LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

Post Game Analysis (vs. St. Louis Rams)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The defense was better than I thought they'd be today. Justin Smith had a good game and Willis made a couple of really big plays (the strip sack and several really great tackles on Jackson that prevented bigger gains), and Spikes was fantastic in coverage. The pressure wasn't always there fast enough (a theme this season) and the rushers were way WAY too antsy pre-snap, and Goldson was garbage and we're lucky that he didn't give up more than one touchdown, but overall I thought the D did alright.

Special teams was alright. I know there was some criticism of Ginn on here, but really I thought the Rams punter had a great afternoon and Ginn was wise to fair catch all those balls. also, he safely secured every one of them, so I think he had a decent game back there.

Offensively, the line had a really mixed bag. WAY too many penalties, too inconsistent. The right side of the line is really not very good. But I can't remember: did Snyder start the game for Rachal, or come in in relief? And he left with an injury? Whatever happened there, I would like to see Snyder start regularly, if he can. And with Sims starting on the other side I wouldn't be against seeing either Wragge or Boone take over for Davis for awhile. He plays well from time to time--on the go-ahead touchdown he had a nice block on Long--but he costs us drives and points.

The receivers were so great today, though. Davis and Crabtree both seemed to be going all-out to make receptions, and it was good to see Walker in the mix (and not fumbling). And Frank Gore was fantastic. He made three or four plays today that basically won it for us. Just a stud.

As for Troy, I was impressed. His deep ball is very, very good, and his movement in/awareness of the pocket is also above-average. He's a playmaker and very fun to watch. He racked up 350+ yards and made it look easy. He takes chances and so far they are all resulting in favorable plays. I don't think that will always continue, but as of now, those risks give us a great chance to win. I am very excited to see if he can keep it up for another 7 games.

As for coaching: the playcalling was great early on, and then it bogged down, and got good again, which seems to be MJ's MO. A little too inconsistent for my liking. Wasted time outs, penalties, being unwilling to pull players who are struggling were all black marks against the coaching staff today.

Also, I was impressed by the Rams. Long was a beast today and Bradford is special. That's a young team that is still a year or two away, and if we're lucky they will be our major competition for years to come. If we're unlucky, they will just dominate the division for the next 5-10 years.
Total net yards - 421
passing Cmp Att Yds td's
T smith 17 28 356 1

I didn't think a niners Qb could do this!!!

Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
0-11 on third downs worries me

yes, me too. a lot.
Crabtree's catch make's #1 on NFL.com's Top 10 catches of week 10:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-top-5-catches/09000d5d81c20248/Top-10-catches-of-Week-10?module=HP_headlines
Originally posted by HessianDud:

yes, me too. a lot.

im surprised that on many 3rd and short downs, they just didnt have a designed rollout for smith to run or pass
Originally posted by WestCoast:

yes, me too. a lot.

im surprised that on many 3rd and short downs, they just didnt have a designed rollout for smith to run or pass

yeah, he used his legs to keep pass plays alive, but I would like to see him use them to pick up yards as well, and I would like to see that designed into the offense. Going 0-11 is pathetic, especially given how many playmakers we have.

1:04 Crabtree don't play like no "Diva"
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Man that Sam Bradford is gonna be destroying us for years to come. Soon the Rams will be the power house of the division.

That kid can play

haha nice. BTW. Crabtree got #1 catch of the week on NFL.com...I still think they just shoulda given it to VD even though it got called back.
Troy threw three TD's in one drive. That's a f**kin QB if I ever saw one

yes, me too. a lot.

Yeah; but, how many of those PI and holding calls were on 3rd downs. I think that stat's a bit misleading...
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for rxrunner.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

haha nice. BTW. Crabtree got #1 catch of the week on NFL.com...I still think they just shoulda given it to VD even though it got called back.

the commentator pissed me off @:45
Did anyone else notice how many times our pass rushers get held, especially J.Smith and Laboy? Its crazy how many times the refs dont call that s**t. I saw it happen atleast twice on the rams' drive to tie the game for OT. I've noticed this BS happening for weeks and weeks now.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Did anyone else notice how many times our pass rushers get held, especially J.Smith and Laboy? Its crazy how many times the refs dont call that s**t. I saw it happen atleast twice on the rams' drive to tie the game for OT. I've noticed this BS happening for weeks and weeks now.

Yeah, I notice a couple against J. Smith. It was pissin me off; but, the win makes it all better...
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
The defense was better than I thought they'd be today. Justin Smith had a good game and Willis made a couple of really big plays (the strip sack and several really great tackles on Jackson that prevented bigger gains), and Spikes was fantastic in coverage. The pressure wasn't always there fast enough (a theme this season) and the rushers were way WAY too antsy pre-snap, and Goldson was garbage and we're lucky that he didn't give up more than one touchdown, but overall I thought the D did alright.

Special teams was alright. I know there was some criticism of Ginn on here, but really I thought the Rams punter had a great afternoon and Ginn was wise to fair catch all those balls. also, he safely secured every one of them, so I think he had a decent game back there.

Offensively, the line had a really mixed bag. WAY too many penalties, too inconsistent. The right side of the line is really not very good. But I can't remember: did Snyder start the game for Rachal, or come in in relief? And he left with an injury? Whatever happened there, I would like to see Snyder start regularly, if he can. And with Sims starting on the other side I wouldn't be against seeing either Wragge or Boone take over for Davis for awhile. He plays well from time to time--on the go-ahead touchdown he had a nice block on Long--but he costs us drives and points.

The receivers were so great today, though. Davis and Crabtree both seemed to be going all-out to make receptions, and it was good to see Walker in the mix (and not fumbling). And Frank Gore was fantastic. He made three or four plays today that basically won it for us. Just a stud.

As for Troy, I was impressed. His deep ball is very, very good, and his movement in/awareness of the pocket is also above-average. He's a playmaker and very fun to watch. He racked up 350+ yards and made it look easy. He takes chances and so far they are all resulting in favorable plays. I don't think that will always continue, but as of now, those risks give us a great chance to win. I am very excited to see if he can keep it up for another 7 games.

As for coaching: the playcalling was great early on, and then it bogged down, and got good again, which seems to be MJ's MO. A little too inconsistent for my liking. Wasted time outs, penalties, being unwilling to pull players who are struggling were all black marks against the coaching staff today.

Also, I was impressed by the Rams. Long was a beast today and Bradford is special. That's a young team that is still a year or two away, and if we're lucky they will be our major competition for years to come. If we're unlucky, they will just dominate the division for the next 5-10 years.
[ Edited by AZ9er on Nov 14, 2010 at 9:24 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone