There are 191 users in the forums

Hoping we lose is silly talk...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We are sitting at #7 overall now in the draft. If we lose out and some of those 4 win teams win perhaps we can sneak up all the way to #5 overall... That's at 5 - 11. At 7 - 9 and winning the division we get blown out the first playoff game and pick #21... What a dropoff. This team really deserves top 5 or at least top 10. I see no advantage to the false hope of this winning scenario. We have a garbage coaching staff and needs at many positions.

A high draft pick dosen't mean jack squat. I could build a team or two of players taken past pick 15. We can still get good quality at 21, but a draft is about the quality that you get with all your picks not just one. People over value the first round pick in the draft. You can pretty much get a quality player with an position in the first or second, the drop off in talent isnt that big.
We are sitting at #7 overall now in the draft. If we lose out and some of those 4 win teams win perhaps we can sneak up all the way to #5 overall... That's at 5 - 11. At 7 - 9 and winning the division we get blown out the first playoff game and pick #21... What a dropoff. This team really deserves top 5 or at least top 10. I see no advantage to the false hope of this winning scenario. We have a garbage coaching staff and needs at many positions.

This is INSANE. A REAL FAN would never rout for his team to lose PERIOD.. The thought is Crazy! On a side note. Sandiego49er, when was the last time you said anything positive about the 9ers? 2002?
Originally posted by tmpluff:

This is INSANE. A REAL FAN would never rout for his team to lose PERIOD.. The thought is Crazy! On a side note. Sandiego49er, when was the last time you said anything positive about the 9ers? 2002?

You're right. Real fans don't root for their team to lose. He's not here for that, though. He's here to get a rise out of everybody by trolling and hating. He's good at it, too. And if that's really what he gets his kicks off of, then he must really be a happy fellow.

It's been all downhill after that.
The last time everyone was talking about losing to get the top draft pick was when the Niners played Houston in what was termed the "Bush Bowl" by fans. Niners won and Texans got the #1 pick and threw a curve ball and drafted Mario Williams. We drafted #6 and got Vernon Davis we got Manny Lawson with our other #1.

I personally think its ridiculous to lose purposely or hope the team loses so they can secure a high draft pick.
Originally posted by E-49er:
The last time everyone was talking about losing to get the top draft pick was when the Niners played Houston in what was termed the "Bush Bowl" by fans. Niners won and Texans got the #1 pick and threw a curve ball and drafted Mario Williams. We drafted #6 and got Vernon Davis we got Manny Lawson with our other #1.

I personally think its ridiculous to lose purposely or hope the team loses so they can secure a high draft pick.

The difference between #7 and #21 is pretty big and this is a pretty bad team. April is the most fun time of the year to be a 49er fan under the new ownership.
If we win the #$%^$$^ of this board wont have anything to talk about. Of course they dont want us to win. Misery loves company!
How do you watch your team play and hope they lose? Are you a cardsand rams fan for a weak?

Why even watch?
Originally posted by E-49er:

The difference between #7 and #21 is pretty big and this is a pretty bad team. April is the most fun time of the year to be a 49er fan under the new ownership.

I agree that the difference between #7 and #21 is a big difference. I don't think the team is as bad as its record. There is more talent on this team then there has been since the Donahue purge. I think with good coaching this team could have easily been a 9-7 team. I understand wanting a high draft pick to trade up for a QB but I'm not gonna cheer for them to lose to secure that. If we so happen to win out and Seattle loses to send us to the playoffs I will be happy regardless of the record. I don't think its likely that will happen but I still want the team to win. What happens if Luck doesn't come out and we have the #7 pick? You still have to take a QB with a later pick because i don't think Locker,Newton and Mallett are worthy of top 10 consideration. Like I said I understand the argument for losing but I don't think April should be when 49er fans get excited,but you are right because unfortunately it is.

It's been all downhill after that.

Don't forget SD49. you are NOT a "real fan", this guy says so. He must know just every itty bitty thing in the world ya..

I simply cannot fathom how you can call yourself a fan of a team and then hope that they lose. I like burritos should I hope they taste like crap every time I buy one? Oh I like cars too should I hope that it breaks down on me while driving to work?
Not just lose, get completely humiliated. That is the goal.

The draft pick is not the issue. The issue is Singletary. The worse the loss, the deeper the humiliation, the uglier things get for all to see, the better. Remember, just 6 days ago, every meathead on the NFL Network pre-game breakdown stated that they thought it would be wrong to fire Singletary at the end of the year. All five panelists. Club Mensa.

Let's lay out a turd so stinky that no one, and I mean no one, would even fathom the idea of bringing Singletary back. Bad visions of giving Nolan "one more year" are permanently fried into my brain.

Lose. Lose ugly, and lose often. Cheers.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I disagree. Im not one of those hoping to lose, but I will say that having a higher draft pick and a softer schedule in 2011 are just some of the byproducts of what we all really want. The FIRING of this awful coaching staff, and the END to the Alex Smith Project.

This is our ultimate goal. Whether you want the team to make the playoffs or not, I think its safe to say that the majority of fans are looking forward to both those things....

What makes you believe they will make good use of a high draft pick? Also, the schedule will not change much, if I am not mistaken, we will get the NFC East and the AFC North, regardless of record.
It comes down to the reality that IF the Niners do the unexpected and win out, the odds of Jed keeping Singletary increase. The draft position is also important, but not nearly as much as getting an experienced head coach and a true GM who can turn this franchise around. I'd much rather see a new regime next year than a hollow trip to the playoffs this year.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
YOU PLAY TO WIN GAMES..NOT TO LOSE THEM
Share 49ersWebzone