LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Alex Smith the starter next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
I can't wait till he re-signs! I am one of the few people who have faith in Alex, plus the addition of Harbaugh and Co. Give him a one year deal and let him shine. This place will explode when he does re-sign and I will love it!

Umm, yeah, you'll see that happen when tiny monkeys fly out of my gigantic behind.

There's no way that Harbaugh keeps Coach Killer around. He'll want to develop his own guy -- not take on somebody's sloppy seconds.

This is all about "messaging" my friends -- and it appears that Harbaugh is very good at it. Where NoWin and Dingleberry didn't have a clue about messaging, Harbaugh obviously does, and he's making great use of those talents.

Exactly. Harbaugh is just being PC and making sure he says good things about Alex so if there is a lockout, we can just resign him. And if there is no lockout, he can go out and get any other QB he wants other than Alex, and he will also have done him a favor by speaking highly of him, which might raise his stock a bit.

cmon man if harbrough wanted to stay on just good terms on alex why is he having multime meetings and saying all these good things

if u remember the interview when he joined the team he was very pecimistic about alex when qb situation was asked he said we look explore our options meaning he wont look inside the orgnization

what im saying is that we may keep alex and we may not but he definitally likes alex at least a little

Dude, seriously is it that hard to understand? He's saying good things about him so if there is a lockout, he is able to bring him back, and thats the same reason for why he is meeting with him. If there is a lockout, Alex is our best option, b/c he is obviously better than Carr.
I can't wait till he re-signs! I am one of the few people who have faith in Alex, plus the addition of Harbaugh and Co. Give him a one year deal and let him shine. This place will explode when he does re-sign and I will love it!

Umm, yeah, you'll see that happen when tiny monkeys fly out of my gigantic behind.

There's no way that Harbaugh keeps Coach Killer around. He'll want to develop his own guy -- not take on somebody's sloppy seconds.

This is all about "messaging" my friends -- and it appears that Harbaugh is very good at it. Where NoWin and Dingleberry didn't have a clue about messaging, Harbaugh obviously does, and he's making great use of those talents.

Exactly. Harbaugh is just being PC and making sure he says good things about Alex so if there is a lockout, we can just resign him. And if there is no lockout, he can go out and get any other QB he wants other than Alex, and he will also have done him a favor by speaking highly of him, which might raise his stock a bit.

cmon man if harbrough wanted to stay on just good terms on alex why is he having multime meetings and saying all these good things

if u remember the interview when he joined the team he was very pecimistic about alex when qb situation was asked he said we look explore our options meaning he wont look inside the orgnization

what im saying is that we may keep alex and we may not but he definitally likes alex at least a little

Dude, seriously is it that hard to understand? He's saying good things about him so if there is a lockout, he is able to bring him back, and thats the same reason for why he is meeting with him. If there is a lockout, Alex is our best option, b/c he is obviously better than Carr.

ok if he is doing it for sake of lockout why is he going over and above having multiple meetings saying things about alex that dont need to be said by naming specific things he likes about football games rather than just say he is a smart talented kid

ur right he may be doing it just for CBA but he is going way above and beyond of what he needs to do to get alex to like him by having multiple face to face meetings and workouts and saying ya alex is defnitally in the mix
Looks like it.......
The common attitude that I get from most Alex critics is to get rid of him and get someone better. That sounds so simple on the surface. But it bespeaks a failure to appreciate how difficult it is to play QB in the NFL. It is the most difficult position to play and that is why there are so few really good ones.

Consider all of the QBs starting for about 200 major college teams. We have about 80 QBs on 32 NFL rosters. Assuming a 10 year career span, that is only 8 QB rookies going into the NFL each year. Yet, of the 32 teams, there are probably 10 that you would call "elite," the kind a 49er fan demands guide his team in the years to come. On average, that represents only 1 QB coming out of college each year. There may be a few more on rosters that someday will be considered "elite" but history suggests that it isn't many.

Some claim Alex is the worst QB in the NFL, which is a laughable claim. Others, however, complain that he is only average, which he may be, but some teams would love to have just an average QB at the moment.

Some demand that we trade for Kolb, Orton, Palmer, etc. But do not forget that there a at least 10 other teams looking to upgrade their QB and the competition for these guys will be intense and their price will be inflated.

The upshot of this discussion is that I think Harbaugh realizes this as well as any; after all he struggled to be a quality QB himself. He knows that most teams must find a way to win with a QB who is not elite.

Harbaugh probably realizes that Alex is the best available for the moment. It is not certain that Orton, Kolb, Palmer are better than him, and they will cost in valuable draft choices will be excessive, while Alex will not cost them any d/c. So until his critics can point out a truly intelligent alternative path, they should hold their tongues.

ok if he is doing it for sake of lockout why is he going over and above having multiple meetings saying things about alex that dont need to be said by naming specific things he likes about football games rather than just say he is a smart talented kid

ur right he may be doing it just for CBA but he is going way above and beyond of what he needs to do to get alex to like him by having multiple face to face meetings and workouts and saying ya alex is defnitally in the mix

edit: also watch the harbrough interview when he was introduced it clearly looked like he was going outside of the orginization for the qb i remember this clearly cause i wanted alex to come
Originally posted by excelsior:
The common attitude that I get from most Alex critics is to get rid of him and get someone better. That sounds so simple on the surface. But it bespeaks a failure to appreciate how difficult it is to play QB in the NFL. It is the most difficult position to play and that is why there are so few really good ones.

Consider all of the QBs starting for about 200 major college teams. We have about 80 QBs on 32 NFL rosters. Assuming a 10 year career span, that is only 8 QB rookies going into the NFL each year. Yet, of the 32 teams, there are probably 10 that you would call "elite," the kind a 49er fan demands guide his team in the years to come. On average, that represents only 1 QB coming out of college each year. There may be a few more on rosters that someday will be considered "elite" but history suggests that it isn't many.

Some claim Alex is the worst QB in the NFL, which is a laughable claim. Others, however, complain that he is only average, which he may be, but some teams would love to have just an average QB at the moment.

Some demand that we trade for Kolb, Orton, Palmer, etc. But do not forget that there a at least 10 other teams looking to upgrade their QB and the competition for these guys will be intense and their price will be inflated.

The upshot of this discussion is that I think Harbaugh realizes this as well as any; after all he struggled to be a quality QB himself. He knows that most teams must find a way to win with a QB who is not elite.

Harbaugh probably realizes that Alex is the best available for the moment. It is not certain that Orton, Kolb, Palmer are better than him, and they will cost in valuable draft choices will be excessive, while Alex will not cost them any d/c. So until his critics can point out a truly intelligent alternative path, they should hold their tongues.

Alex Smith has been garbage for his entire career. Anyone is better than him.
^ Harbaugh looked outside the organization, IMO he knows that Alex Smith is one of his top options now.

He looked, he saw, he is talking to Alex.

It's not even about getting a better QB. It's about turning the page on him. A fresh start.

As far as him being average. He isn't. He ranks in the bottom 3rd in virtually every statistical category...and that's in his "best" years.

Orton, Kolb and Palmer are all better than Alex. But that's besides the point. Turn the page.

The CBA issue is a blessing for Alex stans. Mainly because now you've changed your tune to "there's nobody out there" and "Alex is the best possible solution". You better hope the lockout lasts through the summer or else your buddy will be holding a clipboard in San Diego.
You say Smith is on the bottom of every statistical category and that Palmer
is better, yet Palmer had a lower qb rating than Smith this year? Make sense much?

Smith stans? Really? WTF does that even mean?
[ Edited by 49ersNoKaOi on Feb 16, 2011 at 7:28 PM ]
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Alex Smith has been garbage for his entire career. Anyone is better than him.

Who is this Anyone you speak of?

We gotta find him pronto

Smith has shown growth every year. If he gets with the right coaches, which we finally now have, he WILL be a top 10 qb in the NFL. Book it...
[ Edited by marls1 on Feb 16, 2011 at 7:32 PM ]
is better, yet Palmer had a lower qb rating than Smith this year? Make sense much?

even kolb isnt much better and he has better coaching and the better team and orton led what a 2 win team

I'm still convinced that some people on this board think they're smarter than Harbaugh(or any other coach for that matter) when the fact is, is that we all know squat about coaching in the NFL. I, for one, am just gonna sit back and see how it plays out. Bottom line, I want the best guy starting for us next year. If that's Alex Smith, then what do you do? Complain all you want, but it's not gonna change anything.

even kolb isnt much better and he has better coaching and the better team and orton led what a 2 win team

Kolb has never had the opportunity to play in a bunch of games in a row. A QB needs to do that to get in a rythym and get in his groove. Can't expect a QB to develop and grow if he only plays 5 games a year, and that too, not consecutively. I'm still a bit iffy on Kolb, but I think he has potential to be much much better than Alex.

Orton won 3 games this year while the Broncos won 4. His 3 wins are the same amount as the games that Alex won this year.

Love reading your posts...great study breaks, great comic relief. Keep it up
Share 49ersWebzone