LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Our QB Depth Chart in 2011...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
... is the definition of instability at the most critical position on a football team.

Troy Smith- Isn't he in the last year of his existing contract?

Alex Smith- GONE

David Carr- Most-likely GONE

Nate Davis- WHO KNOWS?

I'm curious to see how this all turns out.
My guess.

1. Resign Troy Smith if he continues to play decent. Possibly franchise if he leads the team to the playoffs.

2. Alex Smith

3. Cut David Carr.

4. Have Nate Davis compete for a roster spot against rookie/veteran signee.

5. Bring in veteran QB to push Troy, Nate, and rookie.

[ Edited by fanmusclecars on Nov 21, 2010 at 00:55:25 ]
As long as the name Alex Smith isn't on there, I'll be happy.
And the depth chart should be the following...

#1) Troy Smith
#2) Veteran FA
#3) 1st or 2nd round rookie draft pick
Originally posted by PTulini:
... is the definition of instability at the most critical position on a football team.

Troy Smith- Isn't he in the last year of his existing contract?

Alex Smith- GONE

David Carr- Most-likely GONE

Nate Davis- WHO KNOWS?

I'm curious to see how this all turns out.

Although I am on the Troy Smith bandwagon, just to play devils advocate, what if he [Troy Smith] doesn't pan out, then we'd have a blank-slate of quarterbacks!

Okay, enough with the hypothetical scenarios!

Let's beat Tampa!!!

T-minus 12 hours
Alex and Carr are gone. Troy Smith's status will be determined the next 7 games. If he shines we take a QB with a 3rd round pick. On the other hand if he flops a first rounder. Nate Davis will have to work hard to stick. Vick may have been there last April for less than a 1st rounder.
Alex as a backup is fine but if he is challenging for the starter spot that means we didn't improve the position and we will be in big trouble...again
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I hope we keep Alex as a backup, but not sure if that bridge hasn't been burned already.
Eww. I just want to move on from that era. Let him go even if he wants to stay.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmike55:
As long as the name Alex Smith isn't on there, I'll be happy.

Carr is gone for sure, since they discovered that he's not even adequate as the second string guy.

I think it's time for Alex to move on. He's had a number of years and in addition to topping out in maturation and skill level, he's been injury prone. He gets all the reps in practice and it's time to start investing in someone else.

Troy Smith will decide his own fate during the remaining games, but it would be difficult not to resign him and give him an opportunity next year.

The jury is out on Davis, but if he works during the offseason, he has to make it to camp next year.

So to round out Troy and Nate, they need another vet in camp and a draft choice to groom/create more competition.

why is Carr still on the team now?
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
why is Carr still on the team now?

No s**t he sucks...why is he still in the league?
Originally posted by bigmike55:
And the depth chart should be the following...

#1) Troy Smith
#2) Veteran FA
#3) 1st or 2nd round rookie draft pick

I'd like this scenario... How about:
1- Smith
2- Bruce Gradowski, Kolb, or Ratliff
3- Rookie..
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
My guess.

1. Resign Troy Smith if he continues to play decent. Possibly franchise if he leads the team to the playoffs.

2. Alex Smith

3. Cut David Carr.

4. Have Nate Davis compete for a roster spot against rookie/veteran signee.

5. Bring in veteran QB to push Troy, Nate, and rookie.

Do you realize how much the franchise tag for a qb is? About 20 million so thats not realistic.

Also, still dont understand everyones love for nate davis.
I think we're looking at a Mike Holmgren type move, where he grabbed two vet QB's (Delhomme and Seneca Wallace) and the draft (Colt McCoy).

Then, flush all the QB's down the drain and start over. Perhaps let Nate Davis hang out. Maybe.
Share 49ersWebzone