LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Are the 49ers finally headed in the right direction?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
After beating the hapless Raiders and Broncos, I think we're far from heading in the right direction. We need at least a new QB and possibly new HC. I say possibly, because I still don't think Jed is going to fire Sing at the end of the season, no matter what our record is.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Antix:
Man,,one win against the worst team in the league drives people crazy I guess.

No..we're not headed in the right direction. Until this team gets an identity that actually fits its personnel we'll still be rowing with one paddle.

We'll lose after the bye and get back to reality.

That is usually when we win seems how we usually beat ourselves.
We need to string together at least three wins in a row to say we are doing something right, but with this coach i feel we are ultimately doomed anyway.
I hate to read all his feel-good quotes, becasue none of it seems to translate to better play-calling.
Wow I didn't realize troy smith having a decent game with one lucky throw against the broncos who the raiders scored 59 against solved our QB issues! who HOF TO BE TROY SMITH! I'll take him over brady
Originally posted by ace130:
Wow I didn't realize troy smith having a decent game with one lucky throw against the broncos who the raiders scored 59 against solved our QB issues! who HOF TO BE TROY SMITH! I'll take him over brady

Didn't Oakland murder the Raiders with their run game? Something that Singletary wishes he had.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No. Just false hope.

Need:

~ New owner.
~ New HC
~ New OC.
~ Better QB.
~ New secondary.
~ Consistent pass rush.
~ New RG.
~ Better RT play.
~ Speed at WR finally for the first time in almost a decade.

Then we are headed in the right direction.

Good thing this is madden, and all we have to do is trade our second and third round picks for the #1 pick, then we can trade alex smith for another first rounder, wait about 20 minutes and we'll be rated 99
Re-thinking my previous answer... I'd have to say yes we are headed in the right direction. Well, as long as the right direction is getting rid of Smith and Sing at seasons end.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Re-thinking my previous answer... I'd have to say yes we are headed in the right direction. Well, as long as the right direction is getting rid of Smith and Sing at seasons end.

There's a lot to be said for that but, to my mind, that's more of a tourniquet than a positive change in the team's overall prospects. I certainly do not wish to understate the importance of turning the page on Singletary and (likely) Smith, but that's the easy part of the turn-around process. Unfortunately, I think we'll need to wait until the off season's changes have been put in place before we can answer this question.

Edit: Of course there's a pretty good argument to be made that any Niner's team that doesn't involve Mike Singletary is headed in the right direction. So I guess it comes down to how big a change for the better we're looking for.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Nov 4, 2010 at 8:15 AM ]
As long as the Yorks control the team and prospective coaches and GMs view them as cheap, we are screwed.
Originally posted by RamItOn:
As long as the Yorks control the team and prospective coaches and GMs view them as cheap, we are screwed.

You been asleep for a few years?

Payoff to Nolan etc?

Free agency signing?

Man some of us have battered wife syndrome when it comes to the Niners.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Man some of us have battered wife syndrome when it comes to the Niners.

LMAO. I haven't been in Niner Talk for a while (huge Giants fan), but a lot of these threads in here are f**king hilarious. So much optimism for a 2-6 team.
The current direction under Singletary is don't do too much. Don't try to make plays. Grind it out, and be very careful not to make mistakes. You can't win that way, as we have been witnessing.

No, they are not going in the right direction. Quite frankly, they still look completely directionless IMHO.
Agree w/Susweel...we'll make no more than token progress so long as Singletary's head coach. Last year was the best we'll see from him. In addition to someone like Gruden, we need a top GM, like the good teams have. Time to put an end to this cheap charade of Niner leadership.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by RamItOn:

You been asleep for a few years?

Payoff to Nolan etc?

Free agency signing?

Can you read? I mentioned nothing of free agent signings, only of football operations
guys.

Yeah, we paid to get rid of Nolan, and got...Singletary. Before Nolan, we had Erickson. My memory could be wrong, but I don't believe we were turning away hot coaching prospects during either one of those HC searches.

Meanwhile, we couldn't find a replacement for McCloughan outside of the organization, and promoted an unknown
(not necessarily bad).
Share 49ersWebzone