LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 122 users in the forums

49ers likely to be fined for Harbaugh's workouts with Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
"Given that a lockout has started and no contact may occur until it ends, the fine likely is viewed by the Dolphins, the Cowboys, and any other team in violation of the rule as money well spent."

you guys dont think the Niners knew? of course they did. Harbaugh is a new coach with a lockout looming. he needed to get in there and talk with some players before that happened. they didnt care about the fine.
I do not agree that the 49ers violated the rule. Article 35 of the CBA (now expired) provides that players may use the club's facilities, except the player is " ... not permitted to participate in organized workouts, practices or meetings of any kind. ... may not be directed or supervised by position coaches. ..."

From what H. said, Alex works out at the facilities. Even Gore stops by to ask "What's up?" H. and Alex, then on the roster, were becoming acquainted. There is no evidence that what they were doing was an "organized workout or meeting." What they did appeared to be purely informal, social, and of mutual desire and consent. Their is no evidence of coercion, or of forcing a player, directly or indirectly, to participate in a prohibited activity.

For pete's sake, challenge the damn accusation. If the organization hasn't the gonads to defend itself off the field, how can it we expect it to have what it takes to prevail on the football field? Fight, fight, fight!
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Fight this Harbaugh, "BOW DOWN TO NO MAN!"
Originally posted by excelsior:
I do not agree that the 49ers violated the rule. Article 35 of the CBA (now expired) provides that players may use the club's facilities, except the player is " ... not permitted to participate in organized workouts, practices or meetings of any kind. ... may not be directed or supervised by position coaches. ..."

From what H. said, Alex works out at the facilities. Even Gore stops by to ask "What's up?" H. and Alex, then on the roster, were becoming acquainted. There is no evidence that what they were doing was an "organized workout or meeting." What they did appeared to be purely informal, social, and of mutual desire and consent. Their is no evidence of coercion, or of forcing a player, directly or indirectly, to participate in a prohibited activity.

For pete's sake, challenge the damn accusation. If the organization hasn't the gonads to defend itself off the field, how can it we expect it to have what it takes to prevail on the football field? Fight, fight, fight!

it was publicized that Alex Smith was at 49er HQ working out with Harbaugh. they were doing QB drills. its kinda hard to now go back and say "no no, we were just playing catch and talking". i think every team whos getting fined was well aware, and did it because the lockout was coming, and accepted the fine as worth it.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Oh wait, look what I just found on a blog. Niners got fined for getting too many fines, Roger don't like us any more. See, what I said; Don't pay, flip em off. Here you go, check it out:

You're not going to believe this one that just hit profootballtalk: League Fines 49ers For Getting Too Many Fines Key quotes - Goodell: "It's clear that a culture of violation has become ingrained in the 49er organization. Today I'm sending them a clear message - the violation must end."

On whether the 49ers were really doing anything different than every other NFL team, Goodell said: "I can only comment on what I know. I know the 49ers have had multiple violations, I know I can fine them, and I know they will pay it quickly and without complaint."

On whether Goodell would level a similar fine on the Rooneys or Jerry Jones, Goodell said, "Each circumstance is unique. All of the criteria I laid out on why I could fine the 49ers are not necessarily there with the Steelers or Cowboys." On whether the 49ers have become Goodell's whipping boy: "I just think that sometimes you need to send a message to the other teams or players or whomever, and when you do that, you kind of choose the path of least resistance."

On whether a possible $100 million loan for new stadium construction from the NFL to the 49ers gives Goodell undue leverage over the 49ers: "Let's just say it doesn't make my position any weaker." John York: "We respect the NFL's rules and Commissioner Goodell's decision." Here's the link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/23/league-fines-49ers-for-getting-too-many-fines/

Read more: Report: 49ers 'likely violator' of pre-lockout rule
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story
~~ F**K Off!!!!!!!!!

Um, the link is not valid, and that doesn't look like a valid article. Why would a veteran fabricate something like this? Can't you get warned/banned?

yeah wtf is this garbage?

Sorry, niners99, but I never recall seeing any quotes from H. that what he did was an "organized workout." Call it a "drill" if you wish, but we have to look at the purpose and intent of the rule. It appears to be designed to keep teams from putting pressure on players to "train" during certain offseason periods. At best, the language in the rule is vague, ambiguous and uncertain, and hence assailable.

This appears on the surface to be purely voluntary by Alex. Where is the evidence that pressure was put on him? I still insist that the 49ers should challenge this. Demand a formal hearing and, if necessary, appeal under whatever appeal provisions exist under the CBA.

This brings me to my next point: Who negotiated for this rule and whose interests are being protected under it? It would seem to be the players union. Hence, it should be the union seeking redress here if they feel their player was being victimized. And where is the union right now? ... decertified - it doesn't exist now. Goodell is doing their work for them?

Come on 49ers. Our fans want you to be feared on the football field. How can that happen if you set the tone by acting like shrinking violets off the field
I hope instead of the fine they say we cant sign him now.
Originally posted by FreddyG:
I hope instead of the fine they say we cant sign him now.

It is supposed to be a punishment, not an award.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Oh wait, look what I just found on a blog. Niners got fined for getting too many fines, Roger don't like us any more. See, what I said; Don't pay, flip em off. Here you go, check it out:

You're not going to believe this one that just hit profootballtalk: League Fines 49ers For Getting Too Many Fines Key quotes - Goodell: "It's clear that a culture of violation has become ingrained in the 49er organization. Today I'm sending them a clear message - the violation must end."

On whether the 49ers were really doing anything different than every other NFL team, Goodell said: "I can only comment on what I know. I know the 49ers have had multiple violations, I know I can fine them, and I know they will pay it quickly and without complaint."

On whether Goodell would level a similar fine on the Rooneys or Jerry Jones, Goodell said, "Each circumstance is unique. All of the criteria I laid out on why I could fine the 49ers are not necessarily there with the Steelers or Cowboys." On whether the 49ers have become Goodell's whipping boy: "I just think that sometimes you need to send a message to the other teams or players or whomever, and when you do that, you kind of choose the path of least resistance."

On whether a possible $100 million loan for new stadium construction from the NFL to the 49ers gives Goodell undue leverage over the 49ers: "Let's just say it doesn't make my position any weaker." John York: "We respect the NFL's rules and Commissioner Goodell's decision." Here's the link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/23/league-fines-49ers-for-getting-too-many-fines/

Read more: Report: 49ers 'likely violator' of pre-lockout rule
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story
~~ F**K Off!!!!!!!!!

Um, the link is not valid, and that doesn't look like a valid article. Why would a veteran fabricate something like this? Can't you get warned/banned?

yeah wtf is this garbage?

ahh well, soooorrrry!

It was so interesting I didn't check it out enough before I posted this. I pulled it off a blog on Pro Football talk.. I so apologize!

Better setup a no fly zone, after all everyone can be a cop these days, just look at TV..

La Bamba
and Alex Smith f**ks the 49ers again

• Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

In addition, tight end Vernon Davis in February tweeted about watching film and working on his playbook "with my coach."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/03/25/3502540/49ers-reportedly-fined-for-having.html#ixzz1HdkmF9A1
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

In addition, tight end Vernon Davis in February tweeted about watching film and working on his playbook "with my coach."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/03/25/3502540/49ers-reportedly-fined-for-having.html#ixzz1HdkmF9A1

Yah but Alex made him watch it.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Muggins879:

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Muggins879:

I needed a laugh.
Share 49ersWebzone