There are 189 users in the forums

Round 2, #36, the San Francisco 49ers selects Colin Kaepernick (QB) Nevada

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Doogee:
I'm cautiously optimistic about this. If anybody can make him a success, it's Harbaugh.

Mel Kiper compared him to Josh Johnson, so maybe that;'s what Harbaugh saw in him this entire time
Originally posted by Paul:
so what do we do now? does CK get the nod this year or are we still going to attempt to bring Smith back? I agree Arizona needs a QB probably worse than us and they are avoiding it & are craving Bulger.

I like the Aldon Smith choice more as I read about the guy, and then this.. pretty awesome draft so far

I highly doubt Kaepernick will start right off the bat. He will be groomed and eased in. I'm very confident Alex Smith will be back this year, and I'm OK with it now. That is, unless they get McNabb, Bulger or Palmer. Kolb is out of the picture now.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
http://twitter.com/#!/Kaepernick10

Should have some more followers soon!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He needs to gain some weight though, but he's got a least a year to do it.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
We gave up a 2nd, 4th and 5th to move up 9 spots. That seems like alot with all the holes on our team. Harbaugh must really love this kid. I like the pick, I just we didnt give up too much

We have an extra 4th so I am okay with that. I am just glad we did not give up both our 4ths.

We get our qb of the future, and the chance to stick it to the Raiders. What a win win.
I think for what Harbaugh wants to do, Alex Smith will be sufficient while Kaepernick develops....either that or the 49ers are planning on snagging Carson Palmer. Most likely though I think Harbaugh has a *wink* *wink* arrangement with Alex to help coach him up, provide him with some stability and showcase him for the rest of the league to help him get a nice deal down the line.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Hello Marc Buldger. Welcome to SF for the next year while we groom this kid.

You spelled Alex Smith wrong
Kaep's positives on SI.com make him sound like he's a fine fit for the WCO:

Positives: "Tall, athletic quarterback prospect who possesses a tremendous amount of upside. Patient in the pocket and displays terrific awareness as well as field presence. Buys time for receivers and displays a sense of timing and terrific pass placement. Accurate and consistently puts throws where only his receiver can make the reception. Throws a catchable ball, possesses a strong arm, and his passes immediately get to the intended target. Drives the short and intermediate throws, gets the ball through tight spots, and hits deep receivers in stride. Makes solid decisions in the pocket, tossing the ball away rather than forcing passes to covered receivers. Stands strong against the rush to get the pass off but also has the ability to scramble away from defenders and avoid the sack. Solid carrying the ball, displaying elusiveness, speed, and some strength."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2011/players/48350.html#ixzz1KxGOtD6Q
FREAKIN' LOVE THIS PICK!!!!!!
oops

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 29, 2011 at 15:48:53 ]

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Just wondeting do you think they really wanted Dalton and settled for Kap?
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
We gave up a 2nd, 4th and 5th to move up 9 spots. That seems like alot with all the holes on our team. Harbaugh must really love this kid. I like the pick, I just we didnt give up too much
acc to the draft value table, thats not much...we have another 4th-rounder and we still have our 3rd...plus, we have our qb. good job, imo.

Agreed. The way I look at it 5th rd pick doesn't net you a starter very often unless it is OL. It is usually a back up or a special teams players. To give that up while also still having another 4th for a QB you think has the potential to lead us, it is worth it.
I personally am much happier with Colin than Dalton. His upside and athleticism probably have Harbaugh drooling. Dalton is about as good as he is likely to get and while he probably wont be bad I don't see him being the playmaker Colin is. Remember why Luck is such a great prospect. If Harbaugh coached Nevada you could be talking about Colin first pick.
Originally posted by mayo49:
He needs to gain some weight though, but he's got a least a year to do it.

I think he'll be fine at his current size. What he needs to work on is removing that side-arm throw from his arsenal.
harbaugh developing a mobile/accurate quarterback!
Share 49ersWebzone