Characteristics of a good QB:

Accuracy: Nope
Intelligence: Check
Instincts: Nope
Touch: Nope
Field Vision: Nope
Mobility: Check
Consistency: Nope
Situational Awareness: Nope (Too much time waisted at critical moments)
Leadership: Nope (Leaders dont allow their team to walk in and out of huddles in two minute drills)
Attitude: Nope

Without a long drawn out essay, I think that pretty much sums it up.

~ Accurate at times.
~ Field vision. He has this. Just not always accuracy. The 2 are different...
~ Situational awarness. He's fine here.
~ Attitude. He's good here. A hard worker and team player.

He could demonstrate more leadership, accuracy and consistency.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 28, 2010 at 4:41 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
We can make this real simple.

Leadership: Nope (Leaders dont allow their team to walk in and out of huddles in two minute drills)

~ Accurate at times.
~ Field vision. He has this. Just now always accuracy. The 2 are different...

Sounds like a fair assessment to me.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

~ Accurate at times.

Again, by attitude I mean he's not a jerk/cocky enough. He is too nice.

And unless your argument is that our WRs cant get open, it's hard for me to say he has field vision when Gore is his primary target even when he has time in the pocket. When is the last time you've seen him complete a pass downfield when on a boot leg or running out of the pocket? How many times did he miss his reciever streaking down the field (Gin, Moragan, Davis)? With the exception of that one nicely thrown slant to Ginn, he rarely puts the ball in a place the reciever can run in stride. Do I have to remind you of that pass to Norris or the big miss on a wide open Frank Gore near the end zone?
Like I said, I would love to keep him as a number 2, but he isn't consistent enough among other things to be a very good QB.
At think the only thing people can argue about Alex now is that they believe (in the future) that he can be a very good QB. Over 6 years he hasn't been anything more than good in spots.

Crap! I wrote an essay.
  • dj43
Originally posted by rk1642:

Great, I can play this game.

Smith has had the following to work with while on this team:

Head Coach with a clue: Nope for each one of the fools we've dealt with.

OC: Only one was Turner and Smith was clearly getting better with him at helm but all others equal total failures.

Oline: So this is a no brainer right. We can't run let along pass protect, he has less time to throw and gets more pressures than any other qb from what I've seen.

Wr's: No #1 until Crabs and he still is not up to speed yet. A list of our wr's over the last 6 years is a total joke. The rest still cutoff routes, have alligator arms when a defender is near, don't layout for any close ball, tip balls into the air and let defenders beat them for jump balls. Look at any game and you can see Payton, Brees, Big Ben, Brady and the like throw to covered wr's all the time but what they get is an effort from their wr's to in most case make the catch or at least knock it down. Smith trys this and his wr's give up or make no stinking effort at knocking it down.

TE: Vernon is a legit TE but still drops balls and doesn't make hot reads correctly all the time but has been Smiths omly reliable go to guy.

RB: Yes Gore is and has been great but you can game plan against Gore due to our crappy OC game planning so not the effective weapon for Smith that he could be.

Defense: Decent but we've had leads going into the last 6 minutes of how many (4) out of our 7 games and have lost them due to an underrated Defense. If they hold teams in these games we have a winning record and things sure look alot different.

Have at it with the hate, but would be nice to get real feedback.
Pretty much sums it up.

I would only emphasize the very low quality of WR on this team over the last 4 years. Part of that is poor coaching, IMO, and part is just lack of talent.

Right now they have a speedy little guy that is not particularly athletic or elusive = Ginn.

A tall, strong guy who is not fast nor a good route runner = Morgan.

A young diva who is not fast but looks like a good athlete though lacks polish = Crabtree.

A tall slender guy who makes difficult catches but lacks speed and PT = Ziegler.

A fast guy who was productive in college but gets no PT = Jason Hill.

None of those guys would start on any of the good passing teams in the league. AFTER SIX YEARS OF NOLAN/MCCLOUGHAN/SINGLETARY, this team doesn't have a single starting-grade WR. That is pathetic.

And unless your argument is that our WRs cant get open, it's hard for me to say he has field vision when Gore is his primary target even when he has time in the pocket. When is the last time you've seen him complete a pass downfield when on a boot leg or running out of the pocket? How many times did he miss his reciever streaking down the field (Gin, Moragan, Davis)? With the exception of that one nicely thrown slant to Ginn, he rarely puts the ball in a place the reciever can run in stride. Do I have to remind you of that pass to Norris or the big miss on a wide open Frank Gore near the end zone?
Like I said, I would love to keep him as a number 2, but he isn't consistent enough among other things to be a very good QB.
At think the only thing people can argue about Alex now is that they believe (in the future) that he can be a very good QB. Over 6 years he hasn't been anything more than good in spots.

Crap! I wrote an essay.

Well I will write my essay back while enjoying the NC/FSU game...

I feel you are emphasizing too much of the blame on Alex for some of those passes mentioned. I think all QBs have missed throws per game that make fans scratch their heads. I see some in each game I watch, and I watch many with my Sunday Ticket over the years.

49ers fans... particularly the ones that have made up their minds about Alex... and try to get everyone else to agree with them to somehow validate their own opinion... these people memorize their version of those errant passes so they can utilize them when in discussion.

Again... all QBs have errant passes each game. Somehow you people point to our QB as if he should never have them as well. Well go ahead... but there are others that are paying close attention to these games and will simply not buy the "agendizing" BS.

~ Accurate at times.

Crap! I wrote an essay.

He sees the field fine IMO. He's just ultra conservative in his decision making. And his throws aren't always accurate. It's Cutler who you sometimes say "WTF was he seeing?" Alex sees it. He's just scared to throw it sometimes and hesitates. That's where a lot of the checkdowns come in.
Originally posted by dj43:

OC: Only one was Turner and Smith was clearly getting better with him at helm but all others equal total failures.

Oline: So this is a no brainer right. We can't run let along pass protect, he has less time to throw and gets more pressures than any other qb from what I've seen.

Wr's: No #1 until Crabs and he still is not up to speed yet. A list of our wr's over the last 6 years is a total joke. The rest still cutoff routes, have alligator arms when a defender is near, don't layout for any close ball, tip balls into the air and let defenders beat them for jump balls. Look at any game and you can see Payton, Brees, Big Ben, Brady and the like throw to covered wr's all the time but what they get is an effort from their wr's to in most case make the catch or at least knock it down. Smith trys this and his wr's give up or make no stinking effort at knocking it down.

TE: Vernon is a legit TE but still drops balls and doesn't make hot reads correctly all the time but has been Smiths omly reliable go to guy.

RB: Yes Gore is and has been great but you can game plan against Gore due to our crappy OC game planning so not the effective weapon for Smith that he could be.

Defense: Decent but we've had leads going into the last 6 minutes of how many (4) out of our 7 games and have lost them due to an underrated Defense. If they hold teams in these games we have a winning record and things sure look alot different.

Pretty much sums it up.

I would only emphasize the very low quality of WR on this team over the last 4 years. Part of that is poor coaching, IMO, and part is just lack of talent.

Right now they have a speedy little guy that is not particularly athletic or elusive = Ginn.

A young diva who is not fast but looks like a good athlete though lacks polish = Crabtree.

A tall slender guy who makes difficult catches but lacks speed and PT = Ziegler.

None of those guys would start on any of the good passing teams in the league. AFTER SIX YEARS OF NOLAN/MCCLOUGHAN/SINGLETARY, this team doesn't have a single starting-grade WR. That is pathetic.

Agreed with everything but Crabtree. He would start on most teams in the league. He's not the only WR in the league that doesn't have blazing speed. Put him on a team with a decent QB and he'd be doing a helluva lot better than what he's done so far.
  • dj43
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Pretty much sums it up.

Agreed with everything but Crabtree. He would start on most teams in the league. He's not the only WR in the league that doesn't have blazing speed. Put him on a team with a decent QB and he'd be doing a helluva lot better than what he's done so far.
I think a lot of us would like to believe Crabtree is a much better player than he is. The bottom line is he was such a dog in practice that his captain, supported by teammates, had to call him out before he began to do the work. The results of his poor work ethic have shown up on the field. He does not always run his routes with the pace and crispness he must have in order to be a reliable target for the QB. He still cuts off routes and doesn't run them out if he is not a priority target. A good WR will ALWAYS use one play/route to set up another. Crabtree doesn't seem to get that yet. We have all seen multiple examples of where he is not where he needs to be on plays. Alex Smith's inconsistency is not an excuse for Crabtree not running routes correctly.

I agree he has a lot of talent but until he begins to show that talent CONSISTENTLY on the field, he is not going to be a starting WR on a good team.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by kazak13:
well any info on how serious it is? I couldnt catch it on tv..

so how much more do we appreciate Alex now that we seen David Carr? Troy Smith in anytime soon?

Smith's career in SF is done. Up to this point, his play was questionable at best. I know his fans will say he played great today, but Im sorry.......scoring on your opening drive and then not making any noise against the worst team in the NFL is not something to build on.

Regardless of him returning, his supporters now have new ammo to defend him; INJURY.

I think his time here is over. Even if he misses 4 weeks, he doesnt have enough time to convince front management for an extension. Plus his injury will ply aq role in all this.

As for Carr stinking, yeah I guess if people want to use Carr's bad play to praise Smith, then all the power to them. In reality, all the QBs stink, and this was done on purpose by Sing so that Smith would have no competition.

haha, you're f**king ridiculous. and news flash: We are the worst team in the NFL.

Because of Smith....not in spite of him. He was part of the problem, do you deny this ?

"Because of Smith" and "He was part of the problem" in the same post? Make up your mind.

~ Accurate at times.

Crap! I wrote an essay.

He sees the field fine IMO. He's just ultra conservative in his decision making. And his throws aren't always accurate. It's Cutler who you sometimes say "WTF was he seeing?" Alex sees it. He's just scared to throw it sometimes and hesitates. That's where a lot of the checkdowns come in.

No offense, but how could you know that? I do tend to agree with you, but the point remains. Whether he see it and doesn't throw or just doesn't see it at all, the result is the same. He is not spreading the ball around. Both in the Raider game and the Panthers game his check down to Gore was almost picked because everyone knows it's coming.

• ZRF80
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by kazak13:
well any info on how serious it is? I couldnt catch it on tv..

so how much more do we appreciate Alex now that we seen David Carr? Troy Smith in anytime soon?

Smith's career in SF is done. Up to this point, his play was questionable at best. I know his fans will say he played great today, but Im sorry.......scoring on your opening drive and then not making any noise against the worst team in the NFL is not something to build on.

Regardless of him returning, his supporters now have new ammo to defend him; INJURY.

I think his time here is over. Even if he misses 4 weeks, he doesnt have enough time to convince front management for an extension. Plus his injury will ply aq role in all this.

As for Carr stinking, yeah I guess if people want to use Carr's bad play to praise Smith, then all the power to them. In reality, all the QBs stink, and this was done on purpose by Sing so that Smith would have no competition.

haha, you're f**king ridiculous. and news flash: We are the worst team in the NFL.

Because of Smith....not in spite of him. He was part of the problem, do you deny this ?

"Because of Smith" and "He was part of the problem" in the same post? Make up your mind.

What ? I asked a simple question. Are the Niners the worst team in football because of Smith (whether or not he is the sole problem is irrelevant) ? In other words, do you believe that Smith is part of the problem ?

I'll be waiting another week while you ponder this and come up with an answer....
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Pretty much sums it up.

I think a lot of us would like to believe Crabtree is a much better player than he is. The bottom line is he was such a dog in practice that his captain, supported by teammates, had to call him out before he began to do the work. The results of his poor work ethic have shown up on the field. He does not always run his routes with the pace and crispness he must have in order to be a reliable target for the QB. He still cuts off routes and doesn't run them out if he is not a priority target. A good WR will ALWAYS use one play/route to set up another. Crabtree doesn't seem to get that yet. We have all seen multiple examples of where he is not where he needs to be on plays. Alex Smith's inconsistency is not an excuse for Crabtree not running routes correctly.

I agree he has a lot of talent but until he begins to show that talent CONSISTENTLY on the field, he is not going to be a starting WR on a good team.

Crabtree's problem is not that he lacks work ethic, it's that he is a Diva. Like most of us, he probably think the head coach is a Neanderthal and has a hard time staying focused or practicing in an offense that targets him 4 times a game. Crabtree is a beast and would be a super star on a good passing team that motivated him. I'm not defending his actions. I'm just talking psychology. The situation reminds me of Randy Moss in Oakland.

Other than that, It's hard to know what we really have at the reciever position. For years everyone on this forum (myself included) thought Davis was a bust because they didn't know how to use him and they threw to him 2 times a game. Now he is a first team ProBowler. Overrated or not, you dont get there unless you have real talent.

So how can you really judge any of our guys when 50 percent of the playcalls are Gore and the other half that are pass plays end up in Gore's hands 40 percent of the time?

I'm always amazed at how other teams WR seem to be wide open a lot of the time. That's not route running, thats scheme. In addition to the few amount of times are WR are targeted and the lack of good ball positioning by the QB, we also have to deal with horrible scheme. Our WRs dont have a chance.
Crabtree's problem is Alex Smith.

Crap! I wrote an essay.

Well I will write my essay back while enjoying the NC/FSU game...

I feel you are emphasizing too much of the blame on Alex for some of those passes mentioned. I think all QBs have missed throws per game that make fans scratch their heads. I see some in each game I watch, and I watch many with my Sunday Ticket over the years.

49ers fans... particularly the ones that have made up their minds about Alex... and try to get everyone else to agree with them to somehow validate their own opinion... these people memorize their version of those errant passes so they can utilize them when in discussion.

Again... all QBs have errant passes each game. Somehow you people point to our QB as if he should never have them as well. Well go ahead... but there are others that are paying close attention to these games and will simply not buy the "agendizing" BS.

Ok. Let's assume you're right. Let's look at it from the opposite end. How many long/intermediate passes has this guy completed if you take out the check down to Gore? As far as I can remember he has had one long pass to Davis and one to Ginn.

The point is not to say, oh remember this set of bad/good passes. But when you take the collective body of work he is far too inconsistent to be considered a starting QB.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 29, 2010 at 12:26 PM ]

The point is not to say, oh remember this set of bad/good passes. But when you take the collective body of work he is far too inconsistent to be considered a starting QB.

Just trying to get some of you to think,

"well, gee.... how come?"

rather than just simply uttering, "duh, cuz he sucks."

... but there are some of us that see that no consistent good play can be conjured up until the other 10 players on offense do their jobs with any level of competency. When that day occurs... and he still can't do his job? That will be the day the rest of us say, "yeah, okay... he just sucks."
Share 49ersWebzone