LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

What if Alex Smith was drafted by Andy Reid?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Do you think he would have been a better QB? Do you think a coach like Reid could have brought the best out of him and make him a pro bowler?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Alex would have been fatter than Jamarcus.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He would have been cut by year 3.
Andy Reid would have eaten him
no way to know, obviously, but that would have been a clearly better situation so one can only imagine that Smith would have performed better and more consistently when given a chance in a real, stable offensive system.
  • ZRF80
Not even close.

Alex's biggest flaw is his inconsistency. This is not something we have seen only this year. This has been the focal point of his career, despite playing in numerous systems. And although a lot may come out and say that the systems themselves were the problem and/or the fact that Alex never had any continuity in any of them, that theory was debunked this season when.......despite having the SAME OC, the SAME playbook, and SAME player personnel.......Alex continued to be inconsistent.

Andy Reid would not have changed that.
[ Edited by ZRF80 on Oct 29, 2010 at 11:27 AM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Andy Reid would have eaten him
Originally posted by HessianDud:
no way to know, obviously, but that would have been a clearly better situation so one can only imagine that Smith would have performed better and more consistently when given a chance in a real, stable offensive system.

This.
OF COURSE he could have been a better QB. The same thing could be said for 80% of the QBs in the league and re: Reid's tutelage.

A pro-bowler? no way anybody could know that. I don't think so but maybe?

fwiw I think that all things being equal he's (or at one point could have been) a more skilled QB than Kevin Kolb.

One thing worth noting is that 9ers fans are the only people with even a passing interest in football who blamed Alex Smith for our offensive problems this year. Everyone from our coaches, to our other offensive players, to a ream of commentators saw less problems in Smith than in other things effecting the offense (getting plays in on time the first two games, crabs being responsibly for 4 ints, two rookie o-lineman playing like rookie o-lineman, teams calling out our plays before we ran them until Raye was fired, etc).

Not saying Alex was great, but nobody is as hard on him as 9ers "fans."
How about, if Alex was drafted by the Browns or what if Alex was drafted by the Rams?

Originally posted by ZRF80:
Not even close.

Alex's biggest flaw is his inconsistency. This is not something we have seen only this year. This has been the focal point of his career, despite playing in numerous systems. And although a lot may come out and say that the systems themselves were the problem and/or the fact that Alex never had any continuity in any of them, that theory was debunked this season when.......despite having the SAME OC, the SAME playbook, and SAME player personnel.......Alex continued to be inconsistent.

Andy Reid would not have changed that.

could be a niner talk first, but i think we have a point that an alex "lover" and an alex "hater" can agree upon...alex's biggest flaw is his inconsistency...i think better coaching could make him more consistent...

it is like bill walsh's drafting philosphy--he used to ask the scouts to que up film of a prospects 5 best and 5 worst plays...if he was intrigued by the 5 best, he would consider the propspect, trusting that he and his staff could coach the better plays out of the player

and btw smith probably wouldnt have been a great fit for reid, as the WCO is not the offense for Alex
We know this much. Andy wouldn't have said no competition is the best thing for you Alex.
He would be in the top 5 in QB rating, touch downs etc.
He would not have started immediately on a horrible team and ruined. The 9ers ruined Alex. That team would have ruined Rogers. We sucked then....well I guess we still do.
Originally posted by susweel:
He would have been cut by year 3.

Troll feeding again I see .
Share 49ersWebzone