LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 346 users in the forums

At 1-6 and no starting QB how do you approach final 9 games?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nate Davis looked bad in the 4th Quarter of pre-season games against a bunch of guys (like him) who aren't even on game day rosters right now (or in the NFL at all). Like the 49ers, 31 other teams didn't think he was valuable enough to put on their roster.

He's not even remotely "boom or bust." He's another QB in the long line of QBs (Rattay, Dorsey, etc.) that 9ers fans insist on over hyping to make their desperation hurt less.

Troy Smith will play before he does, as he should.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Nate Davis looked bad in the 4th Quarter of pre-season games against a bunch of guys (like him) who aren't even on game day rosters right now (or in the NFL at all). Like the 49ers, 31 other teams didn't think he was valuable enough to put on their roster.

He's not even remotely "boom or bust." He's another QB in the long line of QBs (Rattay, Dorsey, etc.) that 9ers fans insist on over hyping to make their desperation hurt less.

Troy Smith will play before he does, as he should.

While I think you're right, I'll suggest that it's important to give Davis a solid audition at some point this season, the goal being to make a final decision on his career with the Niners. Unless, of course, Troy Smith takes off like a house on fire. But what are the odds of that?
^^^Oh yeah, very small re: Troy Smith

I hate to say it but I think Nate Davis might have already had his audition for this season.

Of all the major sports the NFL seems to be particularly moralistic about tanking the season as well. In addition Singletary is auditioning for his next job (or still deluded enough to be trying to keep this one), Johnson and Baalke are trying to keep theirs for more than six months, York is trying to get financing for a stadium, and the 9ers need to look like a franchise that at least WANTS to win to get FAs and to resign their own guys.

I just don't see how it's in ANYBODY's best interest to start throwing in replacement players for the heck of it or in some desperate hope that a 5th round guy from the practice squad who is unwanted by the rest of the league and can't even learn the basic protection calls in over two years is going to be a great savior for us.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Oct 26, 2010 at 6:15 AM ]
I see some posts have mentioned that Nate Davis didn't look too good when he played in the Preseason. What QB has looked good for us? I agree about getting Nate and or Troy in the game. The season was over two games ago. Honestly we played juuussst a little bit better than the Raiders. We could be 0-7 right now. We truly have nothing to loose at this point. Other teams are playing rookies at QB, Cardinals and Browns to name a couple. So yeah put Nate or Troy in. If they get shell shocked then everyone will know what there are about, but maybe , just maybe they might be able to doing something. The QB play can't be any worse than what we saw out of Carr last week, and we just don't know what version of Alex we will get week to week. So the final games SHOULD be used as auditions. Give everyone a chance to play.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
^^^Oh yeah, very small re: Troy Smith

I hate to say it but I think Nate Davis might have already had his audition for this season.

Of all the major sports the NFL seems to be particularly moralistic about tanking the season as well. In addition Singletary is auditioning for his next job (or still deluded enough to be trying to keep this one), Johnson and Baalke are trying to keep theirs for more than six months, York is trying to get financing for a stadium, and the 9ers need to look like a franchise that at least WANTS to win to get FAs and to resign their own guys.

I just don't see how it's in ANYBODY's best interest to start throwing in replacement players for the heck of it or in some desperate hope that a 5th round guy from the practice squad who is unwanted by the rest of the league and can't even learn the basic protection calls in over two years is going to be a great savior for us.

Very well said. As much I to pretend that this could happen (Helps deal with the pain of losing) there is no way the front office or the coaching staff starts playing Madden 11 with this team.
Share 49ersWebzone