LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 213 users in the forums

Are the Niners Cleaning House or what ?!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Clements....
I think they should have kept Manusky. He has done a heck of a jon ad DC IMO.
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by sfout:
All of our staff except Tomsula and like 2 others are being replaced and Clements hasn't "left" -- people from inside the organization have admitted he will be cut or traded if he doesn't take a pay cut....

Looking at his contact prior to last season, we knew Clements was going to have to take a pay cut this year.

I couldn't believe that he was brought back last season with his current contract. For what the Niners paid him for the last two seasons, he needed to be one of the elite lock down C.B.'s in the NFL. At BEST he's B grade cover guy. I will give him props for being good hitting tackler, but a top flight cover man he's not.
[ Edited by stevenking57 on Jan 14, 2011 at 2:06 PM ]
Originally posted by stevenking57:
All of our staff except Tomsula and like 2 others are being replaced and Clements hasn't "left" -- people from inside the organization have admitted he will be cut or traded if he doesn't take a pay cut....

Looking at his contact prior to last season, we knew Clements was going to have to take a pay cut this year.

I couldn't believe that he was brought back last season with his current contract. For what the Niners paid him for the last two seasons, he needed to be one of the elite lock down C.B.'s in the NFL. At BEST he's B grade cover guy. I will give him props for being good hitting tackler, but a top flight cover man he's not.

Clements is a bump and run style CB, we have been using him in soft zones, that is why he has struggled so much.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by stevenking57:

Clements is a bump and run style CB, we have been using him in soft zones, that is why he has struggled so much.

That was my impression of him as well before he came here.
Yes and they should. A decade of SUCK is enough. I want all "Harbaugh guys." No more NoWin or Dingleberry guys.

answer: yes

As for what...we have crappy coaching and some crappy talent. We also have some exceptional talent, and Harbaugh has a ready made OL, that hasn't been coached one whit since Mooch left. We had an OL coach for yrs who was the best in the business. We got spoiled, and everyone assumed when our OL coached passed away, we would just get another one. Well, it isn't that simple and we have had probably decent talent this yr with shiddy coaching...or worse. Watch harbaugh take over the OL coaching. OL coaches will do mundane things, but look for harbaugh to do the Walshian thing and coach those guys up. We have the talent. WE have not had a decent OL coach since the best of all time died. Well, that just changed. Keep an eye on Harbaugh and our OL . It will be our one strongest point this yr.
Why are so many people making a big deal of the Clements news? He was signed to a heavily backloaded contract. From day one, there was never a chance he would play that contract out. The guy is due over $7 million guaranteed and close to $8 million in "likely to reach" incentives. There was never a chance they would pay $15 million to a 31 year old corner. He knew, the team knew and most people that paid attention to the contract knew it. The Clements move is not Harbaugh's doing, it was always the plan.
  • JRILL
  • Veteran
They are pretty much cleaning house, BUT they should be keeping a few of the coaches from the Singletary era, most notebly Tom Rathman. They should also be keeping OL coach Solari and DL coach Tomsula. I think they should really keep Rathman, he's a great coach and a mentor. He's been there and done that in his NFL career, top 10 FB all-time. As for Coach Tomsula, the team loves this guy and his energy, he should stay too. Solari, I don't know too much about him, but if the keep him it is because they want to keep some type of continuity with the niners young OLine and he has coached with the GREAT Bob mcKitrick.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by P-52ENFORCER:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Seems like Tomasula, Rathman and few other may be safe, but like I've said before, when a team vastly underperforms, nobody is irreplaceable. It's easy to find s**tty coaches to ruin your season! I'm glad to see the shake up! This team should have won at least 10 games last season, maybe more, the schedule was easy, the team is talented. The coaches failed, no like all failures they should be fired!

If we had a good coach that could call plays, we most likely win 5 more games, finish 11-5, win the West, and would still possibly be playing right now.

Saints (25-22)
Falcons (16-14)
Eagles (27-24)
Panthers (23-20)
Rams (25-17)

Saints - Better play calling and field production may have produced a win.

5 Turnovers vs a Superbowl Champion doesn't help. Plus the way the wind was HOWLING that night, if you weren't going with the wind at your back, it was really tough to throw. Both QB's made some pretty good throws into the wind though but I think for the most part, it was more "field production" than playcalling that lost us that game.

Falcons - Coaching and play calling well enough to win, Clements poor ball handling lost that game, not the coaches

Coaching was good enough, play calling was garbage after the first drive. We scored ONE offensive TD and that was on the 1st drive of the game so the rest of the game SUCKED. Clements fumble did hurt a lot but that play wouldn't have guaranteed a victory (ATL still had 3 timeouts left) and it didn't cost us the game (they took over at their own 7 yard line and moved the ball AT WILL against our soft defense)

Eagles - Better coaching and play calling may have won that game.

Field production, or lack there of, cost this game. 2 Fumbles by Gore, 1 Fumble returned for a TD by Smith and 2 INT's? Field production cost us this game, NOT play calling

Panthers - Poor coaching, poor play calling, poor participation by the players.

I agree

Rams - I think this is Singletarys loss - should have played A. Smith and this game would have been won.

Nothing is guaranteed with Alex Smith playing but hindsight being 20/20, it is easy to say they would have won because of how poor Troy looked. I agree that Alex would have been the best bet AND THEN go to Troy if it doesn't work but it didn't work out that way unfortunately.

So poor coaching, poor play calling, poor coach decision led to four out of five losses.

comments in bold

good! nobody in the last 10 years has been doing a very good job. some have been decent but for the most part we can do better. im liking harbaughs staff so far.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Seems like Tomasula, Rathman and few other may be safe, but like I've said before, when a team vastly underperforms, nobody is irreplaceable. It's easy to find s**tty coaches to ruin your season! I'm glad to see the shake up! This team should have won at least 10 games last season, maybe more, the schedule was easy, the team is talented. The coaches failed, no like all failures they should be fired!

I am really keen on finding out who the new WR coach will be. Can't wait.
It really must have been awful to coach under Singletary, having to do things you know wouldn't work and having your professionalism and even your good name tarnished.

I post it all the time: you can't judge anyone who worked under the demented Sing.

That being said, if JH feels more comfortable with his guys, then that is how it should be. Sometimes even good coaches and players have to move on.

Surely some of these guys are good coaches, but they will just have to prove it elsewhere.

Yup. He was set to make $15 million if he hit all his incentives. Nnamdi money with a 3rd of the ability.
[ Edited by 602_JamestownAve on Jan 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM ]
I think we should've kept sing for just one more year. Give crabtree one more year to polish and sing coulda done somthing..
Share 49ersWebzone