There are 229 users in the forums

RB options behind Gore

Shop Find 49ers gear online

RB options behind Gore

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by GEEK:
Resign Westbrook and focus on the critical needs: LB, QB, DB, NT, LB depth, FB, DB depth

Westbrook is too old and fragile, we need some young legs. You cant have two aging RBs.
  • bfree
  • Veteran

Career Statistics
Year GP ATT YDS AVG TD REC YDS TD
2008 11 259 1,253 4.8 11 29 247 1
2009 13 273 1,440 5.3 21 78 522 1
2010 11 234 1,097 4.7 14 39 267 2
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by sfout:
Noel Devine? If we got him to add 10+ pounds he would be an amazing back, I've been hoping that if we go for an RB it is either him or Kendall Hunter from Oklahoma State or even Jacquizz Rodgers from Oregon State.
Even if Gore is 100% healthy, he is 28 and due to be a FA in 2012 unless I missed something and could easily leave when the time comes(I wonder what Baalke is thinking about him because we resigned VD to that massive contract this year so why hasn't Gore received one? Is it because he is replaceable/on the outs with the staff? I am very curious as to way that is. I am actually hoping we don't resign Westbrook because it will force their hand in this draft to go after RB or another in free agency. I just find it hilarious that when I asked about Gore's trade value at the moment everyone went on to say he is the best/most essential player on our offense and then went on to say he isn't worth anything on the market, to me that is one hell of a contradiction.
I just read the "No Wholesale Roster Changes" article but RB/FB has a lot of uncertainty attached to it, Gore is 1 year away from the market, Westbrook is on the market and Norris is way to old to be effective. In all likelihood we will be replacing 1 RB and 1 FB this off season; Westbrook and Norris. We need to figure out Gore's future on this team ASAP -- I again wonder if it is Gore's doing or the front office's as to why he is still locked in to be a free agent in 2012.

You were ripped for asking about Gore's trade value because it was stupid question. Gore is a 28 year old RB with injury history teams would not trade us much at all to get him.

2nd he's one of our best players along w/VD, Willis, J.Smith so why trade him?

Lastly there is no reason for Baalke to be in a rush to extend Gore at this point. He will be 29 next offseason and won't command a big contract. Harbaugh's offense will fit a back like him PERFECTLY they will probably give him a 2-3 year deal either this offseason or next.

You shoot yourself in the foot by saying he is injury prone, if he was so injury prone why would we want to keep him? It isn't a stupid question when you are wondering if the team will move on from a 28 RB who is getting too old to handle the workload that he wants. Again I find it weird that you are saying he is the best player next to VD on offense yet we haven't offered him an extension yet. Sure leaves a lot of room for speculation.....

Anyway, Devine will end up being a gimmick like McCluster and if there was one single thing that about last years mock drafts that bugged me was that right up until draft day I saw countless boards with us taking him or C. J. Spiller. Going back to our backfield issues, there is simply no way they retain Westbrook if we don't offer him at least 30% of the carries. Sing clearly lied to him, telling him he would play a lot and barely used him the first 2/3s of the year. He then proceeded to show that he can still move and needy teams wont hesitate to throw money at him or the other old RB on the market L.T.
If we assume they don't resign Westbrook and with Gore's future with this team still up in the air I won't hesitate to say that we will draft a RB to put 3rd on the chart behind him and Dixon. But if we forget about Gore and just assume they sign him to an extension and Dixon and him actually split carries I could see us going after Le'Ron McClain in free agency or drafting a big bodied back like Kendall Hunter or a true FB like Havili or Marecic.
Originally posted by susweel:
Resign Westbrook and focus on the critical needs: LB, QB, DB, NT, LB depth, FB, DB depth

Westbrook is too old and fragile, we need some young legs. You cant have two aging RBs.

We need a Reggie Bush type runing back. All we got is bruisers at Runing Back..
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fakers23:

Don't start with the Reggie Bush talk, he is nothing more then a glorified kick returner. He is isn't even used for traditional running downs because he isn't physically capable of sustaining contact. All he does is catch screens and punt returns.

Don't start with the Reggie Bush talk, he is nothing more then a glorified kick returner. He is isn't even used for traditional running downs because he isn't physically capable of sustaining contact. All he does is catch screens and punt returns.

Woah! Dude someone got a serious case of Bush hate. lol All,I said is we need a Reggie type. Which is a reicever in the back field and a playmaker. Gore is great and all,but Dixon and him are North/South runners.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Woah! Dude someone got a serious case of Bush hate. lol All,I said is we need a Reggie type. Which is a reicever in the back field and a playmaker. Gore is great and all,but Dixon and him are North/South runners.

Yes I hate Reggie Bush, my bad for generalizing your statement. I agree that we need a speedster but I would not Classify those RBs as "reggie bush" type. Jaquizz Rodgers would be a good draft pick to go into that category.

Fun fact: Gore has 270 catches for 2283 yard and 9 TDs while Bush has 294 catches for 2142 yards and 12 TDs. Technically Gore is that "catch passes out of the back field/play maker" you speak of

[ Edited by sfout on Jan 27, 2011 at 18:41:31 ]
Originally posted by matt49er:
Noel Devine? If we got him to add 10+ pounds he would be an amazing back, I've been hoping that if we go for an RB it is either him or Kendall Hunter from Oklahoma State or even Jacquizz Rodgers from Oregon State.
Even if Gore is 100% healthy, he is 28 and due to be a FA in 2012 unless I missed something and could easily leave when the time comes(I wonder what Baalke is thinking about him because we resigned VD to that massive contract this year so why hasn't Gore received one? Is it because he is replaceable/on the outs with the staff? I am very curious as to way that is. I am actually hoping we don't resign Westbrook because it will force their hand in this draft to go after RB or another in free agency. I just find it hilarious that when I asked about Gore's trade value at the moment everyone went on to say he is the best/most essential player on our offense and then went on to say he isn't worth anything on the market, to me that is one hell of a contradiction.
I just read the "No Wholesale Roster Changes" article but RB/FB has a lot of uncertainty attached to it, Gore is 1 year away from the market, Westbrook is on the market and Norris is way to old to be effective. In all likelihood we will be replacing 1 RB and 1 FB this off season; Westbrook and Norris. We need to figure out Gore's future on this team ASAP -- I again wonder if it is Gore's doing or the front office's as to why he is still locked in to be a free agent in 2012.

You were ripped for asking about Gore's trade value because it was stupid question. Gore is a 28 year old RB with injury history teams would not trade us much at all to get him.

2nd he's one of our best players along w/VD, Willis, J.Smith so why trade him?

Lastly there is no reason for Baalke to be in a rush to extend Gore at this point. He will be 29 next offseason and won't command a big contract. Harbaugh's offense will fit a back like him PERFECTLY they will probably give him a 2-3 year deal either this offseason or next.

You shoot yourself in the foot by saying he is injury prone, if he was so injury prone why would we want to keep him? It isn't a stupid question when you are wondering if the team will move on from a 28 RB who is getting too old to handle the workload that he wants. Again I find it weird that you are saying he is the best player next to VD on offense yet we haven't offered him an extension yet. Sure leaves a lot of room for speculation.....

Anyway, Devine will end up being a gimmick like McCluster and if there was one single thing that about last years mock drafts that bugged me was that right up until draft day I saw countless boards with us taking him or C. J. Spiller. Going back to our backfield issues, there is simply no way they retain Westbrook if we don't offer him at least 30% of the carries. Sing clearly lied to him, telling him he would play a lot and barely used him the first 2/3s of the year. He then proceeded to show that he can still move and needy teams wont hesitate to throw money at him or the other old RB on the market L.T.
If we assume they don't resign Westbrook and with Gore's future with this team still up in the air I won't hesitate to say that we will draft a RB to put 3rd on the chart behind him and Dixon. But if we forget about Gore and just assume they sign him to an extension and Dixon and him actually split carries I could see us going after Le'Ron McClain in free agency or drafting a big bodied back like Kendall Hunter or a true FB like Havili or Marecic.

Try and stay with me here buddy I know it can be hard for you. I stated Gore is a 28 YO RB with 1 year left on his contract, the reason is that is not a commodity that NFL teams trade for.

Just because he's not something teams would trade assets for doesn't mean Frank Gore isn't valuable to the 49ers. He is still a very good RB, one of the best but the team is being wise with him they know what they have in him.

He absolutely is one of our best offensive players, and will be for another 1-3 years. Why would the team jump out there and throw some huge long term extension at him while he's still recovering from injury AND we have him signed through this season????

Comparing Gore and VD is stupid, they are completely different circumstances. Just because you give 1 player an extension doesn't necessaryily mean you jump to the next and give a long term deal.

Gore is easily re-signed when we want to, wise to proceed with caution here and not jump the gun.

[ Edited by matt49er on Jan 27, 2011 at 19:10:21 ]
Gore has a few years left with each year diminishing in ability and playing time. I'm hoping Dixon can step up. We'll see. We still need a scat back change of pace type who can block. Predictability was one of the roots of Singletary's demise
Unless Harbaugh can convince Westbrook that his role will be very different this year, he will not resign with the Niners. I really doubt he will be back with the team. He didn't appreciate sitting on the bench for 3/4 of the season.

With creative offensive minds tutoring them and no 8 man boxes waiting for them, both Gore and Dixon should look much better this year. They will finally be put in a position to run in space rather than fighting through traffic constantly. I think then we will be able to evaluate what Dixon is truly capable of. Of course, you could say that about the entire offensive unit of the team.

I'm virtually certain the Niners will draft a quick RB late in the draft and then pick up a FA later to challenge for a spot in training camp. They may also draft a FB in the draft too, most likely in the fourth round or later.

Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Unless Harbaugh can convince Westbrook that his role will be very different this year, he will not resign with the Niners. I really doubt he will be back with the team. He didn't appreciate sitting on the bench for 3/4 of the season.

With creative offensive minds tutoring them and no 8 man boxes waiting for them, both Gore and Dixon should look much better this year. They will finally be put in a position to run in space rather than fighting through traffic constantly. I think then we will be able to evaluate what Dixon is truly capable of. Of course, you could say that about the entire offensive unit of the team.

I'm virtually certain the Niners will draft a quick RB late in the draft and then pick up a FA later to challenge for a spot in training camp. They may also draft a FB in the draft too, most likely in the fourth round or later.

Well said. I agree
Devine!
Just think, if our coaching staff last year tell every running back that came into camp that Gore is god and they are just human, we probably could of signed Blout...
I know he has another year left on his contract but it sounds like the Jets might not be bringing LT back next season. I think he'd be an upgrade over Westbrooke, not sure if he'd want to come here and be the clear #2 to Gore though. Might want to come back home to Cali

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/264710-lt-may-prefer-retirement-to-limbo-with-jets?eref=sihp
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
I love AD's enthusiasm and talent. I just hate his style of running. He needs a month or two with roger Craig and he is golden. He stops his feet when he gets hit. Roger did not.
Share 49ersWebzone