LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

2011 solutions for our QB dilemna

Shop Find 49ers gear online

2011 solutions for our QB dilemna

• fryet
  • Veteran
I keep thinking of the options here, and I must confess I don't see a good solution. With McNabb being benched,it highlights the challenge of trusting that a vet, with a limited number of years left will actually raise the level of play for your organization. Let's take Brett Favre, as an example. A HOF player, but only 1 year out of 3 was he successful outside of Green Bay. Those aren't good odds at all. Keep in mind that everyone expects a lock-out this year, which apparently will seriously limit the free agent market. Kolb is also mentioned as an option, but he really hasn't had that much success in the league, but will probably still not come cheap. He is a big question mark as well.

I think most will want the 49ers to spend a 1st round pick on a QB in 2011, but we will most certainly be out of contention for the Andrew Luck bowl (count me as one who expects the 49ers to win the NFC West). So we, along with a lot of other teams will be picking one of the Locker/Mallet/Newton QBs which sound like high risk options. It probably is not reasonable to expect any of them to win in 2011.

Which brings us back to Alex and Troy Smith. Those players may give us the best chance of winning in 2011, and I personally rate Alex higher than Troy. Despite all the flaws, it seems to make the most sense to have one of both for 2011 until a rookie is ready to take over. Signing Troy Smith would not be hard, but getting Alex to sign a contract might be much more difficult.

I know it would kill a lot of people for the 49ers to extend Alex Smith, but it would make a lot of sense.
I thought this wanna gonna be a list of 2011 solutions.

You only gave us four
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Go ahead and add to the list of options. I assume you mean a list of all possible QBs that we could sign?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Sign Alex to a 10 year extension.
Im thinking a new coach will make the diference in our qb situation. Depending on who we bring in as HC it could go a million different ways with the qb.
Originally posted by susweel:
Sign Alex to a 10 year extension.
I think unless we can get Luck or maybe Mallett the team should shy away from a first round Qb pick, it is not like the team is set in all areas.

Bringing a veteran Qb via free agency or trade is probably less risky than a rookie starting. That being said, not sure who will be available and the asking prices for let's say a Kevin Kolb. Regardless, A. Smith or T. Smith should be signed, only at the right price and for a backup gig, not to be starters.
  • HIMYM
  • Veteran
I still think it's more on coaching than our players. We need aggressive coaches that attack on both offense & defense. This team would play so much better. Also, mistakes eliminate automatically in a winning and confident environment. How can this team be confident when we're always playing not to lose?
Niners need a GM and a coach. Depending on who those two (or maybe one) are/is, then we can explore the QB option.
Where is the combo vote for a veteran acquisition AND a draft pick?

I don't know if it necessarily has to be a first round qb but if we can't get Andrew Luck(long shot at this point, especially if we win another game) I'd like them to look at Nick Foles.
You guys are obsessed with who will play QB, worry more about the O-line doing it's damn job, receivers catching passes and the OC calling better plays!!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Where is the combo vote for a veteran acquisition AND a draft pick?

This
Originally posted by HIMYM:
I still think it's more on coaching than our players. We need aggressive coaches that attack on both offense & defense. This team would play so much better. Also, mistakes eliminate automatically in a winning and confident environment. How can this team be confident when we're always playing not to lose?

I dont think a lot of you guys watched college football this season. I pray we somehow get CAM Newton. He is an unbelievable talent that will translate to the NFL ...
Originally posted by Ladoskiwoski:
Originally posted by HIMYM:

I dont think a lot of you guys watched college football this season. I pray we somehow get CAM Newton. He is an unbelievable talent that will translate to the NFL ...

What makes you think Newton will be any better than guys like Vince Young?

He has some great tools and could be an excellent qb but he'd be a project and someone who will need some solid coaching to really hit his stride and be a good NFL qb. Certainly with this coaching staff he'd be an easy bust.

We'll see who will be brought in and whether they have an ability to groom a new qb.
Share 49ersWebzone