There are 209 users in the forums

Sense of optimism in the locker room?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by backontop:
Who wouldn't be excited about Troy Smith being the QB. He showed more in 1 game than Alex has all season.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
There was an interesting quote from a player after the game to the effect that "Troy believes in his receivers, his offensive line, and his running backs...."

That definitely sounded like some players were starting to rally behind him. But more interestingly, it sounded more like an indictment of others that haven't beleived in the players -- which could be pointing a finger at Alex Smith, Sing, or even Johnson.

Nice
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Originally posted by HomerJ:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by dj43:
Anytime you win it is a positive, however, let's not forget; this was DENVER. The Broncos are a mess defensively and in the locker room. McDaniel chased away not only Mike Nolan, who had done a very good job with their defense, but also Brandon Marshall and a couple others that he personally didn't like. In Denver they are talking about McDaniel like we talk about Singletary. Lots of dissension there.

The big test will come after the bye. This was a nice win but we should be guarded in our enthusiasm.

True, but we couldn't even beat winless Carolina a week ago. I don't think we as fans can really appreciate how good this win feels to the players...espcially how they found ways to win, as opposed to inventing new ways to lose winnable games.

exactly. When we lose to Carolina, it's a total team failure, and Alex shouldn't get the blame. When we win against Denver, *it was Denver*, so Troy shouldn't get any credit.

LOL, Alexcuses are not only to relieve Alex of any blame for his classic bust performances, but they are also to relieve other QBs of any credit for their great performances. It's funny how this definition evolves and expands as convenience dictates.

i think its funny that the haters are talking about Troy like the "Alexcusers" talk about Alex.

And don't give me the "oh, we never have good QB play because Alex sucks and so when we get even kinda good QB play we have to celebrate like its the super bowl because Alex sucks, he's the suckiest suck that ever sucked, etc." People are over-hyping Troy Smith and they're the same people who accuse everyone else of over-hyping Alex Smith. its the same delusion.

This.

3 points thru 3 quarters and 37 yards in the first half in the air hardly has me doing cartwheels. It was good to see Gore making plays and the defense step up and create turnovers when we needed them.

Overall it was a nice win, but it was Denver and luck was finally on our side for a few of those plays.

At one point, we ran 29 times to 15 passes. Alex hasn't been held down to this extent. He's played terrible even when we pass heavy. The only time Alex has shown anything is has been out of one specific type of formation in terms of where he stands.

Once we passed more with Troy (out of any formation) he did well. Quarter by quarter stats:

4 for 6 with 83 rating
0 for 3 with 39 rating
3 for 4 with 116 rating
5 for 6 with 158 rating

So, he only had one bad quarter where we only called 3 pass plays or he only threw 3 times.

Blaming the playcalling has never been a valid excuse in defending any QBs on this roster.. The fact is, we started the 4th quarter with 3 pts on the board.

True, but a football game is 4 quarters, so I'm not sure what your point is regarding the start of the 4th quarter. The game was close throughout and TSmith made the plays in the 4th quarter to pull out the win, without the benefit of knowing the entire playbook, without his Pro-Bowl TE and without starting a game in the NFL for nearly 3 years.

The kid made enough plays in crunch time to give us only our 2nd win of the season. Nobody is/should be crowning him, but seriously dude....why nitpick/focus on 3 quarters of play and essentially disregard how the game was won in the 4th?

Yes, Troy Smith played VERY solid in the 4th quarter. But the double standards around here are laughable.

I havent said much on the T. Smith subject but i mean im tired of talkin abot A. Smith, just like i've been saying since he's been injured.

T. Smith had a good game in the 4th quarter, just like i say with everyone, we won. And he was the QB behind center, so thats who I will support until, and if it changes. If not then lets go T. Smith till the end of the season.

Either way an A. Smith liker or not, there is no way u cant see the irony in the same standards that we hold A. Smith too we must hold T. Smith too. I remember when we did win last season and it was, well it is "this team". So i mean some cant be mad when we use the same logic with Troy.

That heave into the endzone say what u want was a great play by Walker and had more to do with him than T. Smith making the desperate throw. From the announcers alike exact words were, "that ball shouldnt of been thrown, and was a horrible play". They even commented saying yeah Sing probably went from oh no, to thank God. And thats ok in my book, sometimes luck needs to fall your way for a win. But had Alex made a throw like that of desperation, and it got INT'd then we'd be calling for his head. Wait, he has, a few times, and I saw no one jump like Delanie. It was tipped for an INT, lol.

This really has less to do with A. Smith and more with T. Smith. He showed the same thing that we've seen from many of our QB's over the years in the first half. And on the flip side after 3pts in the first half, half the board would be like bench him. Overall, it is funny at the double standards and anyone can see it.

This is a win, and hell yeah we needed it. He should even start next week, just to see if this game wasnt a fluke. But i mean how many times have people said the first half of the season is over, and the hardest teams have already been dealt with. So if he plays the second half, are people gonna be like ooh s**t, he made a killing. OR do we do what used to be done, oh well i mean he is playing a sorry ass team. And in all actuality, u cant be mad at either response because we've used the same words over the past years no matter who was at QB.

Just too early to drink the coolaid, so lets just see what he can do. We did give Smith years so being that T. Smith won a game, you have to go with that. ONe thing i think will be true tho, if A. Smith is healthy, and doesnt start week 11 then thats it for him IMHO. Would be funny tho if the 49ers played the Smith is still a little soar, so we'll let Troy Start, i could see Sing playing that card.

And a little laugh note. Some guys drinking the Smith coolaid, were the same one's chanting the I want CARR. And look what happened when he got in. Those zoners and fans disappeared, and are now on t. Smith. So im like lets just wait and see, cuz the thing i like about the Alex irony is at least if you like or hate the kid, u pick your side, and stay with it. These flip flopper fans would probably support Flipper, if they put him in, lol.

I would support Flipper if he gets us a win and a 100 QB rating! LOL! In other words most fans are tired of Alex and would welcome any improvement at the position regardless of who it is!

Hahahahahaha, well then welcome new flipper fan, and to help you out, i re highlighted the part that you skipped through, like a lot in here. But like i said make sure u pay attention to the fact that i said in regards to the fans that chanted for Carr. And be careful noob, cuz u said something to me in Sundays game i just didnt respond. Get a few more posts then come back, because maybe u didnt read carefully. Thanks for writing tho.

Noob huh? I guess being a Niner fan since 1977 and born and raised in S.F qualifies me as a "Noob" then so be it. However since I do live in S.F and attend 3-4 games a year it's safe to assume from the pulse of this area that they want to see improvement from the QB position. I quess you're not able to see that from New Jersey?
So it would be in you're best interest to add Alex to the list of QB who couldn't get it done during this 8 year playoff drought.... No thank you for writing!
On my cell phone so.....

Hey JustAFan, well born in 77, ur almost 2 years older than me bra so ur not that old.

But since ur older maybe that Alzheimers is gettin to ya.

Now I love to debate just like the next man.

Noob is a term used for new posters in the zone. So being that u have 4 to 5 posts does qualify you as a noob. So that's for one.

Oh when people and myself included saw T. Smith, I'm eager just like the next man, to see if he can do it next week. Just said I won't drink the coolaid just yet and I had my reasoning why.

For the flipper aspect while it was funny it was directed exactly at those that chanted for the change for carr. Not the fans that just wanted to just see a change. Some been wantin N Davis in for a while now, but no I want Davis or T. Smith chants.

Wanting improvement at Qb we all want, however let's get back to the original reason we are talking. I adressed a lot to those chanting I want carr folks specifically because carr one minute now we win, now Troy is da new guy, if he gets benched then what, everybody now flips to N. Davis.

I can only see you commenting if you were one of the carr chanting fans. If not I even said myself I wanted to see t. Smith again, after the bye.

Wanting to improve bad play from a position is warranted. Jumping at the first glimpse of A new person is a flipflopper, and is a fairweather fan in my opinion, which we are all entitled too.

So adress the Carr aspect of my sentence from earlier then I'd be happy to oblige. But if your gonna write back again, about everything but then please don't write back. And no offense but the reason I also said maybe an old poster with a new name becuz I've seen it happen tons of times where u ask a question and they write a story without even answering.

So if I say I'm talking about toyota's and ask u about it and u tell me ur answer then say well that's my experience wit ford. U never really answered me right?
On my cell phone so.....

Hey JustAFan, well born in 77, ur almost 2 years older than me bra so ur not that old.

But since ur older maybe that Alzheimers is gettin to ya.

Now I love to debate just like the next man.

Noob is a term used for new posters in the zone. So being that u have 4 to 5 posts does qualify you as a noob. So that's for one.

Oh when people and myself included saw T. Smith, I'm eager just like the next man, to see if he can do it next week. Just said I won't drink the coolaid just yet and I had my reasoning why.

For the flipper aspect while it was funny it was directed exactly at those that chanted for the change for carr. Not the fans that just wanted to just see a change. Some been wantin N Davis in for a while now, but no I want Davis or T. Smith chants.

Wanting improvement at Qb we all want, however let's get back to the original reason we are talking. I adressed a lot to those chanting I want carr folks specifically because carr one minute now we win, now Troy is da new guy, if he gets benched then what, everybody now flips to N. Davis.

I can only see you commenting if you were one of the carr chanting fans. If not I even said myself I wanted to see t. Smith again, after the bye.

Wanting to improve bad play from a position is warranted. Jumping at the first glimpse of A new person is a flipflopper, and is a fairweather fan in my opinion, which we are all entitled too.

So adress the Carr aspect of my sentence from earlier then I'd be happy to oblige. But if your gonna write back again, about everything but then please don't write back. And no offense but the reason I also said maybe an old poster with a new name becuz I've seen it happen tons of times where u ask a question and they write a story without even answering.

So if I say I'm talking about toyota's and ask u about it and u tell me ur answer then say well that's my experience wit ford. U never really answered me right?

I don't think I understand your question but all I'm saying is I will go with the QB that gives us the best chance and IMO that's Troy.
Also I said I've been a fan since 77. I'm 43 years old. Anyways I got to hit the streets and celebrate the GIANT'S WIN!!!!......... PEACE!
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by excelsior:
Troy did not play that well. Good fortune smiled on him yesterday. He was lucky he was not intercepted on the high risk pass to Walker, and he got a lucky bounce on his fumble (yes, he did fumble). The defense played well yesterday, which really helped him.

Am I saying he won't be good, Not at all. I am contending that his future success is still up in the air. "Let's try him out," some of you say. "What do we have to lose?" I thought you wanted to win the division this year. Or would you rather use this year to "experiment?" Go ahead and experiment, but I don't want to hear you crying if he begins to lose games because of high risk passes that backfire.

The Alex haters explained that they wanted to move on from Alex because they were convinced he was not an "elite top 5 or 10 QB."

But they seem excited about using Troy. Does that mean they have decided he has the potential to be a top 5 or 10? What are the chances of that? These guys do not come along that easily. The chances are that Troy may only end up average, at best. So you have changed your standards?

Some of Troy Smith's "good luck" appears to have been generated by his own play.

I'm not on the record anywhere as an "Alex hater." I have deliberately stayed out of those discussions, for the most part.

But I'm convinced that the team should move on from him because he's 1 and 6 this year, after Singletary did everything he could to make it possible for Alex to succeed. Named him his No. 1 QB; got rid of his competition--Shaun Hill; drafted not one but two first rounders to help solidify the OL and reduce the number of sacks; traded for a speedy deep threat; canned Jimmy Raye when Alex complained about not getting the plays in quickly enough; etc., etc.

And Alex went 1 and 6.

1 and freaking 6!!!!

They're not gonna win the NFC West if they go 2-6 again. Or 1-7 in the second half.

At the end of the day, all that really matters are wins and losses.

Its the NFL, "not for long" if you don't W I N.

Actually he went 1-5 and would have been 2-5 had he not gotten hurt in the panther game. Also If Clements just falls down he would have been 3-4. With that being said, I think we have to go with Troy Smith simply because he looked better and he has ability that none of our other quarterbacks have. He utilizes the pump fake and can make defenders miss with his shiftiness, which allows our receivers to have a better chance of getting open down the field and saves our offensive linemens asses. What I like about him the most is his leadership ability and the confidence that he demonstrates in interviews and on the field. The mental part of the game is very important and he is no doubt leagues ahead of Alex Smith in that department. Of course it was only one game against the Broncos, but I'm just saying that you have to see what he has for the next game and thus he should be our starter next week. I always rooted for Alex and hoped that he would succeed, but his inconsistency has been very frustrating for us niner fans. As Herman Edwards says, "you play to win the game", and looking at things right now it appears that Troy Smith probably gives us the best chance to win and so I think we have to go with him.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by dj43:
Anytime you win it is a positive, however, let's not forget; this was DENVER. The Broncos are a mess defensively and in the locker room. McDaniel chased away not only Mike Nolan, who had done a very good job with their defense, but also Brandon Marshall and a couple others that he personally didn't like. In Denver they are talking about McDaniel like we talk about Singletary. Lots of dissension there.

The big test will come after the bye. This was a nice win but we should be guarded in our enthusiasm.

True, but we couldn't even beat winless Carolina a week ago. I don't think we as fans can really appreciate how good this win feels to the players...espcially how they found ways to win, as opposed to inventing new ways to lose winnable games.

exactly. When we lose to Carolina, it's a total team failure, and Alex shouldn't get the blame. When we win against Denver, *it was Denver*, so Troy shouldn't get any credit.

LOL, Alexcuses are not only to relieve Alex of any blame for his classic bust performances, but they are also to relieve other QBs of any credit for their great performances. It's funny how this definition evolves and expands as convenience dictates.

i think its funny that the haters are talking about Troy like the "Alexcusers" talk about Alex.

And don't give me the "oh, we never have good QB play because Alex sucks and so when we get even kinda good QB play we have to celebrate like its the super bowl because Alex sucks, he's the suckiest suck that ever sucked, etc." People are over-hyping Troy Smith and they're the same people who accuse everyone else of over-hyping Alex Smith. its the same delusion.

This.

3 points thru 3 quarters and 37 yards in the first half in the air hardly has me doing cartwheels. It was good to see Gore making plays and the defense step up and create turnovers when we needed them.

Overall it was a nice win, but it was Denver and luck was finally on our side for a few of those plays.

At one point, we ran 29 times to 15 passes. Alex hasn't been held down to this extent. He's played terrible even when we pass heavy. The only time Alex has shown anything is has been out of one specific type of formation in terms of where he stands.

Once we passed more with Troy (out of any formation) he did well. Quarter by quarter stats:

4 for 6 with 83 rating
0 for 3 with 39 rating
3 for 4 with 116 rating
5 for 6 with 158 rating

So, he only had one bad quarter where we only called 3 pass plays or he only threw 3 times.

I still don't understand all this talk about having only one good quarter. You guys are reading Smiths quarter breakdowns?
Troy Smith = Willie Beamen......

Originally posted by excelsior:
Some of you suggest that Alex does not want to win as much as Troy. This is insane. Alex's loyalty and work ethic with this team is unquestioned.

For a long time Alex was known for carefulness with the ball. But he started to press in trying to overcome the poor play of others. He began trying to be someone he wasn't and he paid the price. Teams can win with carefulness. Most games are won by not giving it away.

Look, this team was always shooting itself in the foot. We lead the league in penalties. We lead the league in pressure on the QB. We lead the league in hits on the QB. Yet, Alex was the highest rated QB in the league in the redzone. That counts for something. Look at all the times that our team led going into the final minutes of the game, and our defense failed us.

this u forgot to type in "HE ROLLS TO THE RIGHT AND THROWS IT OUT OF BOUNDS... THEN HE MAKES THAT STUPID FACE EXPRESSION...

Alex is our safest bet going forward. But it is time for many other players to do their job.
Well one thing i did find strange, and it was with VD as well.

I dont remember which article, but it said something about when T.Smith was adressing the team after the win, that not just Alex, but VD stood in the back as well, and had more of a dont care look on his face with no smile, and didnt join in the huddle.

Anything to really get concerned about, no i dont think soo, but I would like if anyone has got any quotes on how the O feels. I mean we heard T. Spikes say some things, but not really anyone on the O. I mean i swore that by now, Crabs, Morgan, Gore, VD, or someone on the starting O, besides D. Walker, say anything about the offense or the QB change.

I dont remember which article, but it said something about when T.Smith was adressing the team after the win, that not just Alex, but VD stood in the back as well, and had more of a dont care look on his face with no smile, and didnt join in the huddle.

Anything to really get concerned about, no i dont think soo, but I would like if anyone has got any quotes on how the O feels. I mean we heard T. Spikes say some things, but not really anyone on the O. I mean i swore that by now, Crabs, Morgan, Gore, VD, or someone on the starting O, besides D. Walker, say anything about the offense or the QB change.

I think they are still on the fence if Troy fails Alex bandwagon starts, Troy shines again... then, well you know
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I think they are still on the fence if Troy fails Alex bandwagon starts, Troy shines again... then, well you know

I think Crabs is all for Troy. do you think he would celebrate with smith like that? I'm just judging body language, i could be wrong.

Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:

I think Crabs is all for Troy. do you think he would celebrate with smith like that? I'm just judging body language, i could be wrong.

Chest bumping!!!!!!!!!!! Leadership!!!!!!1
Originally posted by binary2nd:

I noted that after the game also. That celebration, I thought was something special. They both were so excited about it. It was great to see.

Teammate approval: Delanie, check. Crabtree, check. Takeo, check. Gore, check. The only one who hasn't really said anything was VD, who is also a big Alex supporter.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by binary2nd:

I noted that after the game also. That celebration, I thought was something special.

I was joking.
Share 49ersWebzone