LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Most Over-rated Player from 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Most Over-rated Player from 2010

[ Edited by Frisco69ers on Feb 16, 2011 at 09:16:07 ]
haralson no doubt many of us expected him to have a huge year fllowing his 2009 year
Clements. Burned on double-moves, makes INTs then fumbles them, etc. That's not what an "elite" CB would allow. Our whole secondary was our weakness in pass D. I almost mentioned Goldson because he had the hype and wanted big $$$$, but didn't get it. Clements was an overpaid FA that was brought in to make a difference and at first he did make an impact. But this season, he regressed and doesn't deserve even a pay reduction, just release him...and offer his money to NA from across the bay.
Who rated Will James?

My answer is Joe Staley. Just an all out disappointment to me. Instead of being on a pro bowl level he was below average. this thread seems like deja vu.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Who rated Will James?

My answer is Joe Staley. Just an all out disappointment to me. Instead of being on a pro bowl level he was below average. this thread seems like deja vu.

Could be hard to point the finger at Staley, He could of been trying to overcompensate for the rook next to him. Especially at left tackle where reaction time is key, if he is worrying about whether Iupati made the correct read could throw his timing off. Staley was never one of the best in the league but was solid, something like this could throw him off his game.

It's gotta be Goldson. Contract year, thinks he's a stud but then just played average. Could of seen it coming though, take away the Cards game from the year before and he played the same.

Next vote would be Chilo, don't know if he just doesn't have the mental capacity for the game but I would prefer Baas, Heitmann, or Snyder over him at RG.
Mike Singletary
Who rated Will James?

I hate Will James but we signed him to be our primary backup Cb along with Brown
It is by far and away Goldson. He had a lot of hype and admittedly, some of it was legitimate but he just didn't deliver. He missed WAY too many routine tackles and he was routinely ineffective on blitzes as he tried to decapitate the QB instead of soundly sacking them. And this is without mentioning his lack of playing making ability at a crucial position and his porous pass defense.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Feb 16, 2011 at 10:11:44 ]
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Clements. Burned on double-moves, makes INTs then fumbles them, etc. That's not what an "elite" CB would allow. Our whole secondary was our weakness in pass D. I almost mentioned Goldson because he had the hype and wanted big $$$$, but didn't get it. Clements was an overpaid FA that was brought in to make a difference and at first he did make an impact. But this season, he regressed and doesn't deserve even a pay reduction, just release him...and offer his money to NA from across the bay.

Don't forget that Clements also runs into opposing players, negating interceptions and instead causing pass interference penalties.

A person who should really be added to this list is Ahmad Brooks. Can't think straight, negates interceptions by himself and gives up free plays because he always jumps offsides. He took his sacks from last year and did nothing this year.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

Don't forget that Clements also runs into opposing players, negating interceptions and instead causing pass interference penalties.

A person who should really be added to this list is Ahmad Brooks. Can't think straight, negates interceptions by himself and gives up free plays because he always jumps offsides. He took his sacks from last year and did nothing this year.

-9fA

But was there any real belief that Clements would turn around how he played in the prior year, where it was evident he no longer has skills to be a cover corner? Causing 50 threads on moving him to safety... Is he over-rated compared to his salary, totally. But compared to expectations... I think he was par for the course. Good run defense, bad pass defense has been what we have come to expect from him.

Another case of putting decent players in positions too fail. Clements seems to be better suited for the Tampa 2, and Lawson is better suited as a 4-3 OLB. Would of been nice to put some packages together to show this and shop them as trade bait.

We know all of those guys under performed but for some reason people who arent 9er fans love Goldston. Hes a bum that beats up on crappy teams and makes sportscenter highlights.
None of the guys on this list are even above average by NFL standards. How can they be overrated?
this is sooooo easy....................

[ Edited by Allx9er on Feb 16, 2011 at 10:48:32 ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Who rated Will James?

Could be hard to point the finger at Staley, He could of been trying to overcompensate for the rook next to him. Especially at left tackle where reaction time is key, if he is worrying about whether Iupati made the correct read could throw his timing off. Staley was never one of the best in the league but was solid, something like this could throw him off his game.

It's gotta be Goldson. Contract year, thinks he's a stud but then just played average. Could of seen it coming though, take away the Cards game from the year before and he played the same.

Next vote would be Chilo, don't know if he just doesn't have the mental capacity for the game but I would prefer Baas, Heitmann, or Snyder over him at RG.

Yea Staley has been solid, and I was expecting him to improve not regress. His pass protection was just poor. And it was speed rushers on the edge that kept beating him. That has nothing to do with having a rookie next to him. The guy just under performed. It could have more to do with Baas not calling the correct protection scheme. Just hope he returns to form.
Who rated Will James?

He was really just hurt though. Many "experts" say he's a solid LT. Not elite but solid.

If I do recall, ESPN re-draft had him going in the top 15.
Share 49ersWebzone