LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 334 users in the forums

Alex Smith the starter next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i have a feeling that some of the Alex supporters hope this CBA doesn't get resolved so they can have their boy back on the team. Not accusing any specific person, but I just have this feeling that they'd rather choose no CBA deal and Alex Smith on the 49ers, as opposed to CBA deal with other options/FAs at other positions and no Alex Smith..
Originally posted by niner4life21:
i have a feeling that some of the Alex supporters hope this CBA doesn't get resolved so they can have their boy back on the team. Not accusing any specific person, but I just have this feeling that they'd rather choose no CBA deal and Alex Smith on the 49ers, as opposed to CBA deal with other options/FAs at other positions and no Alex Smith..

i think harbrough picks alex either way unless kolb is there for like a 3rd or 4th round pick

what he is talking above alex is now recruiting its beyond what he has to do
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Feb 18, 2011 at 5:50 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

i think harbrough picks alex either way unless kolb is there for like a 3rd or 4th round pick

Dude, no offense, but I've noticed that I don't understand what you're saying half the time. Are you posting from your phone or is English not your first language?

Dude, no offense, but I've noticed that I don't understand what you're saying half the time. Are you posting from your phone or is English not your first language?

phone lol im in my college class half the time im posting

hahaha fasho its cool bro.
Early in my career here, I've tried not to comment on topics without reading the entire threat but this one is impossible - so feel free to blast me or ban me or whatever. On to my thoughts...

1 -from a free agent only perspective, Alex Smith is probably the #1 available quarterback, regardless of what you think of him. Numerous teams will surely be bidding for him as their backup.

2 - Via trade, it appears the lucrative options are Kolb, Palmer, and McNabb.
a) the Eagles have subtley leaked that they want 2 first round pick for him; clearly no team would do this, it is a blatant maneuver to drive up his asking price. He can likely be had for low 1st or high 2nd. This price tag is still debatable as Kolb, while showing flashes of brilliance, is certainly untested as an NFL QB. Furthermore, trading for him at that price means you are certainly committing to him for at least a couple of years to justify the price. Long story short, Kolb is a ricky trade at best.
b)Palmer - The Bengals are claiming they won't trade, which drives up his price unless he hires Rosenhaus as his agent and he tanks himself. His value is questionable anyways - a couple bad seasons, some face-palm mistakes, consistently declining production. Even if we got him, he would be merely a place holder until the QB we eventually draft is ready. Worth a 4th or 5th round pick? Maybe. Worth the 2nd or 3rd the Bungles may be asking? Probably not.
c)McNabb - roughly the same situation as Palmer only he has a better resume and a (likely) lower asking price. However, he also may be tanking harder. He could probably be had for a 4th or 5th rounder, but our draftee or other FA signing may beat him out for the job.

3- the Draft. No QB in this class is anything close to a sure thing. The 2 sure-fire 1st rounders (Gabbert and Newton) have capital M Major question marks, and past that it is basically a crap shoot. No QB in this class possesses all the traits that the savior, Harbaugh, looks for in a QB.

Long story short (too late) Harbaugh may realize that,with the current labor situation, Alex Smith may realistically and practically be our best option as far as 2011/2012 goes. There is no better FA QB, the trade options will likely cost more than their true value, and the draft is most likely to net us a long term developmental QB.

So the question is not really WHY BRING ALEX SMITH BACK??? but more, why not bring him back?

Edit - didn't really make my point here: the available opportunities to upgrade our QB position are all risky, and I feel that most of them are too costly in terms of draft picks vs. reward. So utimately in a risk v. reward scenario, he might be the safest choice, as he will cost us nothing other than money and opportunity cost, which I don't deem to be particularly high.
[ Edited by Digger on Feb 18, 2011 at 6:14 PM ]

hahaha fasho its cool bro.

Class must simply be scintillating!
Originally posted by excelsior:
I understand susweel and BigMike. The tide is changing. So let's shut it down.

What tide?

72.1 career rating
57.1 completion %
174.1 ypg
6.2 ypa
51 TD
53 INT

....and here come the excuses of how you can't count [x] games because of [a, b, c, d, e] reasons.

....next comes the stats under super coordinator Mike Johnson...b/c obviously Alex Smith was 10x better under him, lol.
I absolutely hate the league for not figuring the CBA prior to now and the possible lockout looming. It hurts all of us and potential of roaming the land for QB's DB's and long snappers and place kickers too damn it.
I have disliked Alex's play since 08 i gave him a shot i was excited that we might get Aaron rodgers back in 05(my family consists of CAL alumni) but i thought maybe Alex could become something good or above average. I'm not a "hater" to me its just as simple as what i see from him on the field and the offensive results lacking to why i dont like him. Especially those WTF Bonehead moments, that even Alex quoted saying he was making "Bonehead" plays start of 2010 season. All that stuff frustrates me because of the highest draft choice possible we chose him with. Pretty obvious so far i havent liked the guy and have yellled at the TV and paced around angry during games so many times.

And he might be the best option next season with the CBA issues and this draft class. That pains me to say but i am not expecting the 9ers to do great things with a first year NFL HC who hasn't been a OC or at this level minus small role with the Raiders. I was at first apprehensive about Harbaugh the hype sucked me in i still think he will be a good HC, i am not thinking he will lead us to a super bowl within 4 years though. 5th year minimum. ANd he and Baalke are going to be in a corner with the short league year and all the nonsense CBA crap. So i will have to roll with the decision IF or when its made. But i will still be angry until he wins and wins in the playoffs and i think he'll be gone and relieved of his stop-gap duties before year 2 under JH. I rambled soooo much. Really dont want anyone thinking i like Alex though i just would rather win 6 games next year than 2 games. For my prides sake and hopefully at least beat the division plenty. And i don't want a rookie thrown in the fire and i dont want a rookie learning from Alex but he wont be. Our rookie will be learning from Jim Harbaugh and Roman, and JH has appeared to be good with young QB's. I look forward when were all talking about what to do with the 30-32nd draft choice in the first round in a couple years with a young star filled Defense and a Great young QB. But it looks like the possibility of settling for another ALex season in 2011 is getting bigger and bigger. As always though GO 49ers i want to beat every damn team out there. Especially the cowboys who we play next year.

^^^^^^You know they say dont drink and drive.....Dont drink and type opinions on NFL team message boards.
One thing I will say in defense of Smith last year. Sing never gave him a chance to get into a rythm. Every time we started moving the ball through the air, Sing would go back to the run. I was so sick of seeing run, run, pass or run, run, run, pass, run, run, run, run, pass. QBs need to get into a rythm with their WRs. I do think Harbaugh would allow Smith to get into a rythm.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

72.1 career rating
57.1 completion %
174.1 ypg
6.2 ypa
51 TD
53 INT

....and here come the excuses of how you can't count [x] games because of [a, b, c, d, e] reasons.

....next comes the stats under super coordinator Mike Johnson...b/c obviously Alex Smith was 10x better under him, lol.

Here's a new excuse you gotta put on your list:

Jim Harbaugh LIKES Alex Smith.
[ Edited by Method on Feb 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Leathaface:

72.1 career rating
57.1 completion %
174.1 ypg
6.2 ypa
51 TD
53 INT

Here's a new excuse you gotta put on your list:

Jim Harbaugh LIKES Alex Smith.

Hey, at least you got our coach's name right this time.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Oh look another Alex Smith thread.

Don't fight it, NinerGM. Resistance is futile and the pull to comment is irresistible.
Share 49ersWebzone