

~SUBJECT TO CHANGE~
[ Edited by JustaFan45 on Aug 20, 2011 at 9:11 PM ]

Originally posted by PTulini:
My roster prediction:

QB: (3)

Alex Smith
Colin Kaepernick
Josh McCown

RB/FB: (4)

Frank Gore
Anthony Dixon
Kendall Hunter
Moran Norris

WR: (6)

Braylon Edwards
Michael Crabtree
Joshua Morgan
Ted Ginn Jr.
Ronald Johnson
Kyle Williams

TE: (3)

Vernon Davis
Delanie Walker
Konrad Reuland

O-line: (9)

Joe Staley
Mike Iupati
Jonathan Goodwin
Chilo Rachal
Anthony Davis
Adam Snyder
Tony Wragge
Alex Boone
Daniel Kilgore

Offense: 25 players

D-line: (6)

Ray McDonald
Isaac Sopoaga
Justin Smith
Ricky Jean-Francois
DeMarcus Dobbs
Ian Williams

LB: (8)

Patrick Willis
NaVorro Bowman
Ahmad Brooks
Aldon Smith
Parys Haralson
Larry Grant
Antwan Applewhite
Blake Costanzo

CB: (6)

Carlos Rogers
Shawntae Spencer
Chris Culliver
Tarell Brown
Tramaine Brock
Phillip Adams

S: (5)

Dashon Goldson
Donte Whitner
Reggie Smith
Colin Jones
CJ Spillman

Defense: 25 players

Special Teams: (3)

K - David Akers
P - Andy Lee
LS- Brian Jennings

Total Roster: 53 players

Bruce Miller, as much as I hate it because he would be such a valuable player on defense.. was outstanding in his blocking. He had several huge blocks where he knocked defenders several feet back. He is faster than Norris and can catch better..

I believe Norris will be cut and Miller will replace him.
Bruce Miller, as much as I hate it because he would be such a valuable player on defense.. was outstanding in his blocking. He had several huge blocks where he knocked defenders several feet back. He is faster than Norris and can catch better..

I believe Norris will be cut and Miller will replace him.

Last week he looked lost in pass protection. He looked more comfortable tonight. If he can get that down I think he's got a good shot.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Last week he looked lost in pass protection. He looked more comfortable tonight. If he can get that down I think he's got a good shot.

Bruce Miller, Football Player.
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Starters in bold:
OFFENSE (25)
QB: A.Smith, J.McCown, C.Kaepernick
RB: F.Gore, A.Dixon, K.Hunter
WR: M.Crabtree, J.Morgan, K.Williams
WR: B.Edwards, T.Ginn, R.Johnson
TE: V.Davis, D.Walker, N.Lawrie
FB: B.Miller
LT: J.Staley
LG: M.Lupati, D.Kilgore
C: J.Goodwin, A.Snyder
RG: C.Rachal, M.Person
RT: A. Davis, A. Boone

DEFENSE (28)
LDE: R.McDonald, D.Dobbs
NT: I.Sopoaga, R.Jean-Francois
RDE: J.Smith, W.Tukuafu
OLB: A.Brooks, A.Applewhite
ILB: N.Bowman, L.Grant
ILB: P.Willis, K.Kristick, B.Costanzo
OLB: A.Smith, P. Haralson
LCB: S.Spencer, C.Culliver, P. Adams
RCB: C.Rogers, T.Brock
SS: D.Whitner, M. Williams
FS: D.Goldson, R.Smith, C.Spillman
K: D.Akers
P: A.Lee
LS: B.Jennings

Injured reserve: C.Holcomb, N.Byham
Cuts: M.Norris, T.Brown, D.Zeigler, T.Wragge, S.McKillop, C.Taylor
Traded: T.Mays
Practice Squad: J.Masoli, L.Long, K.Jurovich, K.Reuland, C.Beeler, I.Williams, C.Jones, C.Nelms, P.Davis (I think a team can keep up to 8-9 players)

If you want me to explain my rationale regarding my final 53 ask away!

I think you are pretty close here, Justafan... However, it is hard for me to believe that the Niners will cut Wragge, who is a solid vet backup for the 3 interior positions. I think Person ends up on the PC...but will probably be promoted to the 53 at some point during the season.

Also, after tonight's game, it looks like it will be hard to put Reuland on the practice squad and T Brown looked pretty solid tonight too...just saw your update so we are obviously on the same page.

Let us all hope that the Niners can hide a few of these guys on the PC... For the first time in quite awhile, this team is facing some tough cuts.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Aug 20, 2011 at 10:02 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone