There are 132 users in the forums

10 Keys to Success: Harbaugh vs. Walsh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Is this a real picture? Where did you find it?

LOL I was wondering the same thing

I swear to GOD I thought the same thing when I saw it!

its gotta be real because the guy looks so serious

Did he marry his cat?

Did he marry his cat?

Turtleneck wool sweater??? Of course this is real, the dude is totally a cat person.
Love the optimism, but some of those JH facts seem more like goals. But hey in Jimmy we trust at least for a season or two
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by BHulman:
I like Harbaugh a lot but I think comparisons with Walsh are a bit premature. That might be setting the bar a little high for a guy who has yet to coach an NFL game. Fortunately for Harbaugh he is not following Walsh but Nolan and Singletary instead. I expect him to soar over the bar they set.

This. Well said.

Singletary set the bar so low you could trip over it.
Originally posted by BobS:
I like Harbaugh a lot but I think comparisons with Walsh are a bit premature. That might be setting the bar a little high for a guy who has yet to coach an NFL game. Fortunately for Harbaugh he is not following Walsh but Nolan and Singletary instead. I expect him to soar over the bar they set.

This. Well said.

ha really I thought it couldn't get worse then dennis erickson!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by BobS:

This. Well said.

ha really I thought it couldn't get worse then dennis erickson!

The one positive is that he didn't completely gut the team ala McDaniels, talk about a coach who set the franchise back a few years.
Originally posted by 5280High:

Did he marry his cat?

Turtleneck wool sweater??? Of course this is real, the dude is totally a cat person.

I fail to see the reason behind posting it in this thread.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by 5280High:

Did he marry his cat?

I fail to see the reason behind posting it in this thread.

Who is it?
Originally posted by maxsmart:
10 Reasons that the 49ers will revisit Walshian success under Harbaugh: (posted by: The Wild Optimist)
1. Innovation:
Like Walsh, Harbaugh is highly innovative (esp. on offense, but also defensively)
2. Hire Great Coaches:
Walsh surrounded himself with great coaches (see Walsh coaching tree). Harbaugh has also hired great coaches
3. Player Development:
Great coaches are able to teach and develop players, hence turning great athletes into great players. The Walsh 49ers won by developing players such as their entire O-line (McKittrick), their QB (Montana was 3rd rd, Young was a prior bust . . but both were developed by great coaching). Walsh coaches (Seifert, Ray Rhodes, etc) also developed great DB’s with later picks such as: Eric Davis, Don Griffin, Tim McKyer, Merton Hanks, etc. Coach Roman, Donatell, Leavitt, etc have also shown that they can train and develop players into guys that fit their system.
4. Draft:
Since they can train and develop players it allows them to draft more talented athletes with more upside and mold them into good football players. Therefore they can get better draft value by selecting guys with "higher ceilings", and thus get the max value out of their draft picks, rather than drafting players who are "pro-ready", but already maxed-out.
5. Offensive Scheme:
Stanford showed that Harbaugh’s offensive scheme will be like Walsh’s – deceptive, balanced, and will allow the innovative 49ers to outwit other teams (vs. predictable 'smash-mouth', run vs. 8 man box, 'run-run-pass').
6. Defensive Pressure:
Fangio will pressure the QB and stop the pass (think Steelers, Packers type 3-4 defense).
7. Free Agents:
FA’s will actually WANT to come to the 49ers again, so players will clamor to join the 49ers just as they did in the 80’s. Success breeds success . . .
8. Great QB Play:
NFL is QB driven, and Harbaugh is one of best QB developers in NFL. Like Walsh, he will ensure that we have great QB play!
9. Stop the Opposing QB:
Walsh emphasized pass rush and DB’s. Walsh’s teams always had great DB’s and a great rotating pass rush (Fred Dean, Haley, Board, f*gan, Carter, etc). Likewise, Harbaugh will ensure that we stop the QB (eg. drafting Aldon Smith) (pass rush and CB were his only options with their #7 top pick)
10. Attitude and Work Ethic:
Harbaugh & staff are driven, hard-working, no excuses, do-whatever-it-takes-to-win types. This attitude will permeate entire team.

Championship!!!!!!!

PS. As you can see, I’m trying hard to be an optimistic 'glass is half full' kind of guy . . . and I’m also getting a little bored with no dang football!

I agree with all of it except the FA (#7) players wanting to come here. It seems the 49ers can no longer pay high salaries like they used to and pay player such as Nmandi Asomugah to come to 49ers. These player are going to where the deep pockets are like Dallas and Washington Redskins

[ Edited by MiamiNiner on Jun 6, 2011 at 07:12:56 ]

Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
10 Reasons that the 49ers will revisit Walshian success under Harbaugh: (posted by: The Wild Optimist)
1. Innovation:
Like Walsh, Harbaugh is highly innovative (esp. on offense, but also defensively)
2. Hire Great Coaches:
Walsh surrounded himself with great coaches (see Walsh coaching tree). Harbaugh has also hired great coaches
3. Player Development:
Great coaches are able to teach and develop players, hence turning great athletes into great players. The Walsh 49ers won by developing players such as their entire O-line (McKittrick), their QB (Montana was 3rd rd, Young was a prior bust . . but both were developed by great coaching). Walsh coaches (Seifert, Ray Rhodes, etc) also developed great DB’s with later picks such as: Eric Davis, Don Griffin, Tim McKyer, Merton Hanks, etc. Coach Roman, Donatell, Leavitt, etc have also shown that they can train and develop players into guys that fit their system.
4. Draft:
Since they can train and develop players it allows them to draft more talented athletes with more upside and mold them into good football players. Therefore they can get better draft value by selecting guys with "higher ceilings", and thus get the max value out of their draft picks, rather than drafting players who are "pro-ready", but already maxed-out.
5. Offensive Scheme:
Stanford showed that Harbaugh’s offensive scheme will be like Walsh’s – deceptive, balanced, and will allow the innovative 49ers to outwit other teams (vs. predictable 'smash-mouth', run vs. 8 man box, 'run-run-pass').
6. Defensive Pressure:
Fangio will pressure the QB and stop the pass (think Steelers, Packers type 3-4 defense).
7. Free Agents:
FA’s will actually WANT to come to the 49ers again, so players will clamor to join the 49ers just as they did in the 80’s. Success breeds success . . .
8. Great QB Play:
NFL is QB driven, and Harbaugh is one of best QB developers in NFL. Like Walsh, he will ensure that we have great QB play!
9. Stop the Opposing QB:
Walsh emphasized pass rush and DB’s. Walsh’s teams always had great DB’s and a great rotating pass rush (Fred Dean, Haley, Board, f*gan, Carter, etc). Likewise, Harbaugh will ensure that we stop the QB (eg. drafting Aldon Smith) (pass rush and CB were his only options with their #7 top pick)
10. Attitude and Work Ethic:
Harbaugh & staff are driven, hard-working, no excuses, do-whatever-it-takes-to-win types. This attitude will permeate entire team.

Championship!!!!!!!

PS. As you can see, I’m trying hard to be an optimistic 'glass is half full' kind of guy . . . and I’m also getting a little bored with no dang football!

I agree with all of it except the FA (#7) players wanting to come here. It seems the 49ers can no longer pay high salaries like they used to and pay player such as Nmandi Asomugah to come to 49ers. These player are going to where the deep pockets are like Dallas and Washington Redskins

I'm not so sure about that.... I think players WANTING to come here is more than just deep pockets.... It was about being in a winning environment and the chance to be involved with something great.

I worked in restaurants in the bay area back in the glory days and I often saw players with free agents and getting them excited to come here.... Sometimes I knew who was gonna sign before the media did....as this was before the time of FB and Twitter... LOL

Now we have a LONG way to go before we get back to that point but but it's not always about the money for these guys. Some free agents are at a point in their career where they have plenty of money and want to go to a great organization.... We aren't there yet.... But we can hope.... I'm an optimist I guess...
Share 49ersWebzone