LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 314 users in the forums

Will Nate re-negotiate?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It would seem to be important to know if Nate Clements will re-negotiate his contract, BEFORE the FA signing window opens. When that window opens, there will be great pressure to move quickly in filling critical needs. And if Clements is not coming back to the Niners, then a quality FA signing for the CB position would appear to be a necessity. Some might even believe that such a signing is critical, even with Clements still on-board.

I like Clements aggressiveness, always have. His run support from the CB position reminds me of Ronnie Lott. But, Nate can't stay with NFL WR's on a sustained man-on-man coverage basis. He can still successfully jam WR within 5 yards of the LOS, and be effective in zone coverage, so long as he stays disciplined and if the team improves its pass rush capability. Do his remaining capabilities have value in the Fangio system of defense? My guess is yes. But he needs to be used differently than in the Manusky scheme of the last few seasons. Count me among those, who could imagine Clements being very effective at FS.

But, apparently, there will be no move to FS. Clements is a proud athlete, who still sees himself as a competitive CB. Will some other club see things the same way, and make overtures to Nate? If so, will Nate be inclined to re-negotiate with the Niners? Or will be prefer at outright release, so that he can negotiate his own deal elsewhere? I doubt that he has any trade value under his current contract terms.

Is contract re-negotiation off-limits during the lock-out? Probably so. Still, the Niners need to develop a sense of which way this will go with Nate. Under his current contract, without re-negotiation, he will surely be cut by the Niners. And even with the 2011 draft class now identified, it seems clear that additional, veteran CB help is needed, if Clements leaves. Brown has not demonstrated starter skills, James is well past his prime, Adams may not come back from his serious season-ending injury, Brock is still an unknown, and the rookies won't be ready to start right away.

So, what's up with Nate's situation?

How hard and fast does the club move in the competition for Namdi, Marshall, or others who might fit the bill?
I think we will try and re-negotiate with him but if he aint having it we will jsut cut him and replace with with one of the other FAs.

I would love to keep him and bring in another vet
I hope he does. I hope he realizes he should get less but wants to stay on the team. He wont get great money on FA. He should know that.
I think Nate will stay (and remain at CB), I'm not following along with the whole Nnamdi 'pipe-dream' floating around here; got a strong vibe Baalke's gonna make a STRONG PUSH to lure Ike Taylor away from re-signing with the Steelers.
I assume Nate will over value himself, and refuse to renegotiate. I have always felt he is a lot better in his mind than in reality when I have heard him speak in interviews and such. They are few and far between, but still.....
He would be a fool to not renegotiate. He has to know that the niners are not going to pay him the money in his current contract since he kinda sucks. Nate=good #3 CB
Use his money on a guy that can play.
I think it will depend on how much he believes that this team is gonna turn around or not, and how quickly.
I liked Nate when he first got to the 49ers, but he just seems to have lost some of his quickness and speed...he's getting beat regularly. I think it's time Baalke cuts him loose.

Maybe Culliver can play, or maybe TBrown finally steps it up. Maybe they'll hit on Adams or one of the other late-round picks. Heck, I'd like to think Spencer recaptures his 2009 form but there are no guarantees of that.

Come to think of it, the 49ers probably need two CB's out of the FA's this year.

[ Edited by Yetiman on May 6, 2011 at 15:37:23 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I hope not, that dude sucks big time.
Originally posted by Yetiman:
I liked Nate when he first got to the 49ers, but he just seems to have lost some of his quickness and speed...he's getting beat regularly. Maybe Culliver can play, or maybe TBrown finally steps it up. Maybe they'll hit on Adams or one of the other late-round picks. Heck, I'd like to think Spencer recaptures his 2009 form but there are no guarantees of that.

Come to think of it, the 49ers probably need two CB's out of the FA's this year.

Clements is not bad spencer is average as well

T brown is our worst CB

philip adams is good he has serious potential he played well last year we still lack a #1 WR we have 2 number 2 CB and a 3 CB if we get a #1 CB we will have a good secondary

I like Nate. Our Corner were horrible when we signed him. We never did anything to really help him out. Sure he has probably lost a step but it's not really fair for him when he has to cover all day because our defensive gameplan is horrible and we have no pass rush. OTHER play get excuses for bad coaching, so I would use a muligan on Nate and keep him after a restructure. New coaching can simplify his game and hopefully are new team can add some pass rush.
Only because it rhymes.

I don't think negotiating during the lock-out is allowed tho
o answer your question directly - No, I don't think he will negotiate.

That said, I believe he is to make something in the area of 7M for this season. The question is he worth that and if your answer is NO [like mine] then who out there is?

Asomugha[sp] and that's it! I think he'll be priced off the Rickter Scale w/ so many teams needing a shut down corner. It's all about the money for Clements and Asomugh.

Second best and for less , money, I really don't know but I've heard the names Cullen Jenkins and Brent Grimes mentioned. I really don't know anything about them.
yes
yes to a 3.5 mil contract
Share 49ersWebzone