LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

If anyone i want Mcnabb, or even Garcia? Someone to train a possible rookie.
Originally posted by 49er4evr:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i dont like McNabb but of those guys id take him for a year or two. he knows the WCO, and can mentor Cam Newton when we draft him the only thing that scares me about mcnabb is that two great coaches gave up on him so i think something is wrong with him. he was running the scout team in washington the last couple weeks of the season. steve young said shanahan would give u unlimited opportunities to succeed if you showed him the effort. that means mcnabb was lazy as most of the reports stated.

Nah....shanahans son,sonny is the O Coord. JR. Thinks Grossman is the answer(they are like BFF's) So mike's son said " daddy i like rex, so can we bench mcnabb and play my freind? please daddy?! please?! .....So with all this going on Mcnabb is still the ultimate professional and has not "cried" to the media or anything. He's not lazy just a victim of idiots with control issues. ask haynesworth.

Haynesworth had a reputation for being a lazy slacker when he was in college, McNabb is just getting old, he is not lazy, just worn out.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
i dont like McNabb but of those guys id take him for a year or two. he knows the WCO, and can mentor Cam Newton when we draft him the only thing that scares me about mcnabb is that two great coaches gave up on him so i think something is wrong with him. he was running the scout team in washington the last couple weeks of the season. steve young said shanahan would give u unlimited opportunities to succeed if you showed him the effort. that means mcnabb was lazy as most of the reports stated.

Nah....shanahans son,sonny is the O Coord. JR. Thinks Grossman is the answer(they are like BFF's) So mike's son said " daddy i like rex, so can we bench mcnabb and play my freind? please daddy?! please?! .....So with all this going on Mcnabb is still the ultimate professional and has not "cried" to the media or anything. He's not lazy just a victim of idiots with control issues. ask haynesworth.

Haynesworth had a reputation for being a lazy slacker when he was in college, McNabb is just getting old, he is not lazy, just worn out.

Getting worn out....yeah ill give ya that one....he's got one more year in him though and thats all we need...then we can utilize his mind and experience when we draft Luck the NEXT year (thats harbaugh's master plan Muahahahah! Shhhhh!)

Reid is a great coach. Shanahan is a great coach. both s**t canned mcnabb for some reason. shanahan is too smart to just play someone cuz hes buddies with his son lol. theres something goin on thats deeper than that. i agree that mcnabb has always been a classy guy but as far as his play and work ethic i think theres a problem somewhere.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Note on Flynn and Kolb and Johnson. All are under contract for 2010, and would need a trade to secure their services.

Flynn and Kolb will cost 9ers 1 and a 3 round pick Johnson will be just a 3 or a 4 round pick. Johnson is the only one of the three QB that 9ers should look at
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Isn't Hasselback's contract up? I know he cants stay healthy, but if we have a rookie on the team he could help mentor the rook and Hasselback's injury history would ensure that the young QB gets some playing time.

I don't want Mcnabb. I don't want to watch our QB skip passes at our RBs feet.
Originally posted by carias416:
Note on Flynn and Kolb and Johnson. All are under contract for 2010, and would need a trade to secure their services.

Flynn and Kolb will cost 9ers 1 and a 3 round pick Johnson will be just a 3 or a 4 round pick. Johnson is the only one of the three QB that 9ers should look at

they dont need to trade for johnson, kolb or anyone else for that matter. harbaugh's specialty is finding and grooming qbs so he will make his own, hes not goin to base all his nfl success on only luck and johnson. we'll sign a FA qb im sure and draft one in the first round with the full toolset that harbaugh wants in a qb and then he will get them ready to play. the future is bright, no need to trade picks for a qb if were already gonna spend a high pick on one during the draft.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Mcnabb and have him mentor cam newton into a mcnabb-esque player.

Mcnabb had an off year, but that's how I view it. Plus he's a good west coast offense guy, perfect for teaching a rookie.

Reid is a great coach. Shanahan is a great coach. both s**t canned mcnabb for some reason. shanahan is too smart to just play someone cuz hes buddies with his son lol. theres something goin on thats deeper than that. i agree that mcnabb has always been a classy guy but as far as his play and work ethic i think theres a problem somewhere.

I have read that McNabb also had serious problems grasping the offensive schemes run by the Shanahans.
Originally posted by Otter:
Isn't Hasselback's contract up? I know he cants stay healthy, but if we have a rookie on the team he could help mentor the rook and Hasselback's injury history would ensure that the young QB gets some playing time.

If the 49ers fans got upset with Smith throwing incompletions, how would they take Hasselbeck sending balls the other sides' way? In 2009, he threw 17 TDs and 17 INTs. In 2010, he threw 12 TDs and 17 INTs. He is no longer in his prime. You'd want him as a backup, not a starter.

• Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by Otter:

If the 49ers fans got upset with Smith throwing incompletions, how would they take Hasselbeck sending balls the other sides' way? In 2009, he threw 17 TDs and 17 INTs. In 2010, he threw 12 TDs and 17 INTs. He is no longer in his prime. You'd want him as a backup, not a starter.

Clearly he is no longer in his prime, neither is Mcnabb. Both know the WCO though. I'd rather have Matt over Donovan.

Everyone clamoring for Kolb is dreaming. Philly has him locked up cheap, they gave him a huge bonus last year, and next years salary is relatively cheap. Only way the eagles let him go is if they think someone in the draft is a better back up than Kolb. Because with Vicks playing style it seems clear that you need two viable QBs.
Originally posted by jreff22:
I think Dennis Dixon will be signed by the Niners this offseason.

i wanted us to draft him

He really lost a lot from that injury at the end of his senior year. He really regained a lost of confidence this season and is poised to make some money in free agency.

Dixon looks like he's recovered from the injury, has speed and elusiveness and a great arm. Plus he's got his head screwed on straight. Think Vince Young with a real arm and brain.
I'd love to see what Harbaugh could do with a guy with Dixon's upside. I'd get on this bandwagon. Excellent observation, MadDoggie!

[ Edited by oldninerdude on Jan 8, 2011 at 17:07:41 ]
He might be able to do something none of the last couple of coaches could do...coach up Alex Smith.

Or he may decide that Alex doesn't have the it factor and crumbles when there is pressure. Alex looked against the cardinals, but nothing was on the line and again, it was the cardinals.

2010?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by carias416:

they dont need to trade for johnson, kolb or anyone else for that matter. harbaugh's specialty is finding and grooming qbs so he will make his own, hes not goin to base all his nfl success on only luck and johnson. we'll sign a FA qb im sure and draft one in the first round with the full toolset that harbaugh wants in a qb and then he will get them ready to play. the future is bright, no need to trade picks for a qb if were already gonna spend a high pick on one during the draft.

Johnson has more upside and would be a much cheaper option then ANY QB in FA.
Share 49ersWebzone