LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Alex Smith the starter next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by excelsior:
The common attitude that I get from most Alex critics is to get rid of him and get someone better. That sounds so simple on the surface. But it bespeaks a failure to appreciate how difficult it is to play QB in the NFL. It is the most difficult position to play and that is why there are so few really good ones.

Consider all of the QBs starting for about 200 major college teams. We have about 80 QBs on 32 NFL rosters. Assuming a 10 year career span, that is only 8 QB rookies going into the NFL each year. Yet, of the 32 teams, there are probably 10 that you would call "elite," the kind a 49er fan demands guide his team in the years to come. On average, that represents only 1 QB coming out of college each year. There may be a few more on rosters that someday will be considered "elite" but history suggests that it isn't many.

Some claim Alex is the worst QB in the NFL, which is a laughable claim. Others, however, complain that he is only average, which he may be, but some teams would love to have just an average QB at the moment.

Some demand that we trade for Kolb, Orton, Palmer, etc. But do not forget that there a at least 10 other teams looking to upgrade their QB and the competition for these guys will be intense and their price will be inflated.

The upshot of this discussion is that I think Harbaugh realizes this as well as any; after all he struggled to be a quality QB himself. He knows that most teams must find a way to win with a QB who is not elite.

Harbaugh probably realizes that Alex is the best available for the moment. It is not certain that Orton, Kolb, Palmer are better than him, and they will cost in valuable draft choices will be excessive, while Alex will not cost them any d/c. So until his critics can point out a truly intelligent alternative path, they should hold their tongues.

Love reading your posts...great study breaks, great comic relief. Keep it up

Lol. I agree. Some of this stuff cannot be taken seriously, man.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
The common attitude that I get from most Alex critics is to get rid of him and get someone better. That sounds so simple on the surface. But it bespeaks a failure to appreciate how difficult it is to play QB in the NFL. It is the most difficult position to play and that is why there are so few really good ones.

Consider all of the QBs starting for about 200 major college teams. We have about 80 QBs on 32 NFL rosters. Assuming a 10 year career span, that is only 8 QB rookies going into the NFL each year. Yet, of the 32 teams, there are probably 10 that you would call "elite," the kind a 49er fan demands guide his team in the years to come. On average, that represents only 1 QB coming out of college each year. There may be a few more on rosters that someday will be considered "elite" but history suggests that it isn't many.

Some claim Alex is the worst QB in the NFL, which is a laughable claim. Others, however, complain that he is only average, which he may be, but some teams would love to have just an average QB at the moment.

Some demand that we trade for Kolb, Orton, Palmer, etc. But do not forget that there a at least 10 other teams looking to upgrade their QB and the competition for these guys will be intense and their price will be inflated.

The upshot of this discussion is that I think Harbaugh realizes this as well as any; after all he struggled to be a quality QB himself. He knows that most teams must find a way to win with a QB who is not elite.

Harbaugh probably realizes that Alex is the best available for the moment. It is not certain that Orton, Kolb, Palmer are better than him, and they will cost in valuable draft choices will be excessive, while Alex will not cost them any d/c. So until his critics can point out a truly intelligent alternative path, they should hold their tongues.

I know some of his stuff is really homeristic at times, but that was actually a really good realistic post excel made there. I'm not sure why you guys are laughing.
He very well could be. Getting the right FA will be tougher than people think. A rookie won't be ready. And we may not get the right one of those either. So who are we left with then? Honestly we may have to buy time with him for 1 more year as crazy as it may sound. And really under Harbaugh he could be slightly better. Nobody can coach you down worse than Nolan and Singletary. Completely clueless about QB's.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Feb 16, 2011 at 8:18 PM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

I know some of his stuff is really homeristic at times, but that was actually a really good realistic post excel made there. I'm not sure why you guys are laughing.

They are laughing because they do not comprehend team sports, it was a good post and made a valid point, they have no answer for it, so they ridicule like the ridiculous posters they are. They themselves are the ones that should not be taken seriously.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

They are laughing because they do not comprehend team sports, it was a good post and made a valid point, they have no answer for it, so they ridicule like the ridiculous posters they are. They themselves are the ones that should not be taken seriously.

Originally posted by lamontb:
another lost season if Smith starts
Thanks Memphis and San Diego. You can tell when your point has scored. It is when your adversaries have nothing to fall back on but ridicule.
Thanks Memphis and San Diego. You can tell when your point has scored. It is when your adversaries have nothing to fall back on but ridicule.

Uh huh, yeah, sure.

Dude, we all know that you really like Alex Smith, and that no matter how much someone tries to show you that he is nothing more than a garbage/average QB, you will stick to your argument. Were joking around now b/c the content of your posts have come to a point where their redundant and you actually think people understand them.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
You say Smith is on the bottom of every statistical category and that Palmer
is better, yet Palmer had a lower qb rating than Smith this year? Make sense much?

Smith stans? Really? WTF does that even mean?

even kolb isnt much better and he has better coaching and the better team and orton led what a 2 win team

Kolb has never had the opportunity to play in a bunch of games in a row. A QB needs to do that to get in a rythym and get in his groove. Can't expect a QB to develop and grow if he only plays 5 games a year, and that too, not consecutively. I'm still a bit iffy on Kolb, but I think he has potential to be much much better than Alex.

Orton won 3 games this year while the Broncos won 4. His 3 wins are the same amount as the games that Alex won this year.
In talking Kolb or Orton, here is your choice:

Who would you rather have, a stud pass rushing OLB like Von Miller, OR Kevin Kolb?

Or would you rather have Kyle Orton or prototype CB Prince Amukamara?

That is what you need to consider when you talk about trading. Neither Orton nor Kolb will get traded for less than a #1 round pick this year...and that means the #7 OVERALL. Do you really think EITHER of those guys is worth the #7 overall pick?
Originally posted by dj43:
is better, yet Palmer had a lower qb rating than Smith this year? Make sense much?

even kolb isnt much better and he has better coaching and the better team and orton led what a 2 win team

Kolb has never had the opportunity to play in a bunch of games in a row. A QB needs to do that to get in a rythym and get in his groove. Can't expect a QB to develop and grow if he only plays 5 games a year, and that too, not consecutively. I'm still a bit iffy on Kolb, but I think he has potential to be much much better than Alex.

Orton won 3 games this year while the Broncos won 4. His 3 wins are the same amount as the games that Alex won this year.

Who would you rather have, a stud pass rushing OLB like Von Miller, OR Kevin Kolb?

That is what you need to consider when you talk about trading. Neither Orton nor Kolb will get traded for less than a #1 round pick this year...and that means the #7 OVERALL. Do you really think EITHER of those guys is worth the #7 overall pick?

No one has said that Orton will be worth a 1st.

Stop making stuff up.

This will be a very long argument, I'll chime in again when Alex signs.
  • dj43

Stop making stuff up.
Yes, there have been several NFL observers that have noted the dire lack of quality QBs around the league and observed that the bidding for Orton will start with a low 2nd and wind up with a #1. It is well accepted that Kolb, who has played very little, will bring a #1 if Philly really agrees to move him. If they get it, that moves Orton into the "next" spot and the bidding will immediately go up.

But back to my question: would you rather have Kolb than Amukamara or Miller?
Latest mocks have us taking Patrick peterson, just to sweeten your proposition.

Stop making stuff up.
Yes, there have been several NFL observers that have noted the dire lack of quality QBs around the league and observed that the bidding for Orton will start with a low 2nd and wind up with a #1. It is well accepted that Kolb, who has played very little, will bring a #1 if Philly really agrees to move him. If they get it, that moves Orton into the "next" spot and the bidding will immediately go up.

But back to my question: would you rather have Kolb than Amukamara or Miller?

I think that Orton could be had for a 2nd. You're just pointing out speculation, not facts. We'll see, though.

I would not trade a 1st for either one of those guys, though. So yes, I would rather have a Peterson/Prince/Quinn/Miller at #7.

Now, I have a question for you. Would you like to have Kolb or Orton for a 2nd?

He did?

Alex Smith QB Rating: 82.1
Carson Palmer QB Rating: 82.4

There's something you don't seem to understand. When analyzing a player you don't JUST look at one year of stats. To make a proper assessment, you look at their entire career and look to see if there is a common theme (ie: declining numbers, upswing, etc.).

See, Carson's ceiling is elite. Why? Because at one point he was elite. So there is a possibility in a WEAKER division with the "QB guru" that Carson could regain his elite play.

Now, when you look at Alex's stats....and his history of QB'ing in the NFL...they are weak. His stats over the last 2 years are quite similar...it's safe to say that the odds are he will put up the same numbers next year. Or he could regress and put up poorer numbers. There is absolutely nothing in his stats or is erratic play that shows you that he can play at an elite level.

It's funny that Carson's worst year of his career was last year. Yet his numbers were still better than Alex's best single season numbers. It's funny that "Alex" didn't have the benefit of playing with an offensive HC and a top tier OC (even though he did). Carson doesn't get this excuse though. If you say Alex will put up better numbers with an offensive HC, couldn't you say the same for Carson?

stan = a maniacal fan. Eminem made a song called "Stan". Go listen to it.
[ Edited by JayBee on Feb 16, 2011 at 9:50 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone