There are 164 users in the forums

Hoping we lose is silly talk...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Look...nobody's saying the Niners shouldn't play to win...but, let's face it, this team doesn't deserve to go to the playoffs. If they should uncharacteristically win their last two games, that's what'll happen. They'll get blown out by whomever they play in the 1st round...then we're faced with the increasing potential that Jed won't do the right thing and fire Singletary. Sorry, that's not a scenario I want to see...because it wouldn't be in the team's best interests "moving forward" as Singletary is wont to say. The only way this team can be turned around is to hire a real GM...someone who knows what he's doing, then let that GM hire the best head coach he can find. The synergy between those two is critical...because together, they can turn this team around. The draft position's important...don't kid yourselves...the higher (relatively speaking) we pick, the better. So, I guess the real question is, do you want a hollow playoff appearance and risk Singletary staying, or finish the season 6-10 (as I've predicted), with a much better chance of seeing Jed make some bold decisions that will, in effect, clean house. I'd much prefer the latter.
  • NP9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Look...nobody's saying the Niners shouldn't play to win...but, let's face it, this team doesn't deserve to go to the playoffs. If they should uncharacteristically win their last two games, that's what'll happen. They'll get blown out by whomever they play in the 1st round...then we're faced with the increasing potential that Jed won't do the right thing and fire Singletary. Sorry, that's not a scenario I want to see...because it wouldn't be in the team's best interests "moving forward" as Singletary is wont to say. The only way this team can be turned around is to hire a real GM...someone who knows what he's doing, then let that GM hire the best head coach he can find. The synergy between those two is critical...because together, they can turn this team around. The draft position's important...don't kid yourselves...the higher (relatively speaking) we pick, the better. So, I guess the real question is, do you want a hollow playoff appearance and risk Singletary staying, or finish the season 6-10 (as I've predicted), with a much better chance of seeing Jed make some bold decisions that will, in effect, clean house. I'd much prefer the latter.

He Gets it!
I also want to see the Niners lose this week. I've been a fan since 1971, but became a real die-hard the day they drafted Joe, (yes, I'm also a ND fan). I grew up loving the Baltimore Colts and liking the Dallas Cowboys, (Stuper Bowl V). But I had no love for the LA Rams, and always wanted the 49ers to beat them out. But come playoff time I pulled for Captain America and the boys. All that changed when I read in the papers ( there was no TV coverage of the draft back then), that Joe was going to the Niners.
Since then I've always pulled for SF to win. However, this "Single Brain Cell" thing has got to stop and I just can't see him getting fired if they win the division. I hope I can be wrong here, that regardless of winning the NFC worst, Jed would not be able to stomach this brand of football any longer and remove coach Pom Pom as soon as the final gun sounds on our last loss. But Jed is not close to being as obsessed as Eddie was, (remember the film clip of Eddie saying "the most important thing is I DON'T LIKE TO LOSE!).
With all of these possibilities factored in I actually do want the Rams to beat us on Sunday. We should not tank the game. And it should not be stolen from us by bad officiating. But if the Rams play wll enough to beat us straigt up then I will be very confident that Jed will fire Simpleton and his Run up the gut offense ASAP. And given our ability to game plan and make adjustments when necessary I'm hoping that the better team will prevail. Then we can all get back on the right track of getting rid of Neanderthhal Mike.
Exactly...you just can't get blinded by the talk of playoffs...because it wouldn't achieve the desired results, which are to get Singletary fired and a true GM in place. He has this team barely treading water...and playoffs or not, that just won't do. Put an experienced head coach in place, working in synch with his GM and just watch things change for the better.
Barring some unforeseen miracle this is a moot point anyway. Singletary is gone, and he can only blame himself for not learning from his mistakes. He might turn out to be a decent coach someday, but it will not likely be here.
i don't think i'd even be excited if we make the playoffs...........

since most likely we'd just get embarrassed.
  • SS2K8
  • Veteran
Fans not wanting the Niners to make the playoffs is simply a vote of no confidence in little Jed. Nothing more.

If I was the Rams, I would let us win and forgo the nationally televised beat down at the hands of the Saints or Giants just to try and fool a division rival into keeping a terrible coach and an even worse management structure.

I don't think any Niner fan cares about draft position. If we all knew that Sing was gone and we were gonna build a proper front office structure regardless of what happens, we'd all gladly put up with the week long media roasting, the loss of draft position, and a potentially ugly wildcard game.
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Yeah well, did you see that Goodall is considering having meetings a a new seeding arrangement for the playoffs, becasue the Niners or some other lowlife team in the NFC will get in on a WAY losing record?

Isn't that just fantastic' The 49er Rule for losers entering within striking distance of entering the playoffs with a losing record. F*king great.

I've been through all the Championship years and I can tell you noobs that have not seen a playoff game, this is not worth it if the Niners have to bear this tag for decades after the brilliance that has come before. Of you know, like; Team of the 80', Team of the Decade..

Screw these playoffs....... just for this reason alone..

Still stuck in the 80's huh?

You don't know nothin, about nothin

excellent ! no one picked up on your response--an 80's song!

you don't know nuthin, about nuthin, gotta have sumthing, if you want to be with me !
Corva's got it right, so reread his post above.

I disagree with VANiner's point in that i believe it is in the worst interest of the 9ers to keep el bobo here( bigmike, AKA "the BM"), and hence anything having to do with winning now and going to playoffs just sabotages this team, this franchise. Look, a lot is bad with the 9ers, but worst is BM. Until he is gone, we are at the bottom of the barrel. Once he goes, then get a HOFO--head of football ops, eg parcells---and let him pick an up and coming GM, and HC. To leave this job in the hands of jed is like you or me being rocket scientists, and we aren't. Jed has no background to make a good pick for GM, he has picked lousy already, and "born with the golden spoon in his mouth" has no business making a decision as important as this is. If he picks somebody like el bobo again, we are screwed AGAIN. Besides, i have taken the pledge not to watch the 9ers until we lose, and the BM is mercifully flushed down the toilet . The longer that fake stays around the worse it hurts our team, so yeah, if we have to lose one to guarantee we don't go to POs, okay ,so be it. It would be disgraceful and embarrassing for this completely crappily coached team with el bobo at the head to show up in the P.Os.
Does any REAL 9er fan want that to happen? It will take those 5 trophies we have from SBs, and make people forget them if they see us lay a BM-turdicus-horribilis on the carpet of a P.O. game. It just can't happen. Let's get this lost season with el bozo bobo in the rear view mirror and move on.

Oh, yeah, the moment we are eliminated, jed should fire "the BM". Not out of meaness, either. But it would give the team a message...playing shiddy, with a fake, worthless HC, will not be tolerated anymore.

and here's a prediction. I never got to evaluate alex, because he never played behind a good OL, never had an OC for more than a yr(JR got fired this yr but MJ is his 6th new OC), never had a HC worth one plug nickel. Just too much baggage, and not enough football presence, in spite of all obstacles. He's gone, and i never said it before, but that has to be inescapable opinion of the fans.
I think we can all agree that either way, win or lose, there is going to be a bright side! And thats better than early in the season, where each terrible loss despite our increased talent just brought despair.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I disagree. Im not one of those hoping to lose, but I will say that having a higher draft pick and a softer schedule in 2011 are just some of the byproducts of what we all really want. The FIRING of this awful coaching staff, and the END to the Alex Smith Project.

This is our ultimate goal. Whether you want the team to make the playoffs or not, I think its safe to say that the majority of fans are looking forward to both those things....

This

Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by susweel:
Okay lets say we win and get into the playoffs and we some how win a game in the playoffs and Sing is retained.

He's going to be retained anyways if the league and the players union don't agree on a new CBA in the next 3 weeks.

Actually, now that I've thought about it, making the playoffs might mean they will be more likely to fire Sing. If there is no new CBA soon and they fire him they will be paying Sing and a new HC at the same time. That isn't likely to happen. However if they make the playoffs the team will make a lot more money than they would if they don't (and the 21st pick in the draft is millions less expensive than one taken around 10-11).

So, if they make the playoffs they will have millions more in profit and be able to afford firing Sing, but if they don't it may not be economically feasible to fire him until after next season.
I am not excited about the Niners making the playoffs. This season has pissed me off. Fire Sing and I will be happy.
I disagree. Im not one of those hoping to lose, but I will say that having a higher draft pick and a softer schedule in 2011 are just some of the byproducts of what we all really want. The FIRING of this awful coaching staff, and the END to the Alex Smith Project.

This is our ultimate goal. Whether you want the team to make the playoffs or not, I think its safe to say that the majority of fans are looking forward to both those things....

Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:

Tanking the last two games for a better pick in the draft is an awful idea, it's not a sure thing our top pick will have a huge impact, so losing for the sake of a better draft pick is absurd, as a fan I always want our team to win, and even if we get into the playoffs at 7-9 is not a bad thing, once the playoffs start it's a whole new season.

but sadly I dont know if we can even get to 7-9, next year I am hoping we start fresh start with a new coaching staff and a couple new QB's ..it's time for a change
I want to win games, playoffs is not bad, we would win it casue the other teams are trash. We will likely get steamrolled in wild card game, giving us a 7-10 record.
Singletary is gone no matter what, I hope the yorks learned their lesson from 2008 when they brought nolan back, again it is the yorks we are talking about,
Share 49ersWebzone