LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

How will Kaepernick see playing time in 2011?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How will Kaepernick see playing time in 2011?

I hope we dont run the wildcat, that s**t dont work anymore
  • dj43
Hard to see him getting any PT in 2011. Many draftnicks called him a two year project. Only way he gets in would be an injury to Alex and whoever winds up being the backup.

If we have learned nothing else it should be that you do not use a rookie QB until he is fully ready to play.
If Kaepernick struggles throughout camp, he might not be eased in until weeks 10-12, if the situation becomes dire, and Alex Smith shows no improvement under a 'better' coaching staff, then Kaepernick could come in around week 5 against the Bucs (and earn either starts, or 2nd half rotations).
I already read in one of the news reports that claims that when they talked to Harbaugh, that they were told Kaep was going to see action in certain situations. Although he is a project, don't bet the house that Harbaugh and Roman won't scheme to make use of his abilities. Especially in say situations like 2nd and 3 or less. Where the RB could run or Kaep could bootleg with the option to throw down field.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
I already read in one of the news reports that claims that when they talked to Harbaugh, that they were told Kaep was going to see action in certain situations. Although he is a project, don't bet the house that Harbaugh and Roman won't scheme to make use of his abilities. Especially in say situations like 2nd and 3 or less. Where the RB could run or Kaep could bootleg with the option to throw down field.

Coach Harbaugh said the CK is not a project
Going off our starter.. Kap will playing in week 4 or 6...
Originally posted by prime21:
Why would we take out Alex in a goal line situation? He had one of the best red zone scoring percentages last year. our problem was actually getting into the red zone. Aside from that though, I already think Kap is an instant upgrade over Smith, why not just replace Smith completely? Sidenote - Harbaugh's brother in Baltimore gave Joe Flacco the starting nod over Troy Smith in his rookie year.

worked out well with baltimore, but troy had a serious illness in preseason which led to flacco starting from week 1 on
Well two dynamics to factor in this year (when it starts): 1) Fans patience for Alex's miscues will be paper thin this year and could factor in on a coach's to swap out QBs
2) Our offensive line is continually getting better. It is less dangerous than a decade (Niners) ago to have the rookie QB get a taste of the NFL.
In practice
I fully expect Kaepernick to be the starter. He's like Marino, Cunningham, and Sammy Baugh rolled into one. He's got a wingspan like Dwayne Wade!!! What's not to like?!?!

Originally posted by ritchie:
I fully expect Kaepernick to be the starter. He's like Marino, Cunningham, and Sammy Baugh rolled into one. He's got a wingspan like Dwayne Wade!!! What's not to like?!?!

nothing. But he will need some Harbaugh love to get him ready.
Originally posted by prime21:
Why would we take out Alex in a goal line situation? He had one of the best red zone scoring percentages last year. our problem was actually getting into the red zone. Aside from that though, I already think Kap is an instant upgrade over Smith, why not just replace Smith completely? Sidenote - Harbaugh's brother in Baltimore gave Joe Flacco the starting nod over Troy Smith in his rookie year.

Not sure if Kap will be relegated to JUST 3rd down situations, but he'll definitely see the field much like Walsh worked in Montana in his rookie season.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I just hope he doesn't suck, dont know if the fan base can take two crappy QBs back to back.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by b9er37:
IF alex returns he will not be able to beat out Kap. We all know alex sucks in camp and is no better in games. Kap will shine leaving NO doubt.

so the fact that Kap has zero NFL game experience, he will be able to master an offense that Alex has at least played before, and will be able to adapt to the speed of the game without hitch?

If you're not being sarcastic, this is the dumbest post of the day.

Yes. I don't want to see Kap much this year out on the field. Garbage time only, for the experience.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
He won't play unless Alex Smith gets hurt.
Share 49ersWebzone