Post Game Analysis (vs. St. Louis Rams)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
We barely beat a bad team at home.

Is that considered post game analysis.

Bad team was leading the division.

Bad team that hasn't won on the road this season if I remember right.

We had 2 weeks to get ready and rest up players.

And if their TE catchs that ball on their last drive in regulation, they win and we lose and its another heart breaker for us. That was lucky for us pure and simple but maybe its our turn to start getting the breaks cause until now we havn't had one.

and IF my aunt had a pair of nuts she would be my uncle
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I saw some good and bad--what a game--Go Niners !

the good:
Troy Smith can play---he has a lot of heart and is very good at the deeper throws.
strong arm---accuracy better than A Smith.

the playmakers made plays on offense--this offense can be good.

the offensive play calling was much better--other than about 3 times we did the run up the middle on both first and second down and then punted. That wasn't good.

Gore on outside runs or misdirections--good--Gore on inside runs--bad.

we won !

the bad:

the penalties----especially the o line--A Davis was killing us out there.
3 TD's called back. never seen that before.

the play clock always getting down to :04 and :03 as they get to the line--Troy is just in his second game so that should improve.

Ted Ginn---mr fair catch on punts--sometimes you need a spark there.

the timeouts wasted. It could have cost us--luckily it didn't.

the offsides penalties on defense----like that TV ad---Really?

The inability to force turnovers on defense

The rest of this season:

It will depend on how the O line shapes up --I can't say--it doesn't look real good--but who knows.

Add to the bad 0 for like a 1000 on third downs. Unacceptable.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Kudos to Troy Smith.

I see an interesting pattern here:

In '08
JTO in game 1 - 80.2
2 - 106.4
3 - 123.3
4 - 59.6
5 - 55.9
6 - 49.2
7 - 69.9
8 - 59.8 At which time JTO was benched for Hill

Hill in game 8 - 102.2
9 - 60.1
10 - 142.3
11 - 100.9
12 - 96.5

Jumping ahead to '09
Hill in game 1 - 89.3
2 - 86.1
3 - 94.6
4 - 104.9
5 - 45.7
6 - 64.6 At which point Hill was benched in favor of A. Smith

A. Smith in game 6 - 118.6

See the pattern? You bring in the new QB and he plays like a Pro-Bowler for awhile, and then reality arrives. We'll just have to see if this pattern continues.

You make a great point. We just gotta see if Troy and Mike Johnson can keep defenses on their toes. No one should be locking Troy in as our starter just yet... but you have to ride out the hot hand and see where it takes you.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Add to the bad 0 for like a 1000 on third downs. Unacceptable.

I quickly went through yesterday's drive charts and we converted only two of eleven 3rd or 4th downs--we converted a third 3rd down on the pass interference call. You're right, that's bad. Very, very bad.

A more optimistic statistic is this. We made first downs on fifteen 1st and 2nd downs during yesterday's game. By comparison, we attempted only ten 3rd downs. In other words, we were extremely productive on 1st and 2nd downs and generally moved the ball well, or quickly stalled out (often due to a penalty).

While that 3rd down conversion rate needs to improve, it's not quite as damning a stat as it appears at first blush. Moreover, it likely says more about our tendency to garner penalties than our ability to move the ball effectively (as we did on 1st and 2nd downs).

If we can fix the penalty problem, the 3rd down conversion rate problem likely goes away.
How about that grab VD made?? f**king sweet!!! FU Anthony Davis.

Got Hops??
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I read an article that said Joe Nedney hurt his leg at the beginning of the game, but stuck it out and still got us all those FG's. Anyone know the severity? Was it just a tweak or did he do something significant to it?
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by craigyboy:
i originally looked at him like a poor mans mvick...but i like the fact he doesn't immediately get happy feet and break the play. instead he feels the pressure then steps up. i wanna see this kid succeed in the worst way.

just wondering whats your opinion on how dc's of our remaining opponents would gameplan against tsmith. even though he held long at times, he seems to be decisive enough with a quick release so constant blitzes as on a typical rookie wouldn't be ideal. we're also now pretty convinced he does have a deep accurate ball so do you go prevent forcing him to take the underneaths?

They'll force him to be a pocket passer. He's short and has always had trouble making multiple reads. The playcalling will be key, if they can keep the D off-guard he'll be great, he's so good at executing big plays if he gets a bit of room.

And how exactly would you know this considering he has started 2 games in the NFL??
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Got Hops??

That was a badass catch. Crabtrees TD that got called back was a badass catch too.
  • dj43
Kudos to Troy Smith.

I see an interesting pattern here:

In '08
JTO in game 1 - 80.2
2 - 106.4
3 - 123.3
4 - 59.6
5 - 55.9
6 - 49.2
7 - 69.9
8 - 59.8 At which time JTO was benched for Hill

Hill in game 8 - 102.2
9 - 60.1
10 - 142.3
11 - 100.9
12 - 96.5

Jumping ahead to '09
Hill in game 1 - 89.3
2 - 86.1
3 - 94.6
4 - 104.9
5 - 45.7
6 - 64.6 At which point Hill was benched in favor of A. Smith

A. Smith in game 6 - 118.6

See the pattern? You bring in the new QB and he plays like a Pro-Bowler for awhile, and then reality arrives. We'll just have to see if this pattern continues.
The most interesting thing to me about the 49er offense is how Mike Johnson has continued to open up the offense. Whether that is just him getting more comfortable with the job and learning what works, or if Singletary is allowing him to open it up more, in the end, the 49ers have not had as much variety in play calls since Martz left.

It wasn't that yesterday was some revelation as much as it was a continuation of the trend of the last four games since Johnson took over of getting away from the "up the gut" philosophy that has stunk up the past season and a half.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Got Hops??

That was a badass catch. Crabtrees TD that got called back was a badass catch too.

I know man, they didn't even show a replay of it!

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
http://twitter.com/#!/MBachCSN/status/4014315443060736

Quote:
MBachCSN Mindi Bach
Five 49ers receivers each had more than 60 yds rec: a first in franchise history

Wow...

Del. Walker - Rec/4; 80yds
V. Davis - Rec/4 ; 79yds
F. Gore - Rec/3; 67yds
J. Morgan - Rec/1; 65 yds
M. Crabtree - Rec/4; 61yds

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010111410/2010/REG10/rams@49ers#tab:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-boxscore

wow, that is a crazy stat. very impressive.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Expanding on HessianDud's (great post btw) defense of Ginn's fair catches, Andy Lee has met his match.

That Ram's punter had a brilliant game, great distance and outstanding hang time. Ginn would've had to be either suicidal or stupid to attempt a return on those punts, they were that good. Think about it, the gunners were arriving well before the ball, what was Ginn supposed to do? Fortunately, he chose to fair catch those excellent punts and gave Smith and the offence a chance to keep us in the game.

thanks, and, yeah, sometimes you gotta give credit where its due, and the Rams punter (his name escapes me) really had a fantastic game.
Originally posted by richierich:

The Pattern is that the JTO played the '08 Seahawks & Lions. Seahawks had a whopping 4 wins that year; Lions 0-16. Hill played the same Seahawks and the Rams only had 2 wins that year.

You can even scratch out the strength of opponent and ask this:

Have ANY of those QB's shown what Troy Smith showed us today? Those games those QB's played well in had very little to none adversity and things stacked against us. In those games, everything was clicking. In this game, Troy Smith forced it to work.
we won!!!

for those, who are worried about our 3rd conversion...yes, the number is freaky but the rams weren't that better...2 for 14 is a mess, too. and the rams stayed in game b/c we had those costly penalties...otherwise it would have been not that close at all and even a blowout.
[ Edited by communist on Nov 15, 2010 at 8:55 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
All of those things take an offensive mind.... We don't have that.

I disagree. Johnson is doing a stand-up job. He's not perfect, but its something I haven't seen with this team in a very long time! I think he deserves at least another year with our offense.
Share 49ersWebzone