LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

All this talk about HC...who will be our QB??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What do you guys think about trading for Brady Quinn?

I have always thought that he would be a late bloomer... in the right system / coach I think this guys could be a gamer.
Originally posted by JDog:
Lets nab McNabb!

If we're going to go the veteran caretaker route that might make sense, provided McNabb is able to renegotiate his contract with the Skins. Currently, he's a bit spendy for what you get.
With the #7 pick in the 2011 NFL draft the 49ers select..............Blaine Gabbert....QB...Missouri.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Orton, Kolbe, Matt More, or some other Vet, backed up by "With the seventh pick in 2011 NFL Draft the san Francisco Forty Niners select....." the best available QB!

Add Troy Smith, or Bradey Quin to the list.

NO MCNABB! you see what he looks like at his age, without Andy Reed! Maximum suckage!
We don't need a great QB. We need a capable QB. Great QB's are made with solid coaching, solid play calling, a strong offensive line, an above average RB and a solid set of receivers to catch the ball. I believe we almost have all of those. Our offensive line (barring any injuries) will be very strong next year. We have one of the best TEs in the league. Crabtree and Morgan have potential to be a very good 1-2. And although Frank is getting older, he still has it. We need the coaching, play calling, and a capable QB.

Side note regarding our offensive line:

Although we didn't have very many huge offensive plays, it seemed like we had even less holding penalties. I could be waaay off on this, but with a young and inexperienced (Davis and Iupati) offensive line, i was expecting a lot of holding penalties this year. any thoughts?

[ Edited by AyYoJoey on Jan 7, 2011 at 09:00:13 ]
Originally posted by AyYoJoey:
We don't need a great QB. We need a capable QB. Great QB's are made with solid coaching, solid play calling, a strong offensive line, an above average RB and a solid set of receivers to catch the ball. I believe we almost have all of those. Our offensive line (barring any injuries) will be very strong next year. We have one of the best TEs in the league. Crabtree and Morgan have potential to be a very good 1-2. And although Frank is getting older, he still has it. We need the coaching, play calling, and a capable QB.

Although we didn't have very many huge offensive plays, it seemed like we had even less holding penalties. I could be waaay off on this, but with a young and inexperienced (Davis and Iupati) offensive line, i was expecting a lot of holding penalties this year. any thoughts?

I agree the oline should be better which is huge for the passing and running attack. But the wr's are a very big area of concern to me. I have seen nothing from Morgan that lets me think he's anything other than a #3 and Crabtree is too slow and drops too many passes to be a #1. Need to get a #1 in FA or the draft this year and then we'd be looking good.
I saw a mock draft, yes they are starting now, that had Cam Newton going to the Niners...tall, fast, accurate, I have no idea why he would fall so far, unless he has a terrible game against Oregon or he is considered to be just too sly and slick to trust.

It is possible that some washed-up vet rededicates himself mentally and physically for one or two more decent years at a reasonable price while a promising rookie is being groomed by a qualified coach.

I want N.Davis signed as third string going into training camp, coached by a real coach to see what he really has, finally. If he really can't succeed, then he got a fair chance. The team owes him something for being mistreated...well, actually all the QBs were mistreated on this team by the very odd Singletary...but, still...

Of course, an ultra-clever supplemental draft trick to get Luck would be best. You know, Paraag is a guy who might be clever enought to pull this off. If he does, he goes to the Hall of Fame in the management catagory. And the Yorks are the best owners ever if they get JH and Luck.
I have no idea, but i want someone who i havent seen both sides of their play.

I'll say Kolb can stay in PHilly, not really feeling him.

Mcnabb is way past his prime on the down slope.

Troy Smith, nah, know the playbook or not, i dont think he'll be a starting QB in the league, im looking him as a Shaun HIll esque QB. Not good enough to go a whole season, but a solid backup. I'd rather have Tavaris than Troy, and thats not saying much.

Alex Smith (lmao) aint even gonna go there with that one.

So s**t, i dont know who the hell is gonna be our QB/
  • dj43

We are all agreed we need someone "good" to start and play until a rookie is ready to play. I think we are all also in agreement we don't want to make the same mistake with a new rookie that we made with Alex Smith by starting him before he is ready to play.

So, from the list I posted earlier, who would you choose and what would you give up to get them?

Also note, any draft pick you give up is another need that will not be filled.
McNabb makes the most sense for Harbaugh (if thats the coach). WCO, trade this years 4th and a conditional 3rd next year to the skins, draft a QB in the 2nd rd, grab the lock down corner in the first round. Sign McNabb for 2 yrs. Sign Westbrook for 2 yrs. Let the rookie learn for 2 years. McNabb in Harbaugh's WCO will be enough to win 11 games and the division in those 2 yrs. The organization will look better and the front office stable with success. At that point this team would be able to take off.

Cam newton
Originally posted by dj43:

We are all agreed we need someone "good" to start and play until a rookie is ready to play. I think we are all also in agreement we don't want to make the same mistake with a new rookie that we made with Alex Smith by starting him before he is ready to play.

So, from the list I posted earlier, who would you choose and what would you give up to get them?

I know i am going to be given hell for this, but i would not mind seeing Alex back. And yes, i can make all of the Alexcuses in the book. He never had consistent coaching, he never had an offensive HC, he was thrown under the bus by nowin and dingleberry, blah blah blah. If he goes to another team so be it. But if no one else wants him (which i guess is a red flag right there), we should sign him to a one year deal. And if Harbaugh is our coach, maybe he can QB Guru his a$$ into shape. The pickens seem mighty slim out there for a QB right now.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Brandon Doman

Brandon Doman! Great knowledge! LOL.
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:

I know i am going to be given hell for this, but i would not mind seeing Alex back. And yes, i can make all of the Alexcuses in the book. He never had consistent coaching, he never had an offensive HC, he was thrown under the bus by nowin and dingleberry, blah blah blah. If he goes to another team so be it. But if no one else wants him (which i guess is a red flag right there), we should sign him to a one year deal. And if Harbaugh is our coach, maybe he can QB Guru his a$$ into shape. The pickens seem mighty slim out there for a QB right now.
The bolded is the big issue, but I would like to stay away from another Alex discussion in this thread.

So do you have a preference from the other available remedies?
I believe Troy Smith and Carr will be the QB's to start with. We will then draft a QB in the first rd. There are a BUNCH of good QB's in this draft. This is one of the deepest drafts for QB's I've ever seen.

Alex will go to another team this year.
Share 49ersWebzone