There are 233 users in the forums

Eagles Tampering against us?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Westbrook changed his twitter profile pic from him in a niners jersey to him in a Eagles jersey

http://twitter.com/20westbrook
  • JDog
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Westbrook changed his twitter profile pic from him in a niners jersey to him in a Eagles jersey

Punk
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

@plumber4578 @AdamSchefter spent a lot of years in that uniform...i can't have it as my profile pic? who said i was an eagle now?
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
If he's not coming back to the Niners anyway, then pursuing tampering charges in an effort to extract draft picks is a ticky tack chicken s**t move.

Yeah the rules are there, but granted the circumstances, c'mon. Really?

Yea really, are you on crack? Pass up draft picks? This is about winning and getting every advantage possible, the Bears did not blink at taking a pick from us. Anything that strengthens you and weakens your opponents is a mandatory must do!

Lance Briggs was under contract with the Bears. Different situation.
Westbrook is in that artificial no mans land brought about by the lack of a CBA.

So we are going to pursue this bulls**t case because of that. Today's Niners - kings of the offseason and stockpiled low round draft picks but are crap during the regular season.

So much for trying to win with class, which is what Jed York, Baalke, and Jim Harbaugh are trying to go back to.

Supposedly Westbrook has been talking with Reid all year not just now that the season was over
This stuff happens all the time. When a player spends a long time with the same team they develop friendships not only with players on that team but with coaches as well. Reid and Westbrook had a close relationship and obviously still do. The salary and roster situation didn't work out for him last year but that doesn't mean they can't talk as friends now.

Not a hill worth dying on....

Agreed. Filing tampering charges on a player who we have no desire to retain and who himself does not want to come back is a low-ball move that only serves to sever a relationship with a future trade partner.

-9fA
If he's not coming back to the Niners anyway, then pursuing tampering charges in an effort to extract draft picks is a ticky tack chicken s**t move.

Yea really, are you on crack? Pass up draft picks? This is about winning and getting every advantage possible, the Bears did not blink at taking a pick from us. Anything that strengthens you and weakens your opponents is a mandatory must do!

Westbrook is in that artificial no mans land brought about by the lack of a CBA.

So we are going to pursue this bulls**t case because of that. Today's Niners - kings of the offseason and stockpiled low round draft picks but are crap during the regular season.

So much for trying to win with class, which is what Jed York, Baalke, and Jim Harbaugh are trying to go back to.

Supposedly Westbrook has been talking with Reid all year not just now that the season was over
This stuff happens all the time. When a player spends a long time with the same team they develop friendships not only with players on that team but with coaches as well. Reid and Westbrook had a close relationship and obviously still do. The salary and roster situation didn't work out for him last year but that doesn't mean they can't talk as friends now.

No body is going to "die on a hill" we are talking about filling some paperwork and seeing if we get awarded a draft pick, simple right, the sort of thing any team with a desire to win would do. Doing any less is for losers.

What would they really be winning? If other professionals in your industry that you may need to whel & deal with later see you as a cheap ass jerk, are you really winning in the long run? I don't think so.
Originally posted by djfullshred:

No body is going to "die on a hill" we are talking about filling some paperwork and seeing if we get awarded a draft pick, simple right, the sort of thing any team with a desire to win would do. Doing any less is for losers.

What would they really be winning? If other professionals in your industry that you may need to whel & deal with later see you as a cheap ass jerk, are you really winning in the long run? I don't think so.

Flip your thinking for just a second. In a highly competitive arena, NOT filling makes you look weak. Not filling sends a message to everyone that they can tamper, no person in a competitive environment will begrudge this move. Other professionals in this industry, were not all that put off by Bela-cheats activities, they are all Alphas all looking to get to and stay on top. This is not a normal business, and this filling would not affect a professional football relationship, this move would be expected.
  • Otter
  • Veteran

Flip your thinking for just a second. In a highly competitive arena, NOT filling makes you look weak. Not filling sends a message to everyone that they can tamper, no person in a competitive environment will begrudge this move. Other professionals in this industry, were not all that put off by Bela-cheats activities, they are all Alphas all looking to get to and stay on top. This is not a normal business, and this filling would not affect a professional football relationship, this move would be expected.

You don't think they hold grudges?
  • Chief
  • Veteran
You guys are all acting like we should suck the tit of the Eagles. Screw that, if they tampered file it, move up in the draft.
Originally posted by Chief:
You guys are all acting like we should suck the tit of the Eagles. Screw that, if they tampered file it, move up in the draft.

Yep! The idea of not pi$$ing them off because of a Kolb trade make me think WTF. I want draft picks, don't care if the mighty Diva Beagles get pi$$ed!

[ Edited by PA49ersfan on Mar 11, 2011 at 06:59:36 ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Agreed. Filing tampering charges on a player who we have no desire to retain and who himself does not want to come back is a low-ball move that only serves to sever a relationship with a future trade partner.

-9fA

It is more about the principal. If they are not following the rules, you are saying it is okay. There is not a lot of grey area on tampering, and if you let one event slide, others would expect the same.

Now I am not saying that I support them to file tampering charges. However, they could possibly use it as leverage in a trade. Maybe like "Hey, we let you slide on that WB thing, why don't you help us out?" followed by "Kolb for a 4th?"

Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

It is more about the principal. If they are not following the rules, you are saying it is okay. There is not a lot of grey area on tampering, and if you let one event slide, others would expect the same.

Now I am not saying that I support them to file tampering charges. However, they could possibly use it as leverage in a trade. Maybe like "Hey, we let you slide on that WB thing, why don't you help us out?" followed by "Kolb for a 4th?"

I see your point and it's valid. However, I think that this instance may in fact be a gray area. Westbrook and Reid have a strong relationship that likely goes beyond football. I personally doubt that the focus of their conversations were on Westbrook returning to the Eagles. May the topic have been brought up? Sure. But I believe that both Westbrook and Reid had good intentions.

And yes, I'm sure that the Eagles are grateful that we're not filing some pedantic tampering charges. Maybe they will give us a future discount.

-9fA
Originally posted by Otter:

You don't think they hold grudges?

No, it's business, as soon as we have a pick or a player we want, they would love us.

Because I don't work there, I have to give the 49ers the benefit of doubt that if there was evidence of actual tampering going on - interference by a member club with the employer-employee relationship of another club - I'm sure the 49ers owners would file an official grievance, like any other club. They have done that recently with Crabtree, so we know they are not afraid to do so.

Furthermore, I don't think the motivation for going down a potentially contentious dispute with another team & commish is to actually improve the team, and weaken a rival in these cases. The motivation for filing is to protect your employer-employee relationship with your players - especially the ones that are important to your team. I think you are being naive about the fraternity of pro sports team owners, and established culture in how they work together. I don't mean to say they don't sometimes cheat. But I don't think they try to knock the legs out from under each other every chance they can get.

[ Edited by djfullshred on Mar 11, 2011 at 13:08:32 ]
Share 49ersWebzone