LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 439 users in the forums

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

I was thinking B-... good post, MD49er, btw.

Anyone giving him an A is a bit too much on the wagon for OTHER reasons.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
A

One week of practice, and he has the best QB performance of the year. Definitely cannot ask more than that.

Damn Skippy. Dude has been sitting gathering rust for most of the season. He hasn't been getting any reps.

Then -- with one week of practice -- Troy Boy steps up and makes plays with his arm and legs.

Can't believe you haters who graded him out a B performance.

This was Grade A Beef all the way through.

What is this A relative to? Did you gave him an A based on the fact he possibly played to his highest potential? I do know for sure you didn't give him an A based on how well he played in comparison to the other QBs that played today.

Curious what would you give Kyle Orton for the day?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Grade C - He did 3-4 good things, and that's about it. Luckily we were playin' the Broncos
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
A

Playcalling - F

This.

How can you grade a quarterback when they don't let him throw the ball?! f**king pathetic.

This shows you that it doesn't matter who the QB is, play calling will always be so conservative it just makes you cringe. I understand they wanted to protect him but YOU STILL HAVE A GAME TO WIN!!! The drive that started on the 15 or 20 was obviously too close to Denver's end zone to allow Smith one passing down.
Overall a B.

On the bright side?

- Good at avoiding the rush and feeling the pressure.
- Has good velocity on his throws.
- Not afraid to gamble.

On the downer?

- His biggest play was a hail mary that should have been intercepted.
- His second biggest play was a blown coverage, and the ball still wasn't exactly thrown in stride to Crabtree.

There is some promise here, but Alex is still the starter.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I was thinking B-... good post, MD49er, btw.

Anyone giving him an A is a bit too much on the wagon for OTHER reasons.

Sorry, but I didn't give him an A for being on the wagon or "other things." I gave it to him based on the situation he was in. For a third stringer, and who had to play in London of all places, I think he played mighty fine. Have I seen far better performances? Hell, yes. With that said, Troy stepped up, and so I say he deserves an A.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Everyone knows how much I admire Troy Smith (I stated in the pregame that I thought he would play well), but let's get real here. He made about 4-5 very good throws today, got a lot of good luck (Walker play, blown coverage on Crabtree), but made some erratic throws as well. He's a work in progress.

This is still Alex Smith's team, and he still is the better QB of the two. He just needs to ignore Singletary and just play the game. I'm hoping the time off will help him psychologically become a better QB.

I think people tend to forget that he was playing pretty well against the Panthers before he went down, and Troy was playing against a team that just gave up 549 points seven days ago.

I have nothing to add. Good post.

Playing Good against the panthers? He had one good throw, otherwise i believe he was 8-18 60 yds. You know the usual.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
With one week to prepare, new OC, new playbook, new teammates and only three game experience, shoooot I gotta give him a A. Lets also add that Vernon Davis was out for most of the game.

Oh one more thing, no turnovers.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
one lucky throw, some good moves with his feet, no mistakes. B

The one to Crabtree didn't look like luck and sure looked alot better than the underthrown ducks Carr was throwing up. He did more than anyone couldve asked him to under the circumstances and with one week of practice! A+!
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
A

Playcalling - F

This.

How can you grade a quarterback when they don't let him throw the ball?! f**king pathetic.

This shows you that it doesn't matter who the QB is, play calling will always be so conservative it just makes you cringe. I understand they wanted to protect him but YOU STILL HAVE A GAME TO WIN!!! The drive that started on the 15 or 20 was obviously too close to Denver's end zone to allow Smith one passing down.

Or how about a quick slant (which Troy seemed to throw pretty well) on 1st down when we had the ball with a little over 2 minutes in the 4th quarter? Get a chunk of yards and make the at least THINK for a SECOND about the pass. But no, we give Anthony Dixon up the gut 3 times in a row. What a pathetic, pathetic offensive philosophy. And if we're going to run the ball out of shotgun for 1 yard -- we're NOT tricking anyone because they know it's coming -- just line the f**k up and run the ball.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Everyone knows how much I admire Troy Smith (I stated in the pregame that I thought he would play well), but let's get real here. He made about 4-5 very good throws today, got a lot of good luck (Walker play, blown coverage on Crabtree), but made some erratic throws as well. He's a work in progress.

This is still Alex Smith's team, and he still is the better QB of the two. He just needs to ignore Singletary and just play the game. I'm hoping the time off will help him psychologically become a better QB.

I think people tend to forget that he was playing pretty well against the Panthers before he went down, and Troy was playing against a team that just gave up 549 points seven days ago.
Originally posted by NickV:
He would have had a A+ had the coaching staff not tied him down in the first half.

Dude has wicked fast release[eek] The throw up to Walker was 110% luck and could have f**ked us over. But we needed a break, dammit lol

Solid B.

The O-line looked fantastic (by our standards) today. I wonder how much of that can be chalked up to Troy's fleet footedness, awareness, and quick release, or is Denver really that bad?

I actually find it hard to believe that Denver's D-line is so bad that they make our O-line look good. You've gotta be pretty damned awful to pull that off.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by NickV:
He would have had a A+ had the coaching staff not tied him down in the first half.

Dude has wicked fast release[eek] The throw up to Walker was 110% luck and could have f**ked us over. But we needed a break, dammit lol

Solid B.

The O-line looked fantastic (by our standards) today. I wonder how much of that can be chalked up to Troy's fleet footedness, awareness, and quick release, or is Denver really that bad?

I actually find it hard to believe that Denver's D-line is so bad that they make our O-line look good. You've gotta be pretty damned awful to pull that off.

remember, the Raiders threw up a 59 on them.
does anybody else not see that when A. Smith has had almost identical games to this the same people who are giving T. Smith an A+ give Smith a D- ? Doesn't that seem a little bit inconsistent?

The last time I checked the question wasn't "Grade T. Smith juxtaposing hi performance with How you feel about A. Smith, no matter how irrational that hate has been". It is like ten thousand 12 year old's have taken over NT...

Anyway, I will give T. Smith a B for the game. He didn't do much, and had some luck, but he made a few big plays and had to fight against pitiful situational play-calling for much of the game. Also Vernon went down and he still came through so that was nice. I liked his command in the pocket, and his ability to move around. I didn't like his decision making all the time. He needs to be more careful against better defensive squads ecause he got lucky a few times out there.

See it isn't that hard to be unbiased. I want to make sure everyone notices how much the supposedly "biased, myopic etc" Alex fans are being fair with T. Smith. Can't say that for the haters who STILL talk about him even when he wasn't in the game, and incorporate him in their grading systems. Stay Classy Ninertalk.
I give the guy an A-.

One week of prep for a 3rd stringer is pretty good, he is mobile, has a strong arm and reads the routes quickly. Give him 2 weeks of prep and think he is a nice addition and go from there.

He threw more down field the a smith and has the feet to avoid quicks sacks.

WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE AT THIS POINT.

JOHNNYL
Share 49ersWebzone