LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 336 users in the forums

What if Alex Smith was drafted by Andy Reid?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
The reason of this thread is not to discuss Alex's flaws. We already all know them and discussed the hell out of them over the years. I brought this up because I don't think there is any other coach in this league that could have made gold out of Kolb. I think Kolb is pretty average and he is only succeeding because of Reid's system and tutilage. I would bet anything if the Eagles let Kolb go and keep Vick, he will not succeed anywhere else. He is like another Matt Cassell to me. The Chiefs have had Cassell for 3 years now and he still isn't doing that great. The Chiefs are winning, but it's not because of him. I personally think Reid could have made Alex a great QB if he could make a guy like Kolb a good one.

Agreed. Not sure about great (really, who knows) but anyone saying he wouldn't have made Smith better (or even just the consistency alone wouldn't have made Smith better) is too blinded by their hatred of Smith to even be slightly reasonable about how modest the proposition is, imo.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
The reason of this thread is not to discuss Alex's flaws. We already all know them and discussed the hell out of them over the years. I brought this up because I don't think there is any other coach in this league that could have made gold out of Kolb. I think Kolb is pretty average and he is only succeeding because of Reid's system and tutilage. I would bet anything if the Eagles let Kolb go and keep Vick, he will not succeed anywhere else. He is like another Matt Cassell to me. The Chiefs have had Cassell for 3 years now and he still isn't doing that great. The Chiefs are winning, but it's not because of him. I personally think Reid could have made Alex a great QB if he could make a guy like Kolb a good one.

Agreed. Not sure about great (really, who knows) but anyone saying he wouldn't have made Smith better (or even just the consistency alone wouldn't have made Smith better) is too blinded by their hatred of Smith to even be slightly reasonable about how modest the proposition is, imo.

How can Andy Ried fix his accuracy problems ??
OF COURSE he could have been a better QB. The same thing could be said for 80% of the QBs in the league and re: Reid's tutelage.

A pro-bowler? no way anybody could know that. I don't think so but maybe?

fwiw I think that all things being equal he's (or at one point could have been) a more skilled QB than Kevin Kolb.

One thing worth noting is that 9ers fans are the only people with even a passing interest in football who blamed Alex Smith for our offensive problems this year. Everyone from our coaches, to our other offensive players, to a ream of commentators saw less problems in Smith than in other things effecting the offense (getting plays in on time the first two games, crabs being responsibly for 4 ints, two rookie o-lineman playing like rookie o-lineman, teams calling out our plays before we ran them until Raye was fired, etc).

Not saying Alex was great, but nobody is as hard on him as 9ers "fans."

9er fans are easy. Smith would have curled up into a fetal position after one start in front of Philly fans.
Originally posted by susweel:

Alex is more accurate than McChoke, and 'Choke did fine with Reid.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by binary2nd:

yep.
He'd be an Eagle
When Bill Walsh was asked about Alex Smith one time on radio, he started his sentence with "Well ..." if anyone remember Walsh, whenever he started a sentence like that is was BAD NEWS.

I knew as soon as I heard that, he was saying "I wouldn't have drafted him."

Nuff said. Alex is too inconsistent to be a franchise QB. Pro QB, sure. But not a Super Bowl QB, forget it. With or without an Andy Reid.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
He'd be an Eagle
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
He would be in the top 5 in QB rating, touch downs etc.

UFL or Arena football, yes

You never miss a chance, do you?

they asked....
  • fly15
  • Veteran

I rather have McChoke (cause of playoff resume) than Captain Choke

• boast
  • Hella Fame

great resume.

choked in 4 NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl. all basically on McChoke, too.

McChoke right now is playing worse than Alex, with one of the best Offensive minds in the last two decades.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:

great resume.

choked in 4 NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl. all basically on McChoke, too.

at least he say he was there, what can alex say?? Ohh, I know: The OL, WR's, different OC, HC, bad weather, I was a captain, I took a paycut, etc, etc.
  • dj43

It is very interesting to note that McNabb, now out of Reid's system, has an identical rating to Smith's. That should say a lot about Reid and his impact on the play of the QB.

Now THAT'S circular reasoning....
Share 49ersWebzone