LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

What if Alex Smith was drafted by Andy Reid?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
He would have been cut by year 3.

Yep. He lacks many things a QB needs to succeed. Accuracy is the most visible, but there are plenty other areas he struggles with and many of them can't really be coached. He doesn't properly scan the field or diagnose the defense, he stairs down receivers too often and gets flustered with the slightest hint of pressure. I can continue, but I've gone through this before.

No other team in the league would have continued the Alex Smith experiment.

And to be honest, Andy Reid probably would have chosen Aaron Rodgers.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Oct 29, 2010 at 4:45 PM ]
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Not saying Alex was great, but nobody is as hard on him as 9ers "fans."

And nobody was as hard on Ryan Leaf as Chargers fans. Why would they be? Nobody else cares about Alex Smith because he's not affecting their teams.

I guarantee the other 3 teams in our division love Alex Smith.

But if you think Niner fans are the only ones who think Alex Smith sucks, you must not talk to anybody else. All I've been hearing since we drafted him is how much he sucks and how we'll never succeed with him. I hate to say it, but they were all right. You don't hear commentators or analysts laying the blame on Alex Smith because they hear the same lame excuses that his fans give and they buy into it, but they don't exactly stick up for him, either.

I do agree the coaching is more to blame than Alex Smith for this year's ineptitude, but that doesn't mean Alex Smith is off the hook. He's not a good QB, that much is obvious to anyone who isn't drinking the kool-aid. We do have other areas of need, but no single position is as important as the QB.

Peyton Manning was able to win during many seasons with a defense worse than ours. You can try to say he had all the weapons to make that happen, but look at what he does with random guys like Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie. It makes you wonder whether his options are really that good or if he MAKES THEM that good. I'm thinking it's the latter.

Bottom line: a GOOD QB can make the whole team better. A good QB can sustain drives and keep his sh*tty defense off the field. You can whine about the O-Line, but our O-Line has given Alex Smith many opportunities to make something big happen, but it just never does. Then, you look at guys like Aaron Rodgers, who had absolutely no protection last year, and they make things happen even with a crappy O-Line. The guy put himself into an elite category while running for his life. Alex runs for his life and does nothing. A good QB can out-gun the other team and put more points on the board than they can, even with a crappy defense giving up more points than they should. A good QB pumps fear of the pass into a defense's heart, which in turn would open up the run game. Can you imagine how good Frank Gore or Anthony Dixon can be in the run game when a defense is looking for the pass?

WE NEED A GOOD QB MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
OF COURSE he could have been a better QB. The same thing could be said for 80% of the QBs in the league and re: Reid's tutelage.

A pro-bowler? no way anybody could know that. I don't think so but maybe?

fwiw I think that all things being equal he's (or at one point could have been) a more skilled QB than Kevin Kolb.

One thing worth noting is that 9ers fans are the only people with even a passing interest in football who blamed Alex Smith for our offensive problems this year. Everyone from our coaches, to our other offensive players, to a ream of commentators saw less problems in Smith than in other things effecting the offense (getting plays in on time the first two games, crabs being responsibly for 4 ints, two rookie o-lineman playing like rookie o-lineman, teams calling out our plays before we ran them until Raye was fired, etc).

You are wrong. Go watch any 49er pregame show, and most commentators start from Alex Smith, then work their way to the team's other problems. Even before the season began, they had a Sunday night preseason game between Minn-SF, and both Al Michaels and Chris Collingsworth acknowledged that the team had a lot of potential to make noise in the NFC, but that would depend on the play of Alex Smith. They did the same during the Phil-SF game, where Collingsworth poibted out NUMEROUS occasions where Smith failed to make a play.

If anything, Niner fans have been more lenient with Smith than anyone else. Remember the pregame show on MNF before the NO-SF matchup ? Berman, Carter, Keyshawn, and Tom Jackson were laughing when discussing Alex Smith. How can you still be wondering after 6 years whether or not your QB is the future of the franchise (was the gist of their conversation) ?

You're leaving out the time that Collinsworth said that if the 49ers cut smith there would be 31 teams racing to sign him, and Michaels immediately agreed.

As a backup, sure. He'd make a pretty decent backup, but there are still teams with better 2nd-string QBs than Alex Smith, so I highly doubt 31 other teams would be lining up to sign him.
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
The reason of this thread is not to discuss Alex's flaws. We already all know them and discussed the hell out of them over the years. I brought this up because I don't think there is any other coach in this league that could have made gold out of Kolb. I think Kolb is pretty average and he is only succeeding because of Reid's system and tutilage. I would bet anything if the Eagles let Kolb go and keep Vick, he will not succeed anywhere else. He is like another Matt Cassell to me. The Chiefs have had Cassell for 3 years now and he still isn't doing that great. The Chiefs are winning, but it's not because of him. I personally think Reid could have made Alex a great QB if he could make a guy like Kolb a good one.

Bellicheat >>>> Reid at making QBs.
McNabb would still be an eagle is Smith was #2
Originally posted by binary2nd:
The reason of this thread is not to discuss Alex's flaws. We already all know them and discussed the hell out of them over the years. I brought this up because I don't think there is any other coach in this league that could have made gold out of Kolb. I think Kolb is pretty average and he is only succeeding because of Reid's system and tutilage. I would bet anything if the Eagles let Kolb go and keep Vick, he will not succeed anywhere else. He is like another Matt Cassell to me. The Chiefs have had Cassell for 3 years now and he still isn't doing that great. The Chiefs are winning, but it's not because of him. I personally think Reid could have made Alex a great QB if he could make a guy like Kolb a good one.

Agreed. Not sure about great (really, who knows) but anyone saying he wouldn't have made Smith better (or even just the consistency alone wouldn't have made Smith better) is too blinded by their hatred of Smith to even be slightly reasonable about how modest the proposition is, imo.

How can Andy Ried fix his accuracy problems ??

Alex is more accurate than McChoke, and 'Choke did fine with Reid.

You need to pay more attention when watching games.
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by fly15:

Agreed. Not sure about great (really, who knows) but anyone saying he wouldn't have made Smith better (or even just the consistency alone wouldn't have made Smith better) is too blinded by their hatred of Smith to even be slightly reasonable about how modest the proposition is, imo.

I rather have McChoke (cause of playoff resume) than Captain Choke
It is very interesting to note that McNabb, now out of Reid's system, has an identical rating to Smith's. That should say a lot about Reid and his impact on the play of the QB.

He's in a completely different system for the first time in his career. He deserves a break.

No way, man. Those types of excuses are reserved for Alex.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Thats your opinion and thats wrong.

If you bothered to check the stats, you would see that Smith is completing a higher percentage of his passes. Thanks for your opinion though.

And if you watch the games, you'd know that Smith has been dumping off to Frank Gore all year long. If you can throw the football to a RB standing 20 feet away from you, YOU can do what Alex does.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Thats your opinion and thats wrong.

If you bothered to check the stats, you would see that Smith is completing a higher percentage of his passes. Thanks for your opinion though.

And if you watch the games, you'd know that Smith has been dumping off to Frank Gore all year long. If you can throw the football to a RB standing 20 feet away from you, YOU can do what Alex does.

Yep, funny how Smith supporters fail to mention the yards per pass and QB rating. I guess it looks better to slim down the stats to your liking. Kind of how they were raving about Smith's play as compared to Aaron Rodgers.........against Minnesota......in the 3rd quarter.........between the 5:00 and 10:00 mark.

Yep, Smith's got it all............
He would be out of the league by now.

• dj43
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
OF COURSE he could have been a better QB. The same thing could be said for 80% of the QBs in the league and re: Reid's tutelage.

A pro-bowler? no way anybody could know that. I don't think so but maybe?

fwiw I think that all things being equal he's (or at one point could have been) a more skilled QB than Kevin Kolb.

One thing worth noting is that 9ers fans are the only people with even a passing interest in football who blamed Alex Smith for our offensive problems this year. Everyone from our coaches, to our other offensive players, to a ream of commentators saw less problems in Smith than in other things effecting the offense (getting plays in on time the first two games, crabs being responsibly for 4 ints, two rookie o-lineman playing like rookie o-lineman, teams calling out our plays before we ran them until Raye was fired, etc).

You are wrong. Go watch any 49er pregame show, and most commentators start from Alex Smith, then work their way to the team's other problems. Even before the season began, they had a Sunday night preseason game between Minn-SF, and both Al Michaels and Chris Collingsworth acknowledged that the team had a lot of potential to make noise in the NFC, but that would depend on the play of Alex Smith. They did the same during the Phil-SF game, where Collingsworth poibted out NUMEROUS occasions where Smith failed to make a play.

If anything, Niner fans have been more lenient with Smith than anyone else. Remember the pregame show on MNF before the NO-SF matchup ? Berman, Carter, Keyshawn, and Tom Jackson were laughing when discussing Alex Smith. How can you still be wondering after 6 years whether or not your QB is the future of the franchise (was the gist of their conversation) ?

You're leaving out the time that Collinsworth said that if the 49ers cut smith there would be 31 teams racing to sign him, and Michaels immediately agreed.

As a backup, sure. He'd make a pretty decent backup, but there are still teams with better 2nd-string QBs than Alex Smith, so I highly doubt 31 other teams would be lining up to sign him.
So I can better understand your perspective, would you please cite the teams that have #2 QBs that are better than Smith. I would like to read your analysis that leads you to that conclusion.
He would have been cut by year 3.
If a player isn't any good. He isn't any good period. Alex could of had Bill Walsh as a HC, and he still would of sucked, cuz in short he sucks. Jeez. What kinda of question is that? My word.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
If a player isn't any good. He isn't any good period. Alex could of had Bill Walsh as a HC, and he still would of sucked, cuz in short he sucks. Jeez. What kinda of question is that? My word.

Rich Gannon
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:

Rich Gannon

Yes, most ignorant thing to be witnessed on a MB... Such utterance can only be face-palmed.
Share 49ersWebzone