LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

Poll - Did You Want The Niners To Lose? Man Up!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll - Did You Want The Niners To Lose? Man Up!

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by ninertico:

For those who state that they would never cheer for their team to lose, because they are the true "fans", they are liars, and hypocrits. .

I never, ever rooted for my team to lose since I was young enough to watch NinerBall on my Dad's lap...ever!

Blanket statements like this only magnify just how self-absorbed you are in your analysis of us as fans.

I still want change after the season, but not at the expense of losing. If it happens that way so be it, but don't come in here and tell me I am a liar and hypocrite because them's fightin' words sir!

Don't assume how we feel as fans. You don't know us personally only the posts we choose to write on this forum.

The audacity, the unmitigated gall!!!! You seriously got some nerve, man.

Still rooting, still hoping, still grounded!

Go Niners forever!!!

So, you are cheering for our team, in the scenario I presented, to win that last meaningless game and lose the rights to Luck? If so, I applaude your passion, but also question your rationale into the long-term health of the franchise. I also remain a skeptic to some degree that deep inside, that is what you really want to see happen. Sorry.

In the end, we both want the Niners to win, I just see losing now as a vehicle to winning down the road.

My premise and thoughts are simply based on the idea that this team will continue to be a failure under Singletary, and the only way to end this failure is to complete the failure and ensure there is no hope for his survival as our head coach.

My duty as a fan is to root, support and cheer for this team, not to provide rationale on the long-term health of the franchise.

That job is entrusted to organization that I already have been on record saying that it needs to CHANGE.

So we know where I stand:
Want Singletary's Brand gone, period.
Want WCO back at its mecca.
Want Offensive focused HC.
Want GM.
Want new QB to mold, not a FA like Kolb especially if Troy continues to do well enough.
Want Alex and Dave gone.
Want a pass rusher and CB rookies to go along with our new QB.

Lastly, I still want my Niners to win, period no matter what the draft cost.

You have your POV and I have mine.

Again, I have never rooted for any of my teams to lose from pros to college to HS.

I am just not built that way.

BTW MD, the mind can rationalize as much as it can. It doesn't mean that its the truth.

My premise and thoughts are simply based on the idea that this team will continue to be a failure under Singletary, and the only way to end this failure is to complete the failure and ensure there is no hope for his survival as our head coach.

I agree with you that Singletary isn't our coach, and I also don't believe EITHER Smith is our QB of the future, but I don't think winning and even making the playoffs would necessarily solidify either of their roles moving forward. Would a loss to Arizona have stung as bad as the loss to Seattle in Week 1, or the losses to Atlanta or Carolina? No, but only because I'm a little beat down from a year of disappointment.

But at game time I could never bring myself to actually hope to see us not convert a 3rd down, or to turn the ball over, or to let another team run all over us. Maybe in the opinions of some that means I'm shortsighted, but to me it's the definition of being a fan.
Never want them to lose. I try to stay positive and think of the pros vs cons when it comes to the loss column. Never do I say I would love for my team to lose just for the sake of demoting a player or coach, thats just plain stupid
Why do people want to give up on a team with a playoff chance to draft a qb? do you have any memory? do you realize that we have 2 useless highly touted qb's that were number one overall riding the pine?

For those who state that they would never cheer for their team to lose, because they are the true "fans", they are liars, and hypocrits. .

I never, ever rooted for my team to lose since I was young enough to watch NinerBall on my Dad's lap...ever!

Blanket statements like this only magnify just how self-absorbed you are in your analysis of us as fans.

I still want change after the season, but not at the expense of losing. If it happens that way so be it, but don't come in here and tell me I am a liar and hypocrite because them's fightin' words sir!

Don't assume how we feel as fans. You don't know us personally only the posts we choose to write on this forum.

Go Niners forever!!!

For those who state that they cheer for their team to lose, because they are the smart "fans", they are liars, and hypocrits.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Go Niners forever!!!

For those who state that they cheer for their team to lose, because they are the smart "fans", they are liars, and hypocrits.
And another thing...

Even if we lose out now, there is no way we would still get to Luck with only 4 wins so just forget about it.

Take a look at Carolina's, Detroit's, Cincy's and Buffalo's schedule for the next five weeks. Yea, good luck with that!

IMO, I believe that it will come down like this:

Car-2-14
Det-2-14
Cin-2-14
Buf-2-14
AZ-3-13

Those five will be before us no matter what and look, AZ is looking for a QB too. Oops they're in front of us so not even Mallett is an option for they will reach for him instead of Locker or Newton, IMO.

Therefore, please put the Luck sweepstakes ticket in the garbage because there is no way we will have a shot.

So start cheering for your team again!

Go Niners forever!!!

Outside of a handful of people, I don't buy the idea that people cheer for their team to win to the detriment of the future. Sorry.

P.S. I have never claimed that those who want their team to win, even in this sorry state, are not fans. Instead, if you read through this thread, the real "fans" critized the idea that losing now means winning down the road, and that perspective makes one a less of a "fan". In other words, the people who agree with me were the ones insulted, not visa versa.

Let's go beyond the draft (I think some are caught up in this concept, and this is not the main argument to lose) and create a scenario: Niners management is on the fence of whether to maintain Singletary at the end of the year, and the last game is the determinant. A loss means the team will pursue a Jon Gruden-type coach. Do we honestly believe that Niners fans would cheer for a victory in this game, and another year of the disaster in Mike Singletary, versus a loss in a meaningless game and the opportunity to get a long-term winner, someone who can make our team respectable and feared in the league? I'm sorry, I'll take that loss in that meaningless game any day for a brighter future.

Cheers.
And another thing...

Even if we lose out now, there is no way we would still get to Luck with only 4 wins so just forget about it.

Take a look at Carolina's, Detroit's, Cincy's and Buffalo's schedule for the next five weeks. Yea, good luck with that!

Car-2-14
Det-2-14
Cin-2-14
Buf-2-14
AZ-3-13

Those five will be before us no matter what and look, AZ is looking for a QB too. Oops they're in front of us so not even Mallett is an option for they will reach for him instead of Locker or Newton, IMO.

Therefore, please put the Luck sweepstakes ticket in the garbage because there is no way we will have a shot.

You are right. We are not going to get Luck. In the draft forum, I have been repeating to those who think he is going to fall to the Niners at number ______, they are dreaming. I simply used that scenario (Luck) as an example, and did so with another one on the post above regarding Gruden.

Pick the scenario: It doesn't really matter. A loss means a win.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 3, 2010 at 12:35:28 ]
I know most Niners fan base are saying, "let's just lose so we can get rid of Singletary and get a 1st round pick to select a qb." Thats fine and all to feel that way. However for me as Niner fan its all about now. I am not worried about draft picks and what happens next season. Its about now. Niners lost their first 5 games I would like to see the Niners finish their last five games with wins. 9-7 sounds outright crazy but its possible. So what if our division is the weakest in the league, if the Niners can get in and host the playoffs who knows what could happen. I am stoked and excited about the possibility of clinching the division. I truly feel the Niners deserve it for everything they have gone through. Now all that said, NINERS NOW GO BEAT THE s**t OUT OF AARON RODGER AND THE GREENBAY CHEESEHEADS! GOOOOO NINERS! Also no more of " NIIIIIINERS" thats Raiders stuff.

And another thing...

Car-2-14
Det-2-14
Cin-2-14
Buf-2-14
AZ-3-13

You are right. We are not going to get Luck. I simply used that scenario as an example, and did so with another one on the post above regarding Gruden.

In your capacity as a fan, you have no idea whether the front office would even spring the money for a proven coach like Gruden or Holmgren and even if they did, what type of franchise would we have to show them? "Well we definitely have playoff caliber talent here that coasted its way to a 4-12 record because apparently the head coach and not their own personal drive dictates whether they play to win every week....so better stay on their good side Gruden or they'll quit on you too! Now please sign right here..."

The irony of the "smart fan" supposedly wanting to lose games for the future is that that concept is so short-sided and bereft of taking in the actual scope of what losing does to a team and a franchise that you've never seen a legitimate analyst or ex-player ever seriously suggest anything close to it. Only ridiculous fans with no real sense of perspective or understanding of what it takes to build a winning organization.
And another thing...

Car-2-14
Det-2-14
Cin-2-14
Buf-2-14
AZ-3-13

You are right. We are not going to get Luck. In the draft forum, I have been repeating to those who think he is going to fall to the Niners at number ______, they are dreaming. I simply used that scenario (Luck) as an example, and did so with another one on the post above regarding Gruden.

With that logic, who could argue?

Again, different POV MD. I just don't see or succumb to yours. You can try to validate your position with me, but I am here to tell ya it is all...

We cheer for the game at hand, not the future. Again, a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Seriously man, I know your affinity to justify your positions, but C'mon now!

We will certainly agree to disagree on "fandom".

The other thing to contemplate is the fact that we have the easiest schedule so however many wins we have against the other teams with the same amount, we will choose first above all of them.

Hey, I can see close to 5-9 teams that can be at 7-9 at the end of the season with us being the first of those and still going to the playoffs. We could still be in a top 10 position.

How's that for fate?

So what's the problem? Win division, host a playoff game and still pick top 10. Absurd, but sounds good to me.

Got cake? Eat it 'cause you can have both.

Go Niners forever!!!

Outside of a handful of people, I don't buy the idea that people cheer for their team to win to the detriment of the future. Sorry.

P.S. I have never claimed that those who want their team to win, even in this sorry state, are not fans. Instead, if you read through this thread, the real "fans" critized the idea that losing now means winning down the road, and that perspective makes one a less of a "fan". In other words, the people who agree with me were the ones insulted, not visa versa.

Let's go beyond the draft (I think some are caught up in this concept, and this is not the main argument to lose) and create a scenario: Niners management is on the fence of whether to maintain Singletary at the end of the year, and the last game is the determinant. A loss means the team will pursue a Jon Gruden-type coach. Do we honestly believe that Niners fans would cheer for a victory in this game, and another year of the disaster in Mike Singletary, versus a loss in a meaningless game and the opportunity to get a long-term winner, someone who can make our team respectable and feared in the league? I'm sorry, I'll take that loss in that meaningless game any day for a brighter future.

Cheers.

I am still trying to wrap my mind around this word. But I guess only someone as wise as you could comprehend its meaning. I thought maybe you meant to say criticized, but we all know you never misspell anything, so that surely cannot be it. I am going to have to Google it.

With that logic, who could argue?

Again, different POV MD. I just don't see or succumb to yours. You can try to validate your position with me, but I am here to tell ya it is all...

We cheer for the game at hand, not the future. Again, a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Seriously man, I know your affinity to justify your positions, but C'mon now!

We will certainly agree to disagree on "fandom".

The other thing to contemplate is the fact that we have the easiest schedule so however many wins we have against the other teams with the same amount, we will choose first above all of them.

Hey, I can see close to 5-9 teams that can be at 7-9 at the end of the season with us being the first of those and still going to the playoffs. We could still be in a top 10 position.

How's that for fate?

So what's the problem? Win division, host a playoff game and still pick top 10. Absurd, but sounds good to me.

Got cake? Eat it 'cause you can have both.

Actually, I think if we go to the playoffs, that resets draft position. We would then draft at 21 at the very best. I could be wrong, but I do not see the NFL letting a playoff team draft in the top 10...
Does nobody see the bigger picture? Most likely Alex and Carr are gone after this season. I like Troy Smith but I think he's been exposed. He throws best out of the pocket, therefore good teams will contain him. HE IS NOT OUR FUTURE. I agree Sing is gone no matter what, but we desperately need a QB more then ever.

top 4 QBS (just examples)
Luck
Mallet
Locker
Dalton

Let's say Luck, Mallet and Locker are gone by our pick and we take Dalton, cause he's really our last option. How sh*tty would it be if all 3 other QBs become franchise QBs and we get the Alex Smith of the future?

That is what I fear most. Is lose now means win sooner, I'm all for it. And I think the better the QB we get, the MORE we win. Might take half a season longer but hell, I've waited 7 years. What's a few more months?
Share 49ersWebzone