LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Should we move up to get our OT?

Should we move up to get our OT?

With the #13 and 17 picks, there's absolutely no reason to trade up...one of the top OT's should be available. If not, Coach can still get someone like Charles Brown, who's slated by many to go in the 20-25 pick range. He's the kind of OT Coach Solari's looking for...very agile, plays LT, and adept at zone blocking. Taking him and Iupati in the 1st rd would be a very nice haul and other than signing a vet OT, pretty much finish the OL upgrade in the 1st rd.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
With the #13 and 17 picks, there's absolutely no reason to trade up...one of the top OT's should be available. If not, Coach can still get someone like Charles Brown, who's slated by many to go in the 20-25 pick range. He's the kind of OT Coach Solari's looking for...very agile, plays LT, and adept at zone blocking. Taking him and Iupati in the 1st rd would be a very nice haul and other than signing a vet OT, pretty much finish the OL upgrade in the 1st rd.

So rather than move up you would rather reach with #13 or #17 for a tackle that is a late 1st round talent that cant run block worth a darn. Absolutely brilliant
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I think people are exaggerating the run on tackles. Last year people made the same claims that 4 tackles would go in the top 10 yet Oher was still available at 22.

I think the consensus are there are three OT's in this draft, then everyone else. Which is why the OP is asking about trading up.

I think 3 go before we pick (Okung, Williams, Campbell) but we still get a chance at the other 2.

You mean Okung, Williams, and Bulaga.

Campbell will not go before any of those three most likely. The other two would be Campbell and Davis).
Originally posted by kezar49er:

So rather than move up you would rather reach with #13 or #17 for a tackle that is a late 1st round talent that cant run block worth a darn. Absolutely brilliant

Brown can run block.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
I think people are exaggerating the run on tackles. Last year people made the same claims that 4 tackles would go in the top 10 yet Oher was still available at 22.

I think the consensus are there are three OT's in this draft, then everyone else. Which is why the OP is asking about trading up.

I think 3 go before we pick (Okung, Williams, Campbell) but we still get a chance at the other 2.

Campbell will not go before any of those three most likely. The other two would be Campbell and Davis).

Al Davis says hello.

All signs point to the Raiders taking a tackle with the 8th pick and with Al's history you can't count out Campbell going to Oakland.

Al Davis says hello.

All signs point to the Raiders taking a tackle with the 8th pick and with Al's history you can't count out Campbell going to Oakland.

If that happens Bulaga and Okung will probably be gone first then, making Williams and Davis you "other two".

Al Davis says hello.

If that happens Bulaga and Okung will probably be gone first then, making Williams and Davis you "other two".

Every team rates their tackles differently. There's rumors floating around that Detroit will select Trent Williams with the 2nd pick that's how highly they think of him.

You can't think well Mayock has these tackles in this order so that's how it's going to fall.
Originally posted by kezar49er:

Brown can run block.

Says who. Show me some links that say that besides you just saying it. Im not saying he's a bad player but the original point is about moving up to get a OT and not standing pat and reaching for Brown at 13 or 17

Brown is an athletic tackle who can play on both sides of the line. But he has to get stronger.
Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Strengths: Brown is a promising, athletic tackle who can play on both sides of the line. He sets with a wide base, works to bend his knees and keeps his feet moving throughout the action. He’s quick off the snap and is a solid pass protector. He shows patience, initiates contact and uses his hands well. He plays with great technique and balance.

Weaknesses: He’s not a physical player and has to get stronger. He doesn’t seal the opposition consistently and has to improve his run blocking.

Steuber Says: A natural athlete who offers versatility at the tackle position, Brown has to get stronger and develop a mean streak. He’s a finesse player who has nimble feet and solid technique, but he will struggle against bigger pass rushers at the next level. He’s talented and is gifted enough to draw first round consideration

Brown is fast and agile out of his stand; he is mobile and has better-than-average body control, balance and change-of-direction skills.

However, he is not a physical player. He does need to add bulk and strength. He also lacks explosive power and overwhelming mass, struggling to hold his ground against bull rushers when not playing with good leverage.

Brown is a solid prospect who excels at pass protection. In time he could become an elite pass blocker. The knock on him is his lack of strength, which downgrades his run blocking skills

Elite athleticism. A former tight end who converted to tackle in 2005. Has the frame to add bulk. Quick feet; has the ability to matchup well with elite speed rushers. Does a nice job staying low in pass protection. Fast enough to get to the second level when run blocking. Has plenty of upside.
Weaknesses:
Still learning the position and is prone to getting caught out of position. Doesn't have the raw strength to be a dominant run blocker. Comments:
Brown is far from a polished product, but he has the size and athleticism to play left tackle. His lack of elite strength will hold him back on draft day, but his potential should land him in the late 1st or early 2nd round; potential left tackles with his size just don't come around every day.

Just a few of many other scouting reports

[ Edited by kezar49er on Apr 2, 2010 at 22:17:12 ]
Didn't Brown himself say he needs to work on his run blocking?
Is MM stealing my ideas?

• GORO
  • Veteran
I say we stay put and draft two solid additions to our team. As for RT we should try to move up from the 49th pick and get the next highest OT available.
Originally posted by GORO:
I say we stay put and draft two solid additions to our team. As for RT we should try to move up from the 49th pick and get the next highest OT available.

thats an intresting idea i wouldnt be opposed to doing that however teh only RT i would be happy with if we do that is staffold
Oh yeah baby. Me and Sing have done the volcin mind melt.
Are we serious?

Championship teams go get their man especially when their is "activity" on the inside that warrants a trade like that. Is an extra pick needed though? Oh hell yes especially when you can recover the pick even if it is next year. The bottom line is that everyone assumes that no one else would want Davis enough to jump up to nab him at #12.

Well, the Dolphins were willing to trade and so was Denver so the chances of the trade was there and the brass knew it.

Therefore, you get your boy!!!

to Baalke and Singletary who had the cohones to do it!
Originally posted by ninertico:
Are we serious?

Championship teams go get their man especially when their is "activity" on the inside that warrants a trade like that. Is an extra pick needed though? Oh hell yes especially when you can recover the pick even if it is next year. The bottom line is that everyone assumes that no one else would want Davis enough to jump up to nab him at #12.

Well, the Dolphins were willing to trade and so was Denver so the chances of the trade was there and the brass knew it.

Therefore, you get your boy!!!

to Baalke and Singletary who had the cohones to do it!

I couldn't agree more. Look at San Diego and the Eagles and how far they jumped. So we gave up a Cody Wallace (more likely than not), we have our future left tackle for the next 10 years.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Apr 26, 2010 at 21:39:01 ]
Share 49ersWebzone