LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 153 users in the forums

Alex Smith named the starter for week 17, Willis will miss his first game ever

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why is everyone so worried about Alex being re-signed? Do you even follow this team or understand what is going on? There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY Alex gets resigned. He’d have to break every single NFL single-game record to even be CONSIDERED as a BACK UP. Add to the fact that he’s already told people he’s not coming back.

It’s the last game of the year…and Tomsula obviously wants to go with the most experienced person on the roster @ QB. If anything what this shows to me is that the coaches probably wanted to start Alex for the Rams game but Sing insisted otherwise but that’s neither here nor there.

PERSONALLY…I would have liked to see Nate Davis start but I guess that’s not a possibility.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by verb1der:
I bet Alex Smith plays lights out this Sunday, it's inevitable.

I think so also, he does great in meaningless games.

He does, and we all know that when "everything is perfect" and the universe is aligned for Alex Smith to suceed he wins, and this Sunday's game is a perfect, at home, vs the Tards.

Btw what's Alex Smith's record vs the Tards? I bet it's pretty good.
Good choice, gives us a better chance to lose.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Yep...ha ha ha
Originally posted by blacksailsmd:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
why give him a chance?

if he does well everyone will just want to resign him???

I woukd rather see Mike Robinson back there

do you even watch the 9ers??? he is a seahawk...

DUH! But he must play! TRADE FOR HIS ASS AT ALL COSTS! 1st ROUNDER! HAVE HIM MAKE UP THE PLAYS BACKYARD STYLE
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
5th overall pick, LOCKED UP!!!
I am cheering for Dockett to get a strong pass rush! I want to lose this game so bad and get a higher draft pick!

I can actually see Alex playing well because HE wants to screw over the niners----lol.
Tomsula will want to win this game (even if it's only one game) to show his capability as a HC. He would want to leave a good reflection of himself for those that may be interested in hiring him for something better than what he now has.

Given that, Alex Smith HAS proven that he does WELL against the Arizona Cardinals and furthermore does VERY well playing at home.

Based on that, it's easy to understand his reasoning for selecting Alex.

Beyond that, I see no reason for keeping him but maybe he'll showcase his talent enough that a lot of other teams will show interest in picking him up.

Both to the advantage of Alex and the 49er's because they may be able to get a decent trade value for him.

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Dec 29, 2010 at 11:36:56 ]
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Yep...ha ha ha

Er. No. No it doesn't/

This is disgusting. I've supported Alex the most out of all these scrub QBs on our team, but hes going to absolute salivate at the chance to piss off all of the boo'ing fans and team that f**ked him over, by playing the absolute best he can (that and this is an audition for him).

Not only are the Cardinals a team that Alex knows the best, but it is one of the worst in the league. This season is the biggest damn headache of all time.
without P.Willis, AZ's running backs will look like Walter payton

Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Tomsula will want to win this game (even if it's only one game) to show his capability as a HC. He would want to leave a good reflection of himself for those that may be interested in hiring him for something better than what he now has.

Given that, Alex Smith HAS proven that he does WELL against the Arizona Cardinals and furthermore does VERY well playing at home.

Beyond that, I see no reason for keeping him but maybe he'll showcase his talent enough that other teams will show interest in picking him up.

Both to the advantage of Alex and the 49er's because they may be able to get a decent trade value for him.

I think Alex is an unrestricted free agent after this last game---so the Niners cannot trade him---he isn't under contract.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
without P.Willis, AZ's running backs will look like Walter payton

This. Hightower has been playing pretty well lately.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Originally posted by aman49:
Get your boos in now, folks...

For that exact reason I thought Troy Smith would get the nod. No chance of a PR nightmare for the Jedi.

I kinda hope it gets ugly.
Meh, another meaningless game for the 49ers in early Jan.

What else is new?

LOl at the posters who think Alex is going to get picked up by Zona
in the offseason.

I'm sure the Cards will be tripping over themselves to sign the right handed
version of Matt Linehart. LOL.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:

Beyond that, I see no reason for keeping him but maybe he'll showcase his talent enough that a lot of other teams will show interest in picking him up.

Tomsula wants to win and will likely cut Johnson and Alex loose to play the way they want to play. Now that Singletary's influence is no longer a factor, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the offense finally get going.

This is a big game for the team. They are out from under a cloud and will want to make a statement to the rest of the league that they can still be a good team.
Share 49ersWebzone