There are 210 users in the forums

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by mryan1004:
I think McNabb would be the best fit, since he's already familiar with the WCO and wouldnt have as much difficulty adjusting. Plus, he'd be a good mentor to any rookie trying to learn the ropes in 2011.

However, Im thinking that Harbaugh goes for the "franchise" quarterback. Especially since Luck has decided to hold off on going pro. I wouldnt be surprised to see Kolb here as the QB of the future..........

I have to ask, what has kolb proved? ty detmer looked decent in andy reid's offense...

He's proven enough. He's had success (albeit limited) in the league, which puts him above any rookie QB available in this year's draft. He's MUCH better than Alex; if anyone fails to see that, then they're blind.

He hasnt played enough to warrant a future HOF batch, but he's better than anyone else out there......and his age makes him a franchise QB.

McNabb sucks. He's dropped off badly. At this point he's not any better than Alex.

(MCNABB) Because he had one bad season after so many great ones ?

(ALEX) Or because Alex has had so many bad ones that he's bound to have a good one eventually ?

2010 Stats.

Donovan McNabb 14 TD's 15 Int's 77.1 Rating.

Alex Smith 14 TD's 10 Int's 82.1 Rating.

That's the guy you want...

Why dont you go back and tally the stats from 2005 to 2009 and post them for us as well.......so we a better idea of exactly you're comparing.....

Age and injuries have caught up to your guy McNabb. When is the last time you remember him finishing a season? Alex is getting better. McNabb is getting worse.

2005 - 2009 doesn't matter anymore. You are living in the PAST. It's 2011. McNabb will probably be worse in 2011 than he was in 2010. The Redskins almost ran him out of town...
Originally posted by mug0mug:
I'd rather have Alex Smith than more than half of those guys.

They don't want some old vet. They want a young guy to develop, though may bring in a vet temporarily to compete/mentor.

Sorry, but I've got to agree. Alex is better than anyone on that list.

[ Edited by dbdublin on Jan 7, 2011 at 21:17:31 ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,400 for SFCH3DDERZ.
Please not alex. Its over with him. His accuracy is bad. Not fit for the wco.
vince young bc he needs a fresh start and harbaugh will get him to be a better qb
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Alex Smith is nothing close to a West Coast QB. He lacks everything necessary, besides mobility, to strive in that offense. Your main goal in a WCO is to get YAC, and you do that by hitting your receivers in stride, which he has proven that he is inept at. McNabb would be a decent fit, I think Orton would be a better fit, and the same goes with Kolb, just because they are more accurate passers. Overall, I think he will make a good enough choice for now, I don't expect to find our franchise QB during this offseason, unless they find another Tom Brady like player in the draft...who knows.

LOL. Find a Tom Brady type player in the draft. Good plan...

lets do it
Originally posted by NinerNation:
vince young bc he needs a fresh start and harbaugh will get him to be a better qb

from listening to harbaugh, he certainly values leadership, something vince young lacks. IMO its not a good fit. BUT

IN JIM WE TRUST
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
I'd rather have Alex Smith than more than half of those guys.

They don't want some old vet. They want a young guy to develop, though may bring in a vet temporarily to compete/mentor.

Sorry, but I've got to agree. Alex is better than anyone on that list.

Alex. Go be Harbaughs shadow for the off season and learn as much as possible.
Originally posted by Genius1310:
Alex. Go be Harbaughs shadow for the off season and learn as much as possible.

Yeah right. Let get another coach fired by bring back the bust!
I think Johnson or Flynn... but really, whomever Harbaugh wants is fine by me!

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Alex Smith is nothing close to a West Coast QB. He lacks everything necessary, besides mobility, to strive in that offense. Your main goal in a WCO is to get YAC, and you do that by hitting your receivers in stride, which he has proven that he is inept at. McNabb would be a decent fit, I think Orton would be a better fit, and the same goes with Kolb, just because they are more accurate passers. Overall, I think he will make a good enough choice for now, I don't expect to find our franchise QB during this offseason, unless they find another Tom Brady like player in the draft...who knows.

LOL. Find a Tom Brady type player in the draft. Good plan...

Dude its a great plan! Find someone who will go down as the best QB in NFL history in the 6th or 7th round... can't be that hard :/
Originally posted by RedLion49er:
I actually like Kolb. Is there a way to get this guy?

eagles were asking for TWO 1st last offseason
jeff garcia lol hes led the team before he can do it again
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mryan1004:
I think McNabb would be the best fit, since he's already familiar with the WCO and wouldnt have as much difficulty adjusting. Plus, he'd be a good mentor to any rookie trying to learn the ropes in 2011.

However, Im thinking that Harbaugh goes for the "franchise" quarterback. Especially since Luck has decided to hold off on going pro. I wouldnt be surprised to see Kolb here as the QB of the future..........

I have to ask, what has kolb proved? ty detmer looked decent in andy reid's offense...

He's proven enough. He's had success (albeit limited) in the league, which puts him above any rookie QB available in this year's draft. He's MUCH better than Alex; if anyone fails to see that, then they're blind.

Yes, we are blinded by actual statistics showing that Kolb put up worse numbers than Alex while playing on a far better team, in a far better situation under far better coaching against far worse competition. Kolb looked horrible in his last game against one of the worst pass defenses in the league. Granted, he didn't play as much as Alex, and I'm not saying he's worse, but in no way has he proven he's any better.
My vote is for Kevin Kolb. In limited time starting in Philly he was pretty good. He was the starter to begin the season before Vick got his shot and the rest is history. If he's good enough to start for Andy Reid why not for us then? I think Kolb is good enough to be a starter and obviously one of the great talent evaluators in the league (reid) thinks so too. Reid just has the luxury of Vick falling into his lap. My vote is with Kolb
Share 49ersWebzone