There are 217 users in the forums

Tim Kawakami's interview with 49ers HC Jim Harbaugh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Apone:
Harbough will turn Smith into a Sith Lord. Looking forward to it.

Dont insult the Sith Lords.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
I think if he gives Smith a chance, it not only means that there was no better option available, but it also means Harbaugh thinks he can win with him.

I'm okay with that.

I'm not.
JH seems like a guy who would tell a player in private that he should move on, while publicly being supportive. That is the classy and professional way of dealing with people.

Singlecell and Nolan..opposite of classy and professional.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
It's a huge risk to go in this direction (with Alex) for Harbaugh.

- IF Alex succeeds under Harbaugh...then it becomes a great comeback story and BOTH Smith and Harbaugh land huge pay days once contract time comes around again.

-IF Alex fails...he's effectively DONE in the NFL as a starter or at the very least...does significant damage to his career by pretty much cementing himself as a back up for a few more years. If Smith walks...he's young enough (26) to go to a legit team with legit coaches and a legit, established offense where he can do reasonably well and not deal with booing and pressure, etc.

-IF Alex walks and Harbaugh goes with an unknown and STILL fails...fans will be forgiving because, "1st year coach, rookie QB, 'starting over w/new offense,' etc etc." He'll have a built in excuse.

-IF Alex fails...Harbaugh basically is on a short leash with fans and it will basically be viewed as his 1st and worst decision as a coach.

In other words, Harbaugh better be EXTREMELY sure and confident that Alex WILL (not just "can") succeed in SF in 2011. Otherwise...it's just way too risky for him as a new coach, stupid on Alex's part, and fvcked up to put Smith through bullsht in SF for another year...just let the man walk and let us fans get some fresh faces and a new start.

Should be an interesting off-season.

But if you bring in Kolb, McNabb, Palmer or draft Gabbert or Newton you essentially bet your entire regime on that quarterback. We're not Washington. We don't have the ownership to pay big bucks on a guy and then move on at first convienence. See Alex and his 9 lives.

With Alex you have potential but a short term buy out clause. I look at it as a Holmgren esque move. He brought in Delhomme and Wallace and drafted McCoy in the 3rd. Pretty much what I expect Harbaugh to do. Sign Smith, bring in Wallace or Dixon then draft a quarterback in the 3rd. That gives you 3 options and a potential 4th option if the season goes horribly wrong. If we strike out this year the fan base will still be licking their chops at the thought of a Harbaurgh Luck reunion.

As for Alex. There's better quarterbacks on the market. If he leaves I think it's more likely that he goes to a crap team like Carolina then a potentially good team like Tennessee or Minnesota. He's down to his last strike as a starter anyway you look at it.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 21, 2011 at 8:11 AM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

- IF Alex succeeds under Harbaugh...then it becomes a great comeback story and BOTH Smith and Harbaugh land huge pay days once contract time comes around again.

-IF Alex fails...he's effectively DONE in the NFL as a starter or at the very least...does significant damage to his career by pretty much cementing himself as a back up for a few more years. If Smith walks...he's young enough (26) to go to a legit team with legit coaches and a legit, established offense where he can do reasonably well and not deal with booing and pressure, etc.

-IF Alex walks and Harbaugh goes with an unknown and STILL fails...fans will be forgiving because, "1st year coach, rookie QB, 'starting over w/new offense,' etc etc." He'll have a built in excuse.

-IF Alex fails...Harbaugh basically is on a short leash with fans and it will basically be viewed as his 1st and worst decision as a coach.

In other words, Harbaugh better be EXTREMELY sure and confident that Alex WILL (not just "can") succeed in SF in 2011. Otherwise...it's just way too risky for him as a new coach, stupid on Alex's part, and fvcked up to put Smith through bullsht in SF for another year...just let the man walk and let us fans get some fresh faces and a new start.

Not really, if Alex plays like s**t then he gets a chance at his boy Luck, or Matt Barkley, Ryan Lindley, Pryor, Landry Jones, etc. Next year's QB crop is WAAAAY better than this year's. Everyone will blame this year on Smith and give Harbaugh a pass with a new QB who is supposed to be a franchise guy.

Not really. Last year everyone was talking about the QB of the ages . . . Locker. Kinda like they're going on about Luck this year. Mallet, Ponder and all those other studs coming out. Except now that we're actually here, they're all . . . well . . . garbage. Right!? And some of the guys this year weren't even on the horizon last year and could actually be very good. Newton, for example.

This year is not much different from what you'll be looking at next year. Quite possibly better. Want Luck? Take Locker this year . . . he was last year's Luck.

Not saying that Locker should be the team's selection, but you don't know what the perception on Luck will be next year. There are no promises.

It's lamentable . . . pretty sorry actually . . . when people are constantly talking "wait till next year!" It's "this year" now. Let's deal with it.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Not really, if Alex plays like s**t then he gets a chance at his boy Luck, or Matt Barkley, Ryan Lindley, Pryor, Landry Jones, etc. Next year's QB crop is WAAAAY better than this year's. Everyone will blame this year on Smith and give Harbaugh a pass with a new QB who is supposed to be a franchise guy.

Yeah but we could have easily "blamed" this year all on Smith and retained Singletary using that argument. I'm not saying Harbaugh will get fired or anything but...fans are going to be hyper critical of him of he retains AND starts Alex compared to signing Kolb (sort of unknown) or starting a draft pick (an unknown).

Anytime you sprinkle some Alex on anything 49er related you're asking every move to be over analyzed, dissected 20 million ways, etc.

Frankly, I just wish Alex would leave so that we won't have to read more threads about his "lack of swag" or how his throw on 1st down in the 2nd quarter with 11 min left was not an ideal throw because his hips were not square to his shoulder blah blah. :)
I have a serious question for all the Smith detractors. I am not trying to start anything at all I just really want to know.

Do you ever entertain the possibility that you are wrong? When a coach like Harbaugh says some positive things that don't go with your view of the situation does it cross your mind that "Hey, I might not know as much as that guy... I am possibly wrong about this one. Maybe I should adjust me opinion somewhat" ?

I know that I am constantly adjusting my opinion as facts come out on this and other topics. I would be interested in understanding how that thought process works with you.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
I have a serious question for all the Smith detractors. I am not trying to start anything at all I just really want to know.

Do you ever entertain the possibility that you are wrong? When a coach like Harbaugh says some positive things that don't go with your view of the situation does it cross your mind that "Hey, I might not know as much as that guy... I am possibly wrong about this one. Maybe I should adjust me opinion somewhat" ?

I know that I am constantly adjusting my opinion as facts come out on this and other topics. I would be interested in understanding how that thought process works with you.

NO

Six years of the most godawful QB play says Im right.

Also I think too many people are taking Harbaugh's words as scripture. The fact is we simply dont know what kind of pro coach he will be, he may ending being an epic fail for all we know.
[ Edited by susweel on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:17 AM ]
Originally posted by susweel:

NO

Also I think too many people are taking Harbaugh's words as scripture. The fact is we simply dont know what kind of pro coach he will be, he may ending being an epic fail for all we know.

Pretty much. It's not like Harbaugh is betting his entire coaching career on Smith. If we sign him it's going to be a short term deal and there's no guarantee that he'll last 5 weeks as the starter. I think most coaches would want to try and resurrect Smith. He's a good guy, a number one pick, and has shown some ability, and has a rapport with the rest of the team. That doesn't mean Harbaugh is in love with him.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:26 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by tjd808185:

NO

Pretty much. It's not like Harbaugh is betting his entire coaching career on Smith. If we sign him it's going to be a short term deal and there's no guarantee that he'll last 5 weeks as the starter. I think most coaches would want to try and resurrect Smith. He's a good guy, a number one pick, and has shown some ability, and has a rapport with the rest of the team. That doesn't mean Harbaugh is in love with him.

Exactly

Like I said he wants to bring him in to compete then fine. Because we all know what happens to Alex in QB competitions.

hmmm....

I dont Smith has ever won a QB competition....^
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
hmmm....

He's lost to Rattay, JTO and Shaun Hill.

Tim Kawakami's job is to stir up controversy so that people read him. He is like any good reporter supposed to dig for the truth and not be a homer, so I don't mind him. If you don't like what a reporter says just don't read his articles. Now that I made my relevant posts regarding the original nature of this post I will digress, since everyone else is...

Alex Smith is Ryan Leaf and Aaron Rodgers is Peyton Manning. Why? Not so much that he has Peyton's stats...yet, but because Rodgers was thought of as more NFL ready at the time Like Peyton and Ryan had more upside like Alex. Well we now know how that turned out in both cases.

People who are in denial and keep saying people who don't like Alex are running out of steam and have no facts. Well read Matt Maiocco on Smith and Competition, he lost every competition, oh and the injury he suffered during the comp with JTO, well he lost that comp. before his injury. If you say Harbaugh will fix his mechanics. Hello, Martz, Turner and McCarthy are all superbowl winning QB coaches and coodinators, if he hasn't learned how to fix his mechanics by now, he never will.

The only argument is that Harbaugh will be a better head coach and not be so obvious in how the offense executes which may make like Alex is a better QB. However I give you the Ravens and Dilfer as an example. This however does not make Alex a good or great QB candidate now or the future. as for the argument that all great QBs make mistakes, yes that is true, but not to the extent that Alex does. Yes I have watched the games on TV or listened to the radio. Those who use the last game for stats-who was this against now? Did the game mean anything to either of the team? No. How about his QB pass rating you ask in the last seven games. Well lets look at that, it is tempered with great ratings against sub par teams and poor ratings against above par teams. Yes the schemes suck, but still he should hit the WR more than he did. He is inconsistent when the team needs him to carry the team.

I see it for what it is-due to the CBA, it limited the options, Smith may be a stop gap measure as we develope our QB of the future. You guys-both sides want to know if Harbaugh is serious about Smith? Watch and see what kind of contract the team offers him. Less than three years, Harbaugh is not serious in his public assessment and just covering his ass as this will make turning the reins over to the true successor easier. Think of it as regent filling in till the emperor has grown up. Alex Smith will never be the emperor. If the contract is 4 years then Harbaugh is serious in his assessment.

Either way, I am not a pro, non the less I stand by my own beliefs Alex Smith is not a good or great QB, never will be and that is what I want for the Niners, a Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Peyton, Montana or Young. Notice not all the QBs are 1rst round picks.
[ Edited by WildBill on Feb 21, 2011 at 12:55 PM ]
Originally posted by WildBill:
Tim Kawakami's job is to stir up controversy so that people read him. He is like any good reporter supposed to dig for the truth and not be a homer, so I don't mind him. If you don't like what a reporter says just don't read his articles. Now that I made my relevant posts regarding the original nature of this post I will digress, since everyone else is...

Alex Smith is Ryan Leaf and Aaron Rodgers is Peyton Manning. Why? Not so much that he has Peyton's stats...yet, but because Rodgers was thought of as more NFL ready at the time Like Peyton and Ryan had more upside like Alex. Well we now know how that turned out in both cases.

People who are in denial and keep saying people who don't like Alex are running out of steam and have no facts. Well read Matt Maiocco on Smith and Competition, he lost every competition, oh and the injury he suffered during the comp with JTO, well he lost that comp. before his injury. If you say Harbaugh will fix his mechanics. Hello, Martz, Turner and McCarthy are all superbowl winning QB coaches and coodinators, if he hasn't learned how to fix his mechanics by now, he never will.

The only argument is that Harbaugh will be a better head coach and not be so obvious in how the offense executes which may make like Alex is a better QB. However I give you the Ravens and Dilfer as an example. This however does not make Alex a good or great QB candidate now or the future. as for the argument that all great QBs make mistakes, yes that is true, but not to the extent that Alex does. Yes I have watched the games on TV or listened to the radio. Those who use the last game for stats-who was this against now? Did the game mean anything to either of the team? No. How about his QB pass rating you ask in the last seven games. Well lets look at that, it is tempered with great ratings against sub par teams and poor ratings against above par teams. Yes the schemes suck, but still he should hit the WR more than he did. He is consistent when the team needs him to carry the team.

I see it for what it is-due to the CBA, it limited the options, Smith may be a stop gap measure as we develope our QB of the future. You guys-both sides want to know if Harbaugh is serious about Smith? Watch and see what kind of contract the team offers him. Less than three years, Harbaugh is not serious in his public assessment and just covering his ass as this will make turning the reins over to the true successor easier. Think of it as regent filling in till the emperor has grown up. Alex Smith will never be the emperor. If the contract is 4 years then Harbaugh is serious in his assessment.

Either way, I am not a pro, non the less I stand by my own beliefs Alex Smith is not a good or great QB, never will be and that is what I want for the Niners, a Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Peyton, Montana or Young. Notice not all the QBs are 1rst round picks.

Great Post.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
hmmm....

He's lost to Rattay, JTO and Shaun Hill.

Damn 0-3
Share 49ersWebzone