LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Originally posted by DarthNiner:
From that list I think McNabb has the most experience in the WCO. I'll pick McNabb.

The knock on McNabb in Washington was that he sluffed off and was not a hard worker. I can't see someone like Harbaugh bringing a player like that on the team, although if he were already here, the coach might see what could be done with him.
I think Orton would be a perfect fit. Forget drafting a QB and waiting 3 years. Orton could start right away and more then serviceable.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
I think Orton would be a perfect fit. Forget drafting a QB and waiting 3 years. Orton could start right away and more then serviceable.

We have to draft a QB regardless. The QB position is empty we need some kind of depth.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

We have to draft a QB regardless. The QB position is empty we need some kind of depth.

Agreed. We didn't just sign a guy for $25M to rely on Kyle Orton.
you guys have got to be kidding me, alex smith is a veteran that we could use!

But seriously, unless we could get someone like McNabb, I think that we have a much better chance of getting a good qb in the draft.

But whoever we may get, they shouldn't have many problems utilizing the weapons we have.
I'd like McNabb for the reasons stated in earlier posts. Knows the WCO, veteran, hopefully willing to teach, etc.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
From that list I think McNabb has the most experience in the WCO. I'll pick McNabb.

The knock on McNabb in Washington was that he sluffed off and was not a hard worker. I can't see someone like Harbaugh bringing a player like that on the team, although if he were already here, the coach might see what could be done with him.
It also turned out he hadn't learned much of the situational playbook.

If a guy can't play QB for Mike Shanahan I have my doubts about the person.
I have a feeling that Harbaugh has a good eye for potential QB's with hidden talents. Just as I thought that Tebow would be good and everyone was knocking him for his unusual delivery, he's proving that his mobility and fiery attitude is making up for his perceived weakness. I also think that a Brady Quinn may have something left.

However, I am looking forward to the draft and see who Harbaugh picks as his rookie QB. He may surprise everyone.
If free agency does not happen until late (because of the lack of a CBA) the team will be stuck with QBs they can pick up from the scrapheap. A Smith might be the only option in this case? Harbaugh knows QBs but Luck turned out to have talent, how would he do with a lesser guy? Probably well enough to go 8-8 if the D can return to 2009 form.

I do not see spending a high draft pick for a QB as there are too many in the same mediocre to decent level and all have developmental written on their play.

So, a vet is necessary and Harbaugh will know more about these guys than any of us. If he thinks he can get the most out of V Young that would be great. McNab seems like a trouble maker but perhaps Shanahan just didn't get along with him? His not knowing the plays would worry me but the Shanahan book might be longer than the Martz book and so...
I feel bad for Alex that he never had the opportunity to be developed by a coach of Harbaugh's caliber.

Even if H. wanted Alex to stay as his stop-gap QB until the drafted QB is ready to go, that is a very compelling reason why Alex will say "No thanks."

He knows that no matter how well he played, the fans and the coach would simply be getting ready to bench him in favor of the rookie. It is a no-win situation for him here.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by excelsior:
I feel bad for Alex that he never had the opportunity to be developed by a coach of Harbaugh's caliber.

Even if H. wanted Alex to stay as his stop-gap QB until the drafted QB is ready to go, that is a very compelling reason why Alex will say "No thanks."

He knows that no matter how well he played, the fans and the coach would simply be getting ready to bench him in favor of the rookie. It is a no-win situation for him here.
Quote:

Who will play quarterback?
It will not be Alex Smith. Just think of it in these terms: He started more games than any other quarterback for two coaches who got fired. Why would Harbaugh want to bring him back and teach him a system he hasn't played since his rookie season? Also, Smith realizes that his time here is over. Every time he throws an incomplete pass, he can be expected to get booed. Why would Smith want to come back? He will not be back. Because of the league's labor situation, there might not be any player movement until there is a new collective bargaining agreement. The 49ers will undoubtedly sign and/or trade for a quarterback who has experience in the system. They can also be expected to invest a draft pick in a quarterback.

Read more: 49ers Q&A: Front office changes ahead
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story.

Link
Lmao, Mark Brunell....Yeah he'll def. turn this franchise around.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Agreed. We didn't just sign a guy for $25M to rely on Kyle Orton.

I'm still for trading away a second to get two first next year. I DO NOT like any of the QB's coming out, and I'm not sold on them being succesful. WIth two first next year, it'll give us the option to target a QB we like.

And yes there is even a chance that Luck is a top ten rather than 1 and we could go after him that way.

But why use a second or third to develop a QB when we can use it for a pick next year.

Finally, if the CBA is delayed well we wouldn't even have time to develop a QB this offseason and you know they wont get much attention during the season. SO pretty much they'd be put of till next year to truly learn.... Lets get a better QB next year.
McNabb or Kolb
Common...where's vince?
I'd take em for a short deal
Share 49ersWebzone