There are 179 users in the forums

Should we move up to get our OT?

Should we move up to get our OT?

As a team I believe we are a solid O line away from owning our division for years to come. Most of the pieces are in place on defense and offense. Going into the off season there seemed to be no doubt that we would be able to draft a top tier tackle with one of our first round picks. However, the closer we get to the draft the more it seems possible that ALL of the top tier OTs may be off the board before we even get to use our first pick.

There are probably a number of scenarios we could run, but for simplicity's sake let’s consider one option, moving up.

Based on the value chart we would have to give up a 3rd rounder to move up to the 9 spot. Assuming the other team would trade (Oak 8, Buff 9, Jack 10) would you do it? I think I would.
I think people are exaggerating the run on tackles. Last year people made the same claims that 4 tackles would go in the top 10 yet Oher was still available at 22.

I think 3 go before we pick (Okung, Williams, Campbell) but we still get a chance at the other 2.

Either way I say no. If 5 tackles go in the top 12 then say hello to Eric Berry or Joe Haden.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 27, 2010 at 20:48:05 ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I think people are exaggerating the run on tackles. Last year people made the same claims that 4 tackles would go in the top 10 yet Oher was still available at 22.

I think 3 go before we pick (Okung, Williams, Campbell) but we still get a chance at the other 2.

Either way I say no. If 5 tackles go in the top 12 then say hello to Eric Berry or Joe Haden.

But then what? At what point do we grab our tackle? I guess I just dont have a lot of confidence in Scotty's ability to draft can't miss prospects on the Oline (Baas, Chilo, Snyder, Wragge, Wallace) not exactly diamonds in the rough.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 27, 2010 at 20:52:49 ]
Hell no we should stay where were at if anything move back in the first and pick up a second
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

But then what? At what point do we grab our tackle?

2nd round or 3rd round. You can find starting RT's in those rounds, and like I said I severely doubt all 5 of those tackles are gone by the time we pick.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 27, 2010 at 20:56:45 ]

2nd round or 3rd round. You can find starting RT's in those rounds, and like I said I severely doubt all 5 of those tackles are gone by the time we pick.

I sure hope your right, but it's like I said, I dont have a lot of confidence in Scottys ability to draft lineman in the second and beyond.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 27, 2010 at 21:01:08 ]

I sure hope your right, but it's like I said, I dont have a lot of confidence in Scottys ability to draft lineman in the seconds and beyond.

Personally I think Trent Williams pulled away from the pack for us. I wouldn't be p*ssed if we traded up to get him it just wouldn't be my number one option.

I sure hope your right, but it's like I said, I dont have a lot of confidence in Scottys ability to draft lineman in the seconds and beyond.

Personally I think Trent Williams pulled away from the pack for us. I wouldn't be p*ssed if we traded up to get him it just wouldn't be my number one option.

No doubt. I just prey Al is smitten with Campbell, that should help. But I'm also worried Seattle might try and leap frog us at 13 (from 14).

No doubt. I just prey Al is smitten with Campbell, that should help. But I'm also worried Seattle might try and leap frog us at 13 (from 14).

Seattle's in desperate need of a LT though and might not see Williams as the right fit. That and with Carroll's ties to USC he might be more willing to wait for Charles Brown in the 2nd.

To me Buffalo and Oakland are the biggest scares.
As a team I believe we are a solid O line away from owning our division for years to come. Most of the pieces are in place on defense and offense. Going into the off season there seemed to be no doubt that we would be able to draft a top tier tackle with one of our first round picks. However, the closer we get to the draft the more it seems possible that ALL of the top tier OTs may be off the board before we even get to use our first pick.

There are probably a number of scenarios we could run, but for simplicity's sake let’s consider one option, moving up.

Based on the value chart we would have to give up a 3rd rounder to move up to the 9 spot. Assuming the other team would trade (Oak 8, Buff 9, Jack 10) would you do it? I think I would.

This draft is full of tackles next post please and get someone who informed about football please!

I know I mentioned giving up a 3rd to move up, so lets take a look at what we might be missing out on....

Glenn Coffee, Reggie Smith, Jason Hill/Ray McDonald, Michael Robinson, Adam Snyder, Brandon Williams and our beloved Frank Gore.

Outside of Gore I dont know that I wouldn't trade any of these guys with a first for an elite tackle.
If we move up let's get Haden or Berry, not an OT.
Originally posted by ninerforyears:

This draft is full of tackles next post please and get someone who informed about football please!

I'm talkin Blue Chip, not just a tackle. Have fun getting a ton of warnings for all your ignorant posts....

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 27, 2010 at 21:44:01 ]
I know I mentioned giving up a 3rd to move up, so lets take a look at what we might be missing out on....

Glenn Coffee, Reggie Smith, Jason Hill/Ray McDonald, Michael Robinson, Adam Snyder, Brandon Williams and our beloved Frank Gore.

Outside of Gore I dont know that I wouldn't trade any of these guys with a first for an elite tackle.

Trading a 3rd rounder gets us to the 9th pick at best. The Raiders never trade down, and more likely than not Buffalo is looking to take a tackle as well. Really we'd have to get 7 to get that elite tackle that we want and that would cost us a 2nd rounder.

After Buffalo takes their pick it's kinda pointless to move up because Den, JX, and Mia aren't in the market for a tackle. Wsh, KC, Sea, Oak, Buf are the teams looking to upgrade the line before we pick. All 5 of those teams aren't going to take a tackle, and the cost to position ourselves for the perfect blue chip tackle is going to be hefty. Really we're best off just waiting to 13 and hoping the right guy is there.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 27, 2010 at 22:22:18 ]

Gore was drafted in the 4th rd
Share 49ersWebzone