There are 196 users in the forums

Why is Harbaugh not going to the Senior Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by excelsior:
What is wrong with some of you guys? You give San Diego a bad time because he brings up points or info that is relevant to the discussion. This is good. You may not agree with his conclusion, but show him some respect as a fellow fan. We do not all see the world the same way. If we all did, we'd all want to marry the same woman (boy, you guys are going to jump all over that comment).

Have you heard the saying a gentlemen says what he means and means what he says. SD is entitled to his opinions, but he words it in a way that is ridiculous at times and without thought. As if his vision is always right and the only way. I don't know how old he is but he comes across as someone young, inexperienced and immature. He chooses the comments that validate his beliefs but ignore the other half that gives a counter point. He makes ill informed comments as if they were fact. Example, not all the teams had their head coaches there, and not all first year coaches went, yet he states it as if ours were the only ones not to go.

Read his choice of words. Paraphrasing-critical error that he (Harbaugh) is not there...really - does he know that the majority don't stay to watch the game cause they can watch with a more critical eye on tape w/o emotion. What can he (Harbaugh) get at the senior bowl that he can't get at pro days, combines or private workoouts and interview? What is more critical-just drafting players without knowing what you have or knowing what you have so you know what you want to draft and how many at that position. The only statement I may agree with him is that Harbaugh does not know all the players in college just cause he coached college. However, Harbuagh has the type of players he has in mind, so some may have been eliminated (QB) and will not be considered. Not only that but Baalke and he are on the same page as he has talked with the GM on what his parameters were.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Not sure if this has been posted in here or anywhere else but it seems like everythings covered with Trent Baalke at the Senior Bowl, maybe why Harbaugh didnt go.

David White of the San Francisco Chronicle says 49ers general manager Trent Baalke is in his element at the Senior Bowl. White: "Deep inside, Baalke will forever be a field-level scout, and has been since the day he made the career change from high school athletic director in North Dakota to regional scout with the Jets 14 years ago. Some scouts socialized and schmoozed at the South team's practice Monday. Not Baalke. He stood on the sideline, often alone, eyes fixed on a receiver getting around a jam at the line of scrimmage, a left tackle getting leverage on a pass rusher, a cornerback breaking up a seam pass."

TRENT IS READY FOR WAR

As we've found out, JH isn't the only head coach not attending...be that as it may, he and Baalke felt it was better for him to get to know his new coaching staff and continue to evaluate his own players and potential FA's. Harbaugh can get all the observations/feedback from Baalke and his scouting team...plus, there will be a number of other opportunties to evaluate players. Coming from Stanford, JH had the opportunity to see many of the players in Mobile...so, I really don't see any problem staying in Santa Clara.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by JaxinSac:
it's not the differing opinions that are a challenge.. it's the breakdowns in logic (having your opinion based on the fact that you feel yourself better equipped to make football decisions than in this case Harbaugh) that is difficult to sort through. Furthermore, it's not like in this case it was said "it seems odd that Harbaugh wouldn't attend." It was more along the lines of "Harbaugh is an idiot that is making a crazy errror because everyone knows watching someone throw a football in a drill or run around cones is way more valuable than watching film of every play made in a game situation in college..our draft is ruined.."

Other teams and scouts and personnel people questioned it and found it unusual. Did you read the article?

Yes. I read the article and it's not a question of opinion, but spin. You conveniently left out the balance of the text that gives alternate, logical reasoning as to why Harbaugh is not at the Senior Bowl. The reason why you're being called out (again) is because of your constant zeal in prosecuting anything York. Since many of us have seen this behavior of yours in other threads, we're led to believe you have a personal agenda and not just making rational arguments about football/the team. In fact, I'd say you're on record stating "this team will never win under the Yorks." Therefore anything done under this ownership you vilify.

Deservedly, your extreme bias causes many here to question your credibility about anything 49ers (under the Yorks) and why we challenge the poster (you) before giving extensive consideration to what's argued.

THAT!
Up until the Harbaugh hire, virtually every decision made by the Yorks over the last 8 years has been an embarassing, humiliating fiasco. How could anyone not be upset with them? San Diego, as well as a number of others, including me, had no confidence in their decision making ability based on that long history.

I think we are all hopeful that the Baalke/Harbaugh hires represent a turning point. But I can understand why some of us may remain cautious. I can also understand why San Diego looked askance at this recent decision of H. to aoid the Senior Bowl. Although it may be defendable, on the surface it still appeared puzzling.

San Diego's outlook, even though it may be unpopular, is no less a valuable contribution to this forum than those who remain passionate critics of Alex Smith.
Up until the Harbaugh hire, virtually every decision made by the Yorks over the last 8 years has been an embarassing, humiliating fiasco. How could anyone not be upset with them? San Diego, as well as a number of others, including me, had no confidence in their decision making ability based on that long history.

I think we are all hopeful that the Baalke/Harbaugh hires represent a turning point. But I can understand why some of us may remain cautious. I can also understand why San Diego looked askance at this recent decision of H. to aoid the Senior Bowl. Although it may be defendable, on the surface it still appeared puzzling.

San Diego's outlook, even though it may be unpopular, is no less a valuable contribution to this forum than those who remain passionate critics of Alex Smith.

I think the sentiment is that he seems to complain and over-analyze every move the front office makes (or in this case, doesn't make). Just because the team isn't taking a course of action that a certain person doesn't approve of, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're doing something wrong.

Especially when you haven't even seen the end result of that action.

Far as I know, it isn't proven fact that coaches that attend the senior bowl fare better at picking QB's. Ergo, criticizing Harbaugh for not going is just blind complaining.
[ Edited by baltien on Jan 26, 2011 at 12:41 PM ]
I think it makes perfect sense. Baalke and his staff has been working on their evaluations all year. It's pratically an ongoing process.

Harbaugh just joined the team and needs to study the game film and find out which prospects he likes, based primarily on their football ability. Then, based on who he likes there, he'll bring in some guys for interviews and workouts to see how they are off the field. To me, that's how he process should go.

He did pretty well evaluating Romo, Garrard and those guys by just watching the film. Why doubt him now? He knows what he's looking for.

I think QB-desperate teams often go about the process wrong. It wouldn't be smart to fall in love with a player's charisma and charm at the Senior Bowl (or wherever) and let that influence your evaluation of their talent and potential; however, I think that happens too often. If a guy doesn't pass the eye test on film, Harbaugh shouldn't waste his time meeting with them.

This.

So you are saying anybody that knows somebody or worked for somebody is guilty by association? Blame the sins of the father (or mother) on the son? Every Japanese should pay for pearl harbor, every white guy should pay for slavery etc.?

Jed should not be lumped in with his dad. Just as Baalke should not be lumped in with Scott. They should be judged based on their actions. We all loved Eddie-but look at how much time needed and how much he messed up before getting Walsh!

My experience in life is that those who are very critical without looking at all the facts very rarely can live up to their own expectations are angry cause they themselves are failures, so to feel better about themselves they lash out small things. SD is like Nolan-micro picking and managing.

I am not saying Harbaugh is right or wrong, but to act like the sky is falling. As I said, it is the way he says it. Then when you give a counterpoint-instead of just saying point taken, but I believe it might be served...he words his thing in such a way as the others don't know what they are talking about.

I have already stated the many reasons why I don't think this topic is one of critical mass, but I'll add-Hue Jackson is a new coach but is there, why? Because he is familiar with what is on the rooster. Even he stated in a later interview after initially saying that coaches should be here (at the college all star practice), that it is also dependent on the how familiar the coach is with the rooster and how much a person trusts his people. People who nitpick rarely succeed. Bill Walsh delegated and trusted others, but would interject only if he thought otherwise. He had a plan and would follow that plan. Harbaugh has a plan and is following it. I would be more worried if Harbaugh became wishy washy just to please the webzone opinion.
Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com says 2011 marks the first time in recent memory a 49ers coaching staff has not attended Senior Bowl practices. General manager Trent Baalke: "Well, there's nothing to that. If the coaches would've been on staff and ready to go, they'd certainly be down here. The reason they're not down here is because most of them just came in as of Monday and coach [Jim Harbaugh] just felt it was a better opportunity to get them all together, get them working on the schedule for the offseason."

Share 49ersWebzone