There are 176 users in the forums

Do you want to win on Sunday against the Cardinals?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you want to win on Sunday against the Cardinals?

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Sims84:
The 49ers are looking at Next Year. This year is over. 2010 means nothing to the Red and Gold at this point. 2011 is here as far as we are concerned. The only concern we have is April 2011. Our upcomming draft.

2005 was your Criteria. Top 10 pick was your criteria. I don't have to fit into your box. I said there have been lots of good and some great QB's picked early. I never stated anything about 2005 or top 10. Even a 1st rounder is a high pick.

I said SINCE 2005 so from 2005 until this day, there have been MORE busts than Franchise QB's. Then you listed QB's way back PAST 2005 so I did the same thing to show you that my point is STILL proven so what is the problem?

Plenty of first round pick QB's are good to pretty good. Just off the top of my head in modern times a few I can list.

~ Matt Stafford - Before injuries looked real good.
~ Sam Bradford - Best QB in NFC West as rookie.
~ Matt Ryan - Stud QB.
~ RAPEberger - great QB. Off field trouble.
~ Mark Sanchez - good young QB.
~ Eli Manning - won Super Bowl.
~ Peyton Manning - best in game.
~ Jay Cutler - better than any QB we have. Team doing real well this year.
~ Aaron Rodgers - Excellent player.
~ Phillip Rivers - Top 5 QB in the league.

10 QB's out of how many 1st round selections?

Don't care how many. Lots of top guys were picked early...

once again you ingore critical information. Go away troll.

You can't ignore the fact that a lot of good young QB's were picked high. All those guys are better than anything we have. And all would help this team.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
The 49ers are looking at Next Year. This year is over. 2010 means nothing to the Red and Gold at this point. 2011 is here as far as we are concerned. The only concern we have is April 2011. Our upcomming draft.

2005 was your Criteria. Top 10 pick was your criteria. I don't have to fit into your box. I said there have been lots of good and some great QB's picked early. I never stated anything about 2005 or top 10. Even a 1st rounder is a high pick.

I said SINCE 2005 so from 2005 until this day, there have been MORE busts than Franchise QB's. Then you listed QB's way back PAST 2005 so I did the same thing to show you that my point is STILL proven so what is the problem?

Plenty of first round pick QB's are good to pretty good. Just off the top of my head in modern times a few I can list.

~ Matt Ryan - Stud QB.

I'm not disagreeing with the 1st ROUND talent. The whole argument started when I said we should still try to win vs the Cardinals because trying lose and getting a top 10 pick doesn't guarantee ANYTHING. Are there 1st round QB's that have done great? Absolutely and we will still be picking in the Top 15 even with a win vs the Cardinals so I'm saying we shouldnt try to TANK just to get a top 10 pick because they haven't panned out more often than they have turned out to be bust

~ Yes it's no guarantee.
~ But a lot of top guys are picked there (1st round).

A lot of guys that are out of the league in 3 years are picked there too (1st round).

This.

Sandiego49ers named those guys but Stafford is injury prone so he hasn't proved anything. In fact, Shaun Hill has won two games on the road which is more than Stafford has done.

Eli Manning won a superbowl and so did Trent Dilfer...because of GREAT Defense. He did make a hell of a play but I wouldn't say Eli is that good, slightly better than average at best and being the #1 overally pick and a cry baby, I'd say he hasn't quite lived up to his expectations.

Mark Sanchez is young and the jury is still out but he hasn't done that much with Keller, Edwards, Holmes, LT, Green, Cotchery as his weapons and a damn good defense on the other side. In fact, he has actually single handily HELPED them lose a few games they should have won.

Cutler, Rodgers nor Rothlisberger were drafted in the top 10 (how my whole post started)

So we are looking at Manning, Ryan and Rivers as the only PROVEN Franchise QB's in the past decade of top 10 picks We will be JUST FINE after a win vs the Cardinals and picking outside the top 10 like I have been saying this WHOLE TIME

~ Matt Ryan - Stud QB.

I'm not disagreeing with the 1st ROUND talent. The whole argument started when I said we should still try to win vs the Cardinals because trying lose and getting a top 10 pick doesn't guarantee ANYTHING. Are there 1st round QB's that have done great? Absolutely and we will still be picking in the Top 15 even with a win vs the Cardinals so I'm saying we shouldnt try to TANK just to get a top 10 pick because they haven't panned out more often than they have turned out to be bust

~ Yes it's no guarantee.

A lot of guys that are out of the league in 3 years are picked there too (1st round).

Which brings you to the philosophy do you want to turn tail and run and hide or do you want to try, try again?

Let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time the Chargers picked Ryan Leaf. The worst bust in NFL history. He'd make Alex look like he belongs in Canton.

They could get scared and run and hide and put their tail between their legs. But the didn't. And after him who did the pick?

~ Drew Brees.
~ Phillip Rivers.

2 guys who turned out just fine thank you. You can't get gun shy because you failed once. You go again and hit big this time...

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 28, 2010 at 02:45:53 ]

~ Matt Ryan - Stud QB.

You can't ignore the fact that a lot of good young QB's were picked high. All those guys are better than anything we have. And all would help this team.

And you can't ignore the fact that more often then not the QB's drafted high do not pan out.

~ Matt Ryan - Stud QB.

~ Yes it's no guarantee.

Which brings you to the philosophy do you want to turn tail and run and hide or do you want to try, try again?

Let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time the Chargers picked Ryan Leaf. The worst bust in NFL history. He'd make Alex look like he belongs in Canton.

They could get scared and run and hide and put their tail between their legs. But the didn't. And after him who did the pick?

~ Drew Brees.
~ Phillip Rivers.

2 guys who turned out just fine thank you. You can't get gun shy because you failed once. You go again and hit big this time...

No, I'm not saying I'm gun shy. With the depth of QB in this draft, I feel we can pick up a good QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. No, he won't be able to start right away, and that's fine. In fact, even if by some chance we got Luck, I don't think he should start either.

We have glaring needs elsewhere as well. Since we don't pick high enough to get a super stud like Luck, and I feel Mallet and Locker aren't worth a top 15 pick, I would like to see us go for a shutdown Corner or a pass rusher.

If somehow we can trade up and get Luck... or by some unGodly miracle Luck falls to us, I'd say get him. But I'm weary about Mallet or Locker. For some reason I like Stanzi... and his stock has dropped this year. I think we could easily get him in the 2nd... and he may even fall to the third.

Get him and groom him.

~ Matt Ryan - Stud QB.

And you can't ignore the fact that more often then not the QB's drafted high do not pan out.

~ They go to the worst team in the league.
~ Have bad O lines.
~ Have no weapons.
~ No defense backing them.
~ Bad coaching staffs developing them.
~ Bad organizations in charge.

This has as much to do with it as anything. It's still worth having a great QB if you can get one. And with our team we actually have talent. We were just coached so far down. We honestly aren't as bad as our record.

A coach like Harbaugh and a good QB. You are are talking about turnaround city here real quick... Not every problem solved. But moving in the right direction quickly.

~ Matt Ryan - Stud QB.

~ Have bad O lines.
~ Have no weapons.

This has as much to do with it as anything. It's still worth having a great QB if you can get one. And with our team we actually have talent. We were just coached so far down. We honestly aren't as bad as our record.

A coach like Harbaugh and a good QB. You are are talking about turnaround city here real quick... Not every problem solved. But moving in the right direction quickly.

Yes please.

~ Matt Ryan - Stud QB.

~ Have bad O lines.
~ Have no weapons.

You just described Alex Smith's career and yet you hate on him like he raped your mother.

~ Matt Ryan - Stud QB.

~ Have bad O lines.
~ Have no weapons.

You just described Alex Smith's career and yet you hate on him like he raped your mother.

I actually liked Alex. It's not going to work out for him here. And yes he had all those problems. I wouldn't call it an Alexcuse. It's honestly the environment he had. One of the worst run organzations over the last 5 - 6 years and even before that too.

~ Matt Ryan - Stud QB.

~ Have bad O lines.
~ Have no weapons.

I actually liked Alex. It's not going to work out for him here. And yes he had all those problems. I wouldn't call it an Alexcuse. It's honestly the environment he had. One of the worst run organzations over the last 5 - 6 years and even before that too.

Nobody has denied that the York family has screwed us over. But what you fail to realize is that Jed is not his parents.

~ Matt Ryan - Stud QB.

~ Have bad O lines.
~ Have no weapons.

Nobody has denied that the York family has screwed us over. But what you fail to realize is that Jed is not his parents.

He screwed up big time with Dingletary. His first move of real big consequence. So far he's the same pattern as his parents. And don't kid yourself his parents are still heavily involved. Especially John. He goes to the facility very often and is hanging out in the offices. What do you think he is doing there?... No influence at all? None? LOL. Jed is more of a Frontman / Faceman to the media.

The Yorks can put anybody out there to face Lowell Cohn questions that they want. It doesn't mean Jed operates with complete autonomy.

Even if you assume he does his decisions thus far have been real bad...

And firing the last wrong guy and giving a speech where you fumble with your water bottle is not as tough as finding the right new guy / guys (GM, HC, OC, DC, QB)...

~ Matt Ryan - Stud QB.

~ Have bad O lines.
~ Have no weapons.

He screwed up big time with Dingletary. His first move of real big consequence. So far he's the same pattern as his parents. And don't kid yourself his parents are still heavily involved. Especially John. He goes to the facility very often and is hanging out in the offices. What do you think he is doing there?... No influence at all? None? LOL. Jed is more of a Frontman / Faceman to the media.

The Yorks can put anybody out there to face Lowell Cohn questions that they want. It doesn't mean Jed operates with complete autonomy.

And firing the last wrong guy and giving a speech where you fumble with your water bottle is not as tough as finding the right new guy / guys (GM, HC, OC, DC, QB)...

that was his FIRST move period! The kid is learning on the fly. But the key word is he is LEARNING!
screw winning this game...

the difference between winning this game and losing this game has MAJOR implications for the draft despite what other teams do...

if we end up w/ a top 5 pick, it gives us leverage if we choose to trade up, being that we wouldnt have to give up a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rnd pick along w/ the 5th pick overall in this years draft or the 5th pick overall along with a 1st/2nd rnd pick in 2012, to do so...

if we pick 6-12, essentially, we lose leverage due to the fact that the other team would demand future early rnd picks as well as this year's 1st rnd pick. We dont have the luxury of trading away future early rnd picks just to get what we want this year....

also, due to the likelihood a new CBA contains language restricting outrageous rookie contracts, draft picks will become an extremely hot commoditity, and those who throw em away carelessly will surely regret it

~ Matt Ryan - Stud QB.

~ Have bad O lines.
~ Have no weapons.

that was his FIRST move period! The kid is learning on the fly. But the key word is he is LEARNING!

Sounds like we are in great shape with a inexperienced kid who is leaning on the fly.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 28, 2010 at 03:25:31 ]

~ Matt Ryan - Stud QB.

~ Have bad O lines.
~ Have no weapons.

Sounds like we are in great shape with a inexperienced kid who is leaning on the fly.

seems to be doing things the right way now that he is consulting his uncle.
Share 49ersWebzone