LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

what would you do as a fan if jed kept singletary beyond this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
For anyone who may be waffling due to today's performance, THINK about next year's schedule. If we do not get a HC in that knows X&Os and can utilize the talent we have, we are going to get ass raped.
Originally posted by deminutah:
For anyone who may be waffling due to today's performance, THINK about next year's schedule. If we do not get a HC in that knows X&Os and can utilize the talent we have, we are going to get ass raped.

You dont need a head coach that knows X&Os, just need the coordinators to. If Singletary can get a McDaniels or someone like that next year, we'll have the ability of Singletary to keep the players playing hard and physical with the gameplanning, and strategy of a young hungry offensive schemer.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:

You dont need a head coach that knows X&Os, just need the coordinators to. If Singletary can get a McDaniels or someone like that next year, we'll have the ability of Singletary to keep the players playing hard and physical with the gameplanning, and strategy of a young hungry offensive schemer.

No. Make it stop. Don't be fooled by one game.
Originally posted by Envy:

Whether I want Singletary retained, or whether you want him fired, it doesn't really matter, its not in our hands. I'm just not so quick to throw out a head coach whom the players have played hard for all season when other high profile teams had their players turn on their coaches.

Whether I want Singletary retained, or whether you want him fired, it doesn't really matter, its not in our hands. I'm just not so quick to throw out a head coach whom the players have played hard for all season when other high profile teams had their players turn on their coaches.

If Singletary could let a young OC run the offense without making him play smash mouth, I might agree. But, do you really see him being that flexible? He has not shown that ability so far.

Really????? Please tell me one good HC that is not a student of the game from a strategy standpoint.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

If Singletary could let a young OC run the offense without making him play smash mouth, I might agree. But, do you really see him being that flexible? He has not shown that ability so far.

Definitely. I dont think he's as rigid as some claim him to be, every report from within the organization has indicated that strategy and gameplanning has been a group discussion with the coaches, not just Singletary issuing commands from on high. There's not alot you can do as a head coach when your quarterback play has been as horrendous as ours has been, in fact look around the league, there isn't a winning coach anywhere that has had consistently shoddy QB play.
support my team.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame

And how well has it gone thus far with a "I have to look at the film" head coach? The problem is that if the offensive Xs and Os don't come from the head coach, and he cannot make adjustments then the OC will always take the offensive system with him. Terminology changes, base offense changes, utilization of personnel changes - in a league where offense is being valued over defense it is more important to have continuity on the offensive side of the ball instead of the defense. And staying "fysical" doesn't constitute continuity.

untill i see jed say or do something saying sings jobs in jeopardy sing is the coach next year people listen to the media to much the only thing that counts is what comes from the boss's mouth not frrom any of these writers or cable channels
  • Envy
  • Veteran

Definitely. I dont think he's as rigid as some claim him to be, every report from within the organization has indicated that strategy and gameplanning has been a group discussion with the coaches, not just Singletary issuing commands from on high. There's not alot you can do as a head coach when your quarterback play has been as horrendous as ours has been, in fact look around the league, there isn't a winning coach anywhere that has had consistently shoddy QB play.

Sorry but whilst there may have been some reports the proof is in the pudding. Until today we have done very little offensively and pretty much collectively also. You are hoping Singletary could adapt but you have no proof that he can.

I also disagree with the Xs and Os. Whilst there may have been some coaches that had little knowledge of it and won games the fact remains that the more successful coaches did so by learning their trade.

Sorry but whilst there may have been some reports the proof is in the pudding. Until today we have done very little offensively and pretty much collectively also. You are hoping Singletary could adapt but you have no proof that he can.

I also disagree with the Xs and Os. Whilst there may have been some coaches that had little knowledge of it and won games the fact remains that the more successful coaches did so by learning their trade.

Singletary is the HC who set the offensive philosophy--smash mouth. That was not a group decision, but a dictum from the Old Bear. It is hard to work in the spread when your HC is determined to fill the squad with his kind of player. But, the QB is a spread kind of guy and Westbrook is suited for the spread, so perhaps the O can be transformed. In the second half it was back to smash mouth and things looked bad (in comparison to the first half).

Edit--It was OK to go conservative in the second half, given the score. But, it did remind me that change to an effective O is not a given with Big Mike in charge.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM ]
Call me in February. If he makes the playoffs all bets are off. If he doesn't then this is a valid question. To be honest. Even if we miss the playoffs, I don't care if they keep him. I think he'll get better as this goes forward. He's the only 5-8 coach in the playoff hunt.
Also I don't want to hear anything about Singletary being fired. Seriously, if I read in the paper that we signed a marque coach then great. There is no point wasting energy on firing a guy if you haven't found someone to replace him with yet.
I'd also hate to see this staff get broken up and the players hung out to dry again. I'm liking Johnson as a O.C. I trust Manusky with the D. It's funny how much we preach consistency and patience but then just make all kind of crazy changes every single off season.
If I had a crystal ball that said Harbaugh would be the HC next year and we'd win the SB by his third year then I'd be all for it. Without that foreknowledge I'd like to see if we can't finally build something long term.
Then again like I started this post....call me in February.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Call me in February. If he makes the playoffs all bets are off. If he doesn't then this is a valid question. To be honest. Even if we miss the playoffs, I don't care if they keep him. I think he'll get better as this goes forward. He's the only 5-8 coach in the playoff hunt.
Also I don't want to hear anything about Singletary being fired. Seriously, if I read in the paper that we signed a marque coach then great. There is no point wasting energy on firing a guy if you haven't found someone to replace him with yet.
I'd also hate to see this staff get broken up and the players hung out to dry again. I'm liking Johnson as a O.C. I trust Manusky with the D. It's funny how much we preach consistency and patience but then just make all kind of crazy changes every single off season.
If I had a crystal ball that said Harbaugh would be the HC next year and we'd win the SB by his third year then I'd be all for it. Without that foreknowledge I'd like to see if we can't finally build something long term.
Then again like I started this post....call me in February.

This ! The players are still playing hard for Sing and maybe, just maybe the breaks are starting to flow in the 49ers favor as oppose to the first half of the year.

So my answer to the thread is.....as a fan I'd support Jed's decision!
Share 49ersWebzone