LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Round 6, #182, the San Francisco 49ers selects Ronald Johnson (WR) USC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Please use this thread to discuss the player we drafted.

[ Edited by Oscar on Apr 30, 2011 at 1:49 PM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran

CAREER: He ranks fifth on USC's career kickoff return chart (1,264 yards). His 12 touchdown receptions average 26.3 yards each (315 total yards).

2010: Johnson, a speedy deep receiving threat and dangerous kickoff returner, will look to continue to make a big impact as a wide receiver and returner as a senior in 2010. He missed some of 2010 spring practice because of elbow and wrist injuries.

2009: Johnson missed USC's first 5 games after breaking his left collarbone in 2009 fall camp, but made an impact when healthy as a junior wide receiver and kickoff returner in 2009. Overall while appearing in USC's last 8 games, and starting 5 times (Oregon, Arizona State, UCLA, Arizona, Boston College), he was second on USC with 34 receptions for 378 yards (11.1 avg.) with 3 TDs, plus had a 4-yard rush and returned 13 kickoffs for 264 yards (20.3 avg.).

At Notre Dame in his first action of 2009, he had a 13-yard reception. He then had 6 catches for 99 yards, including stretching out for a 22-yard TD, against Oregon State. He added 3 catches for 28 yards (with a 3-yard score) at Oregon. He had a 13-yard catch at Arizona State, then had a game-high and personal-best 7 catches for 69 yards against Stanford and returned 4 kickoffs for 76 yards. He had 5 catches for 48 yards and returned a kickoff 16 yards versus UCLA and had 5 receptions for 50 yards (with a 16-yard TD) and returned 3 kickoffs for 59 yards against Arizona. He caught 6 passes for 58 yards against Boston College.

2008: Johnson again was a key factor in the wide receiver rotation as a sophomore in 2008. He also returned kickoffs. Overall in 2008 while appearing in all 13 games and starting twice (versus California and Stanford), he had 33 receptions for 570 yards (17.3 avg.) with 8 TDs, plus he returned 14 kickoffs for 380 yards (27.1 avg.), ran 6 times on reverses for 32 yards (5.3 avg.), was 0-of-1 passing and made 3 tackles.

He had 3 catches for 78 yards (with a 49-yard TD) and returned 2 kickoffs for 25 yards for 103 all-purpose yards at Virginia. At Oregon State, he had 3 catches for 44 yards (with a 26-yard TD) and returned 3 kickoffs for 76 yards. He had 2 catches for 78 yards (with a 63-yard TD) along with an 18-yard kickoff return and a 14-yard rush on an end-around against Oregon. He made 3 receptions for 71 yards against Arizona State. He caught 5 passes for 94 yards with a career-best 2 TDs at Washington State. He had a 9-yard catch, a 26-yard kickoff return and a tackle at Arizona. He added 4 receptions for 25 yards, a 13-yard run on a reverse and a 43-yard kickoff return against Washington. He had a 6-yard TD catch against California. At Stanford, he had 2 kickoff returns for 125 yards (75 and 50 yards), a 7-yard run on a reverse, a 2-yard reception and threw an incomplete pass. He had 2 catches for 24 yards, returned a kickoff 9 yards and gained no yards on a reverse against Notre Dame. He added 4 grabs for 57 yards at UCLA. He had 4 catches for 82 yards (including TDs of 19 and 45 yards) against Penn State, plus returned a kickoff 13 yards and ran a reverse for minus 7 yards.

2007: Johnson served as an often-used backup wide receiver and was USC's top kickoff returner as a first-year freshman in 2007. Overall in 2007 while appearing in all 13 games, he caught 7 passes for 110 yards (15.7 avg.) with 1 touchdown, ran 4 reverses for 27 yards (6.8 avg.), had a team-best 25 kickoff returns for 620 yards (24.8 avg.) and made 2 tackles. He even started the Washington game (at flanker).

He had a 4-yard reverse run against Idaho, then caught a 4-yard pass at Nebraska and had 2 receptions and a tackle against Washington State. He returned 3 kickoffs for 65 yards at Washington, then had a 47-yard TD catch, an 8-yard run off a reverse and 3 kickoff returns for 61 yards against Stanford. He had 3 kickoff returns for 73 yards and a 6-yard run on a reverse against Arizon, then had a 37-yard kickoff return at Notre Dame and returned 4 kickoffs for 96 yards and had a tackle at Oregon. He returned a kickoff 41 yards against Oregon State, then returned 4 kickoffs for 102 yards (including a 35-yarder out to the 50 to set up a USC TD and a 41-yarder) at California. He had a 33-yard catch and 3 kickoff returns for 94 yards (including a 49-yarder to open the game) at Arizona State and returned a kickoff 17 yards against UCLA. He caught 2 passes for 15 yards and had 2 kickoff returns for 34 yards against Illinois.

HIGH SCHOOL: His 2006 honors included EA Sports All-American first team, Super Prep All-American, Prep Star All-American, Scout.com All-American, Super Prep Elite 50, Prep Star 100, Rivals.com 100, Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-Midwest, Scout.com All-Midwest and Detroit Free Press Fab 50 as a senior at Muskegon (Mich.) High. He had 3 interceptions as a cornerback and 1,600 all-purpose yards as a wide receiver on offense in 2006, including 700 receiving yards on 26 catches (26.9 avg.) with 7 TDs and 347 rushing yards on 30 carries (11.6 avg.) with 4 TDs, 180 yards on 7 kickoff returns (25.7 avg.) and 218 yards on 11 punt returns (19.8 avg.). Muskegon went 14-0 and won the 2006 state championship.

As a junior in 2005, he appeared in just 3 games before suffering torn knee ligaments.

Muskegon also went 14-0 and won the state title in his 2004 sophomore season.

PERSONAL: He's a sociology major at USC.

RONALD JOHNSON ON: His mentality on offense: "Every time I am out there on offense, I feel like I am going to have a big play."

Returning kickoffs: "I just visualize where I think I can end up with it. The defenders are coming at you so fast, you have to take your time...My first though is to hold onto the ball. I am also thinking about getting up field, make guys miss and then I imagine myself in the end zone...Following your lead blocker is key. Then, when you see a crease, hit it quick before it closes. You have to get what you can get first. And then, if you can break, break."

[ Edited by jrg on Apr 30, 2011 at 13:29:46 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Crabtree better watch out.
Welcome to the Fam, RJ!!!! OTC said people compare him to Steve Smith of the Giants. Good value as a 6th rounder then.
Ron-Jon

USC

what's your deal?!

He's definetily the type of west coast receiver we should be looking for, but I don't know about him.

Very underwhelming college career and he seems like another pick based off of measurables more so than production.
Originally posted by TlSSER:
Ron-Jon

USC

what's your deal?!

Already has a nickname, Ro-Jo.

• Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Bump.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
He's definetily the type of west coast receiver we should be looking for, but I don't know about him.

Very underwhelming college career and he seems like another pick based off of measurables more so than production.

Possibly, possibly not. The reason we chose him is because the current WR coach for the 49ers coached him at USC. Further verifies what I've thought about this draft - the position coaches have had HEAVY input into player selection.

I know USC's passing attack has been down since Sanchez left so maybe I'm just reading too much into stats. Looking at his profile I like pretty much everything I see when it comes to fitting into a WCO. I just don't like his stat line. 10.8 and 11.1 ypc for a speedy guy. 700 yards was his best season.

Drafting based off of measureable can be fine, but it can also lead to drafting a bunch of underachievers.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 30, 2011 at 13:49:26 ]
Well this thread is quite busy.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Maybe he can encourage Crabtree to work out harder in the offseason instead of being a slouch
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Very precise route runner, solid hands. Not afraid to catch it over the middle on slants, in routes, etc. I like it a lot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWi1S7HzHVo
Share 49ersWebzone