There are 222 users in the forums

To be or NOT to be - Crabtree

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I cut a fart and burped at the same time. Diccuss.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I will acknowledge that I am rather disappointed with what truly seems to be Crabtree´s lack of work ethic.

But, as I do not know the dude, I do not really understand what is happening with him. Maybe, his agent is telling him not to work out until there is a contract.

It is possible that his talent level has been overestimated, by the team, by us and most importantly by him. He looked great in college, but college and the pros are not the same thing. His hold-out for the money of a higher pick certainly indicates that he thought he was an excellent receiver. Perhaps, he is having a hard time adjusting to the fact that in this new reality that is the NFL he is just as good as he imagined.

Based upon his performance so far, Crabtree should be a solid # 2 receiver. If he realizes that he is going to have work his butt off to be great, he could become a decent # 1 receiver.

I urge patience, at least for this year.

If he does not put in the required work, next year we will have to use a high pick on a wide receiver.

By the way, I am expecting that Josh Morgan will have a very good year.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 4, 2011 at 7:19 AM ]
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
It's more disappointment than hate. You would think a young, top 10 selection would want to put every effort in to get better for himself and the team. I think we can clearly see that "every effort" is far from what Crabtree has displayed thus far.

So yeah... disappointment is totally justified here.

What do you mean?

I think buck answered that question just after you posed it...

Quote:
I will acknowledge that I am rather disappointed with what truly seems to be Crabtree´s lack of work ethic.

I am not knocking his overall production at this point. However, I think at this level, players should be giving 100% to their craft. So yes, I am disappointed with what seems a desire for alienation and slack-a$$ery in Mike Crabtree.
Crabtree might be working very hard but I wish it were with the team so that he can get rid of the diva rep that he is creating. Working hard and working smart are not the same thing. In the end it might not impact his play, but his rapport with team mates might be enhanced leading to better team chemistry.

The 9ers also need Morgan to step up, which he is in practice, and become the balance to Crabtree's type of game. Crabtree is a very crafty guy but seemed to be less crafty last year--and still had decent numbers.

They still need a speedy receiver to stretch the field and Ginn is not the guy unless he suddenly blossoms. Can Harbaugh and company bring him along? Hope so! Doubt it.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 4, 2011 at 8:07 AM ]
The bottom line is that unless Kyle Williams or Ronald Johnson steps up the pressure then who else will get the snaps at the #1 spot. Morgan is a very underated #2 WR and does that job well but is not the guy to be the #1 so it would need to be somebody else. What I hope happens is that Williams shows some skills and puts pressure on Crabtree to try harder. Ideally Crabtree should be our #1 and do well there as he has shown flashes of the WR he was in college.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for JayBee.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
It's more disappointment than hate. You would think a young, top 10 selection would want to put every effort in to get better for himself and the team. I think we can clearly see that "every effort" is far from what Crabtree has displayed thus far.

So yeah... disappointment is totally justified here.

What do you mean? His rookie year he came in 6 games into the season and had the best rookie wr year. Last season his numbers were similar to Vernon Davis'. Not to mention that VD was a disappointment until after he got chewed out by singletary or do you guys seem to forget? People hated vernon when he was dropping the ball and showboating after like 2-3 yard gains then he had one good year then everybody loves him. And just by comparison, Roddy White didn't start to do anything until his 4th year in the league. So disappointment isn't really justified.

Spoken like someone who knows wtf they're talking about. Roddie White was getting blasted for his drops. Imagine if the Falcons traded him? LOL.
[ Edited by JayBee on Jun 4, 2011 at 8:25 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by buck:

But, as I do not know the dude, I do not really understand what is happening with him. Maybe, his agent is telling him not to work out until there is a contract.

It is possible that his talent level has been overestimated, by the team, by us and most importantly by him. He looked great in college, but college and the pros are not the same thing. His hold-out for the money of a higher pick certainly indicates that he thought he was an excellent receiver. Perhaps, he is having a hard time adjusting to the fact that in this new reality that is the NFL he is just as good as he imagined.

Based upon his performance so far, Crabtree should be a solid # 2 receiver. If he realizes that he is going to have work his butt off to be great, he could become a decent # 1 receiver.

I urge patience, at least for this year.

If he does not put in the required work, next year we will have to use a high pick on a wide receiver.

By the way, I am expecting that Josh Morgan will have a very good year.

Crabtree has the talent to be a solid #2, MAYBE even a #1, but that only highlights his lack of attention to detail and work ethic. There is no excuse for him not being involved in the training right now.
he's pretty weak in madden.
I hope that jurovich guy gets a chance, especially since he is putting in work with Alex and Morgan.
Honestly I don't think he ever wanted to play for us to begin w/ he's had a crappy attitude from day one. First it was a holdout then not practicing which showed in his performance his second year in the league dropped passes and running the wrong routes etc etc etc. now its not participating in TEAM practices IDC if its just playing catch! you show up and get some reps in, get in sync w/ whomever the QB is, JC and then Craptree is the first person to complain to Deion guaranteed! about how the team sucks, wonder where Deion gets half his info from? This guy is a me my and I guy cure him of this disease or drop him!

Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I hope that jurovich guy gets a chance, especially since he is putting in work with Alex and Morgan.

Jurovich sux too. We need to thank our drunk GM for passing up DeSean Jackson TWICE for a couple busts named Kentwan and Chilo.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Jurovich sux too. We need to thank our drunk GM for passing up DeSean Jackson TWICE for a couple busts named Kentwan and Chilo.

I bet if you looked back at that draft we had the worst 1st and 2nd round picks
Not a very good amount of "team mentality" by crabtree. I think QB and WR timing is the most important relationship on the offense and that doesn't seem as important to Crabtree. Bad move by Tree bc whatever season he has, whether good or bad, could have been better.
Not even asking him to go out there and run at full speed or make the sharp cuts... just get out there... get the on-field awareness and chemistry down.

"Don't be such a shy +/or lazy b!tch. You are being paid big money, kid!"
If he continues with sub-par play and a non-team oriented mentality, he won't be around after this season. He is scheduled to make too much money, and the current Niners staff isn't responsible for him being drafted.

What's surprising to me is most of his pay is 'incentive based' and his trade value/FA value diminishes with lackluster play. He is only making the situation worse for himself.

Honestly, I understand playing for team that you truly don't want to. I would feel the same way if I was drafted by the Cowboys or the Packers. But in order for me to improve my situation, I would have to bust my a** and inform my team management that I wanted to be moved.

By not participating, he is pissing away his shot at being a star WR. But maybe the 1st paycheck was his only real motivation from the beginning .
Share 49ersWebzone