There are 228 users in the forums

Hoping we lose is silly talk...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's kind of silly to me that many fans and those in the media are hoping for us to lose in the last couple weeks because 1)our draft position will be lower than if we miss the playoffs and 2)that our schedule will be tougher next year due to having to play division winners as opposed to 2nd/3rd place finishers.

Well, first of all, do we really want to have a pick in the 7-11 range AGAIN. Granted, we would probably get a good player, but the draft is just as much of a crap shoot in the top half of the first round as it is in the bottom half. Had we had the 21st pick in the 2010 draft (and that is what we would have next year at the highest if we made the playoffs) we could have gotten a player like B. Bulaga, D. Bryant, D. McCourty, K. Wilson, J. Best or P. Robinson. I don't think any of us would have been upset with any of those guys on our team. Point is, play for this year and getting a high draft pick (unless we could be in the A. Luck sweepstakes...which we won't be) should not play a part in wanting to get a win.

As for the schedule, we have to play the NFC East next year. That means by winning our division we would likely play CHI and ATL next year. Big deal. Does it really matter if we play those two or if we play NO and GB. Actually, I think we would match up better with the likely division winners than the 2nd place teams.

Bottom line, any fan and knowledgeable media person should understand this. If your a fan, root for your team and cut the loser talk so we can have a high draft pick and easier schedule. The worst part about us making the playoffs is that we will have to hear for the entire offseason how we didn't belong...unless we get a win or two...who knows? At least we will be able to make fun of GB fans (since they are in a tough spot to get in).
  • ZRF80
I disagree. Im not one of those hoping to lose, but I will say that having a higher draft pick and a softer schedule in 2011 are just some of the byproducts of what we all really want. The FIRING of this awful coaching staff, and the END to the Alex Smith Project.

This is our ultimate goal. Whether you want the team to make the playoffs or not, I think its safe to say that the majority of fans are looking forward to both those things....
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I disagree. Im not one of those hoping to lose, but I will say that having a higher draft pick and a softer schedule in 2011 are just some of the byproducts of what we all really want. The FIRING of this awful coaching staff, and the END to the Alex Smith Project.

This is our ultimate goal. Whether you want the team to make the playoffs or not, I think its safe to say that the majority of fans are looking forward to both those things....

This
I would rather play Chicago and Atlanta than New Orleans and Green Bay. But Tampa Bay and Minnesota is much better.
My thought is, Unless you can get Luck, (which we can't) Who gives a flip about next year just yet, If you make it to the playoffs ANYTHING Can happen. Not saying it will BUT it could. I mean Sometimes we play bad. But remember we were very close to beating ATL, NO, Philly, so to say it's out of the realm of possibility for us to make a run is a bit pessimistic. however currently I'm just focused on beating the Rams, and praying that TB shoves their boot up Seattles you know what!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Once there was a tomato that wanted to fly like an eagle. So it decided to go to the house of the badger, who was known as an excellent source of information. Unfortunately for the tomato, the badger had the bear over for tea. As we all know badgers are carnivorous predators, while bears are omnivores.

Poor tomato will never fly.

That's silly talk.

Get it right.
WE DO NOT BELONG IN THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR.

and i hope we lose the next 2 games, get a new coach, draft a QB, and some secondary help!!!!

So yeah, i must be silly
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:

and i hope we lose the next 2 games, get a new coach, draft a QB, and some secondary help!!!!

So yeah, i must be silly
Originally posted by susweel:

This

I must be really silly.

Good point. I agree with that. Realistically, I would think that the coach and Smith are gone next year UNLESS we somehow made it to the NFC championship...giving ownership a false sense of validation. That said, that would require us to win four games in a row, the latter two likely being NO and ATL. Not saying can't happen, but very, very far from likely. Right now, I would just hope people would hope for as many victories as we can get.

You're finally starting to catch on to the real problems aren't you?
sad to say, but over the last few years, we do not even need to hope to lose, it just happens anyway.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Dec 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM ]
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:

So yeah, i must be silly

Well the last time we got what you are hoping for it was the Nolan/Smith package. That worked out great, didn't it? You never know how our new coach and QB next year will pan out (whoever they might be), so might as well hope for the best this year. So yeah, you are silly.
Share 49ersWebzone