LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Now with the staff shaping up, who are those guys we must retain on the roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rizo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LBCniner:
Nobody likes Ginn? I dont know if anyone noticed, but last year we didn't lose any punts to fumbles because of him! In previous years special teams have killed us, but now gives us remarkable improvement!

THANK U! I'm tired of all this hate towards GINN! Does anyone remember our ST before GINN was here? GINN needs to stay. Who cares if he's not a great WR, he can Return with the best of them. But everytime he gave us great field position, DINGLEBERRY would go 3 & out!
  • Rizo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
With the exception of the offensive and defensive lines -- turn the roster over completely.

I would keep Vernon because of his ability to block.

Walsh turned over the entire roster when he arrived in '79 -- with the exception of the offensive line (built by Monte Clarke). He also kept the defensive line intact, but added players like Dwayne (Tiny) Board and Fred Dean.

But as for linebackers? He cut everyone and rebuilt
Cornerbacks/Safeties? Cut everyone and rebuilt
Running Backs/Wide Receivers/Tight Ends? With the exception of Freddie Solomon, cut everyone and rebuilt
As for the QB (I think you know this)? Cut everyone and rebuilt

Two years after he took over a dramatically different looking team emerged. Young team too. Poised for greatness.

I'll never forget that '81 draft. Walsh drafted his entire starting defensive backfield -- including two All-Pros -- which includes one guy named Ronnie Lott.

That was DUMB! We have a good team. If we had a real Coach, we may be still playing, because we have as much talent on this team then some of the teams in the playoffs. New Coach & New QB and were in the Playoffs!
Originally posted by Rizo:
Nobody likes Ginn? I dont know if anyone noticed, but last year we didn't lose any punts to fumbles because of him! In previous years special teams have killed us, but now gives us remarkable improvement!

THANK U! I'm tired of all this hate towards GINN! Does anyone remember our ST before GINN was here? GINN needs to stay. Who cares if he's not a great WR, he can Return with the best of them. But everytime he gave us great field position, DINGLEBERRY would go 3 & out!

When the traded for GINN, which was a 5, I said if they get ANYTHING out of him in the passing game it would be a bonus. He got 1 TD.

As a PR / KR, it was a great trade. Do you guys remember our ST at the end of the season prior to last
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by Rizo:

When the traded for GINN, which was a 5, I said if they get ANYTHING out of him in the passing game it would be a bonus. He got 1 TD.

As a PR / KR, it was a great trade. Do you guys remember our ST at the end of the season prior to last

I keep trying to forget.

Thanks for reminding me.

Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
Originally posted by FLYPxSYDE:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by 4thewin:
giving up on Mays that quickly AB?

forgot him, but still not 100% sold on him, didnt like him coming out of USC and didnt agree with the pick.

Let's hope Donatell can coach him up into atleast the mold of Steve Atwater.

At least? Ill take a Steave Atwater type player any day.

I stand by my statement, I would rather Mays be more like Ronnie Lott.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
With the exception of the offensive and defensive lines -- turn the roster over completely.

I would keep Vernon because of his ability to block.

Walsh turned over the entire roster when he arrived in '79 -- with the exception of the offensive line (built by Monte Clarke). He also kept the defensive line intact, but added players like Dwayne (Tiny) Board and Fred Dean.

But as for linebackers? He cut everyone and rebuilt
Cornerbacks/Safeties? Cut everyone and rebuilt
Running Backs/Wide Receivers/Tight Ends? With the exception of Freddie Solomon, cut everyone and rebuilt
As for the QB (I think you know this)? Cut everyone and rebuilt

Two years after he took over a dramatically different looking team emerged. Young team too. Poised for greatness.

I'll never forget that '81 draft. Walsh drafted his entire starting defensive backfield -- including two All-Pros -- which includes one guy named Ronnie Lott.

Well even Walsh was smart enough that he would have kept Willis. Plus this team is more talented than when Walsh took over and plan B free agency doesn't exists anymore and there is now this thing called a Salary cap. Different times.
Originally posted by kray28:
Quote:
Well, I have to admit that I did not witness that effort. But from all comments it must have been atrocious. Nevertheless I don't believe that he ever got the support he needed to do an adequate job under the circumstances. Meaning reps in practice and game time. It's hard to evaluate someone on one quarter's worth of play, especially when the coaches are setting him up to fail. Carr did have a 3K plus yards season when he was a starter; something Alex did not come close to accomplishing.

Just an FYI for those who didn't actually watch the Carolina game.

Alex got knocked tfo less than a minute into the second half in that game (thanks to Anthony Davis). He'd been having a pretty decent game against arguably the worst team in the league up to that point. It was the defense which was crapping the bed against Matt Moore.

So Carr basically had a whole half of ball to play against the worst team in the league. He went 5-13 for 67 yards, one int, and a 23.1 QB rating.

He wasn't just bad, he was terrible. To be fair though, the defense was even more terrible, allowing Matt Moore to shred them for 300+ yards.

Then

Carr's performance against the Panthers was without question the worst display of quarterbacking I have ever seen from a 49er QB....EVER.

He made guys like Rattay, Dorsey, Pickett, Dilfer and even Alex Smith look like pro-bowlers.

Besides his mechanics are horrible, he doesn't seem to actually throw the ball, it looks more like he is shotputting the ball.

If Carr is the roster at training camp I'll be shocked.
Get rid of the old Carr, look for something new. He can't avoid the rush and can't throw the ball.
I don't think there is any must keep type of guy on this current roster. There are several players that are decent, but I really don't see any franchise types.

One caveat. Justin Smith & patrick willis on defense.
[ Edited by fister30 on Jan 16, 2011 at 3:52 PM ]

forgot him, but still not 100% sold on him, didnt like him coming out of USC and didnt agree with the pick.

Mays was a Singletary pick against Baalke's want; Baalke wanted Javier Arenas!

Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Keep Manny Lawson and cut Harralson (or let him walk, whatever his contract situation looks like).

Franchise Aubrayo Franklin (if available) or draft replacement in first two rounds.

Sign Troy Smith as a cost-efficient stop-gap.

Sign Travis LaBoy, because he's the only guy who can consistently get to the QB from the OLB position.

cut them all

Lawson doesn't do what an OLB needs to do in our 3-4 Def, which is rush the QB for sacks. That is what a 3-4 OLB has to do! Lawson does set the edge very well vs the run and he plays well in space against the pass But count the number of sacks he's had. And that's been one of the main problems of our Def. Pass rush & secondary coverage go hand-in-hand

Why did Manny Lawson lose the fan base? he is a great player and an athletic freak. I want to keep him.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I'm big supporter of keeping Ginn, I agree with you hes been real solid for us on special teams. Which is why I hope we cut Kyle Williams and save us a roster spot.

You keep Ginn as a returner and Kyle Williams should be our slot receiver as he has better hands than Ginn. Then you give Kyle time to grow as the punt returner and leave Ginn as your kick-off returner
Originally posted by fister30:
I don't think there is any must keep type of guy on this current roster. There are several players that are decent, but I really don't see any franchise types.

One caveat. Justin Smith & patrick willis on defense.

Maybe for you it is a matter of semantics and situation. If we were a 2-14 team, a la 1979, and it's a rebuilding situation, then yeah, there wouldn't
be any "must haves." but this team has talent and yes, there ARE core players that you would keep for sure!
At a minimum: Gore, Vernon, Iupati, Crabtree, D. Walker, A. Davis, Bass and on Defense: Willis
These guys are "Must Haves!"
Originally posted by BodyRocker:

how do you know that?
Originally posted by servegmo:
Originally posted by BodyRocker:

how do you know that?

I can't reveal my source, Sorry; I know many will say, yeah right - BS; but I do have it from a reliable source.
Share 49ersWebzone