LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. ST. LOUIS RAMS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 10)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I'm kinda worried that with Michael Lewis on the Rams roster they'll be calling out our plays at the line of scrimmage.

I bet that's the only reason he was picked up by them.

1 bad hit to his head and he wont even remember a single play from our playbook

He can go ahead and give them Jimmy Raye's part of the playbook. How many off tackle runs did we call when Lewis was here, one?

Lewis doesn't know the part of the playbook Johnson has been using.
56 49ers 17 rams
hopefully we play with a reasonable amount of urgency..nevermind singletary is still watching film
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I hope we prepare for Bradford like he's Peyton cuz if not he could be dropping nuclear bombs all over our secondary.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Even as a rookie, Bradford can be dangerous if given time. This game will come down to who ever runs the ball the best and which QB can stay away from throwing picks.

Not exactly. Look at what the game plan against Sanchez was. Teams normally stacked the box and run blitz hoping to pressure Sanchez also and it was that much easier for him to throw to man coverage. This past Sunday, the opponent played coverage and dared the Jets to beat them with the run. Sanchez could not find anyone open and threw INT eventually pressing for completions. Why is it that when we play a great QB, we play bracket coverage yet when we play an inexperienced QB, we don't? Wouldn't that type of defense that works against the greats be even more effective against the not so great?

1. The run game only establishes safety and a shorter game.
2. The run does not put points on the board.
3. Teams that heavily rely on the run cannot be down during the game.
4. Eventually, they will need to pass to score points
5. Force them to make just one or two mistakes passing and end game.

We are a similar team. We don't want to rely on our QB but having done this every game because of our current philosophy puts us in a situation to "have a chance to win at the end of the game".

The problem is that the statement is true, but we are at the bad end of that "close" game. No one realized what that philosophy truly does, which is put a team in a situation to lose the game or play catchup by using a completely different philosophy during the end of the game in order to try and dig itself out.

I think this is why the mistakes happen. We KNOW the game is going to be a close game due to our philosophy and it has been putting us behind which forces us to play and press outside of our "identity" or what we have practiced. This leads to inconsistency. Inconsistency leads to sloppy play. Sloppy play leads to pressing and forcing things, which leads to f**king up.

Damn I hate this philosophy.

That game plan isn't too effective against Bradford. The Rams offense is a ball control offense that relies on the run game and short, safe passing. If you back out of the box, the Rams will run it and dink and dunk down the field all day. The best shot the 49ers have is to try and pressure Sam using confusing blitz schemes while stacking the box to stop Jackson. The Rams don't take a ton of deep shots because we don't have any WRs who have a lot of speed now that Clayton and Avery are done for the year. To me, this is a close game that comes down to whoever makes the least amount of mistakes. The Rams struggle to finish games and tend to shoot ourselves in the foot on the road. It's a very winnable game from either side. The keys to the game are:
St. Louis winning:
-Stop Gore
-Protect Bradford
-Minimize Mistakes
-Finish the game strong

49ers Winning:
-Get Gore rolling
-Protect Troy Smith
-Get after Bradford
-Force Turnovers
-Make Rams play from behind
The Rams are a team that tends to jump out and grab the lead quickly so if the 49ers are within 7 at half or winning, they are in a good position to win the game. Good luck 49ers(even if I hate your team) and hopefully no one suffers bad injuries.
Originally posted by RealityCheck:
Even as a rookie, Bradford can be dangerous if given time. This game will come down to who ever runs the ball the best and which QB can stay away from throwing picks.

Not exactly. Look at what the game plan against Sanchez was. Teams normally stacked the box and run blitz hoping to pressure Sanchez also and it was that much easier for him to throw to man coverage. This past Sunday, the opponent played coverage and dared the Jets to beat them with the run. Sanchez could not find anyone open and threw INT eventually pressing for completions. Why is it that when we play a great QB, we play bracket coverage yet when we play an inexperienced QB, we don't? Wouldn't that type of defense that works against the greats be even more effective against the not so great?

We are a similar team. We don't want to rely on our QB but having done this every game because of our current philosophy puts us in a situation to "have a chance to win at the end of the game".

The problem is that the statement is true, but we are at the bad end of that "close" game. No one realized what that philosophy truly does, which is put a team in a situation to lose the game or play catchup by using a completely different philosophy during the end of the game in order to try and dig itself out.

I think this is why the mistakes happen. We KNOW the game is going to be a close game due to our philosophy and it has been putting us behind which forces us to play and press outside of our "identity" or what we have practiced. This leads to inconsistency. Inconsistency leads to sloppy play. Sloppy play leads to pressing and forcing things, which leads to f**king up.

That game plan isn't too effective against Bradford. The Rams offense is a ball control offense that relies on the run game and short, safe passing. If you back out of the box, the Rams will run it and dink and dunk down the field all day. The best shot the 49ers have is to try and pressure Sam using confusing blitz schemes while stacking the box to stop Jackson. The Rams don't take a ton of deep shots because we don't have any WRs who have a lot of speed now that Clayton and Avery are done for the year. To me, this is a close game that comes down to whoever makes the least amount of mistakes. The Rams struggle to finish games and tend to shoot ourselves in the foot on the road. It's a very winnable game from either side. The keys to the game are:
St. Louis winning:
-Stop Gore
-Protect Bradford
-Minimize Mistakes
-Finish the game strong

49ers Winning:
-Get Gore rolling
-Protect Troy Smith
-Get after Bradford
-Force Turnovers
The Rams are a team that tends to jump out and grab the lead quickly so if the 49ers are within 7 at half or winning, they are in a good position to win the game. Good luck 49ers(even if I hate your team) and hopefully no one suffers bad injuries.

Underneath completions is how we keep getting the ball moved on us against the weaker QB's. Then they get that one or two big plays.

The Rams actually throw the ball a lot so why not make it appear to Bradford that our entire defense is in coverage and play a cover 2 style that handles the dink and dunk. There is a HUGE, and I mean HUGE drop-off from their leading receiver to the second guy. We need to shut off the 1st guy completely.

Our run defense is still strong and the Rams run-game is weak. The primary goal for a team with a young QB IS to force the opponent to bring more in the box so that the QB can throw easier against man coverage.

We need to go with zone coverage with a single safety look. Teams have done this to us for 6 years. They take away the short passing and the run game and force us to go deep. Man coverage against a young QB means the QB isn't required to think as much. We need to force him to think too much and get INTs. We have a better chance at getting INT's in this game than we do sacks, especially against a short passing team that gets the ball out quick.
I expect this to be a Hard fought Game. Them boys will be hungry to play a division foe. I believe that unless we finda way to get out fast and stay on the attack. we could lose this game. Should be a good game. Im glad that Alex wont be playing this game cuz if he did and we lose. Oh boy Outplayed at HOME against a Rookie. not a good thing.
Originally posted by RealityCheck:

St. Louis winning:
-Stop Gore
-Protect Bradford
-Minimize Mistakes
-Finish the game strong

49ers Winning:
-Get Gore rolling
-Protect Troy Smith
-Get after Bradford
-Force Turnovers

Underneath completions is how we keep getting the ball moved on us against the weaker QB's. Then they get that one or two big plays.

The Rams actually throw the ball a lot so why not make it appear to Bradford that our entire defense is in coverage and play a cover 2 style that handles the dink and dunk. There is a HUGE, and I mean HUGE drop-off from their leading receiver to the second guy. We need to shut off the 1st guy completely.

Our run defense is still strong and the Rams run-game is weak. The primary goal for a team with a young QB IS to force the opponent to bring more in the box so that the QB can throw easier against man coverage.

We need to go with zone coverage with a single safety look. Teams have done this to us for 6 years. They take away the short passing and the run game and force us to go deep. Man coverage against a young QB means the QB isn't required to think as much. We need to force him to think too much and get INTs. We have a better chance at getting INT's in this game than we do sacks, especially against a short passing team that gets the ball out quick.

The flaw in this logic is assuming the Rams run game is weak. It's not, the Rams still have Steven Jackson. You said it yourself, the Rams love quick passing. By dropping out of the box, you open yourself up for the quick passing the Rams want to run. Zone blitzes are probably the best way to get after Bradford and Bradford has really cut down on mistakes of late throwing only 2 ints in the last 4 games(both in garbage time vs. the Lions). To be completely frank, the Rams WRs stink. Amendola, the slot WR, is their best weapon because the guy is great at getting separation on short routes and finding holes in the zone. Behind him, Brandon Gibson is inconsistent catching the ball and doesn't offer much speed, Laurent Robinson just is awful and Mardy Gilyard hasn't contributed much. The Rams will probably focus a lot of targets on Gibson, Amendola and their TEs. Amendola is money on 3rd downs, if the 49ers want to win, they have to focus on taking him away on 3rd downs.
if we somehow lead say 10-0 no way in hell we keep attacking like the giants did the seahawks this past sunday because singletary will call out to johnson to run gore to death and we gotta pray our average defense to win this game which i dont see happening. i expect the worse with this team that is coached by someone who can get out coached by a zombie and im expecting for bradford to pick apart the secondary with no name wrs. i hope that im wrong though
agreed. if we take the lead we better keep our foot on the gas and put up more points.

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
agreed. if we take the lead we better keep our foot on the gas and put up more points.

won't happen, Singletary will tie Johnson's hands behind his back and turn to Dingleball of run run run punt, ,prevent defense then try and get back into the game.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go!
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

won't happen, Singletary will tie Johnson's hands behind his back and turn to Dingleball of run run run punt, ,prevent defense then try and get back into the game.

I agree & if he does something like this he should be gone. We can't win these days just sitting on a 3 or 7 point lead!
"Slam Da Lambs"
I think our TEs will have a very good game. We need to be able to run the ball out of the "12" personnel, right? One back, three WRs and a TE, no? Please correct me if I am wrong. Didn't we have great success with this after trying to pound it in a "21" personnel grouping?

Run when it looks like pass, pass when it looks like run and mixing it up with a two-te set as well. We need to be able to keep them on their heels.

The question will be if Singletary allows it?

By the way, watch out for ST. The field position game will be huge especially if our D can keep them off the field.

They need to come out aggressive on all sides of the ball!
Share 49ersWebzone