ESPN Latest on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
He's definitely improved a lot this year, I'll say that much. It's a shame his numbers don't back it up, but he's a lot better. A lot of this also goes back to coaching and Sing's love affair with Chilo. The OL has performed a lot better with Chilo on the bench, but Sing seems oblivious.

Gosh Alex is so good I think wild dogs should kiss his rear end, and give Sing brown lollipops!!

The zone, just rules!

Okay now Bali, you don't have to behave like an ass to show your difference of opinion.

Alex Smith This Season:
Under Duress=======No Pressure
Comp Pct 26.8=====71.8 <
Pass Yds 98------------1,131
Yds/Att 2.4------------7.6
TD-INT 1-4------------5-5
Passer Rtg 8.1------------90.8 <

> NFL Avg: 66.3 comp pct, 91.4 passer rtg

This clearly shows that Smith is not a bad QB.

But then that doesn't jive with your opinion either. So should I brace and await insult?

You who said that I act high an mighty to put it in simple terms?

Dude c'mon, you're better than this. I know you are. But I think you're letting this get to you so you gotta take it out on people defending Smith.

Smith has made some mistakes to be sure. But when you're running for your life you're bound to make a few.

I been sayin it since the KC game but Chilo definitely needs to be benched. He was pretty good in the Seattle game til he got that Stinger. But since he's been back in the Starting role he's blown chowder.

~Ceadder

One problem here. You're comparing the average NFL quarterbacks stats with pressure included against Alex Smith's stats without pressure.

You're cherry picking stats there.

Ummmm NO read the stats again. They are for the Iggles game. I didn't cherry pick s**t.

~Ceadder

Maybe you should re read your own post because nowhere does it mention the Eagles game. You posted Alex's stats for this season under duress and then not under duress then you compared that to the average NFL quarterback's rating. One problem there. If you're comparing Alex's stats without pressure compared to an average NFL quarterback including pressure then yes you are cherry picking stats.

I don't know if you realized this but if you removed all of the passes that the average quarterback had under duress than their ratings would improve too.

That stat box is in the article that was linked in the OP. Obviously someone here didn't read the article.

~Ceadder
I would also love to see the numbers for how many times Smith was throwing on 3rd and long VS other QBs. We all know that defenses pin their ears back when in obvious pass downs. To me, it seems like Smith is required to throw on 3rd and long far too often. This plays a big part in this also...
He's definitely improved a lot this year, I'll say that much. It's a shame his numbers don't back it up, but he's a lot better. A lot of this also goes back to coaching and Sing's love affair with Chilo. The OL has performed a lot better with Chilo on the bench, but Sing seems oblivious.

Gosh Alex is so good I think wild dogs should kiss his rear end, and give Sing brown lollipops!!

The zone, just rules!

Okay now Bali, you don't have to behave like an ass to show your difference of opinion.

Alex Smith This Season:
Comp Pct 26.8=====71.8 <

But then that doesn't jive with your opinion either. So should I brace and await insult?

Dude c'mon, you're better than this. I know you are. But I think you're letting this get to you so you gotta take it out on people defending Smith.

Smith has made some mistakes to be sure. But when you're running for your life you're bound to make a few.

I been sayin it since the KC game but Chilo definitely needs to be benched. He was pretty good in the Seattle game til he got that Stinger. But since he's been back in the Starting role he's blown chowder.

~Ceadder

One problem here. You're comparing the average NFL quarterbacks stats with pressure included against Alex Smith's stats without pressure.

Ummmm NO read the stats again. They are for the Iggles game. I didn't cherry pick s**t.

~Ceadder

Maybe you should re read your own post because nowhere does it mention the Eagles game. You posted Alex's stats for this season under duress and then not under duress then you compared that to the average NFL quarterback's rating. One problem there. If you're comparing Alex's stats without pressure compared to an average NFL quarterback including pressure then yes you are cherry picking stats.

I don't know if you realized this but if you removed all of the passes that the average quarterback had under duress than their ratings would improve too.

That stat box is in the article that was linked in the OP. Obviously someone here didn't read the article.

~Ceadder

No, I read the article and saw the flaw in it. It's not an accurate comparision when you compare one QB's stats to another QB's minus everytime he faced pressure.

All QB's face pressure so unless you subtract their under duress stats it's not an equal comparision.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 14, 2010 at 12:16:51 ]
The article basically says that, if Alex has NO PRESSURE on him, then he performs like an average NFL QB.

Is that what we want? AVERAGE? GOOD BYE, GOOD LUCK being a backup on another team.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

1. Great QBs can still make that perfect pass even under duress. Not always, but still completing over 50% of their passes is ideal. Alex simply cannot do that, practically ever. In these cases it could make him more worthy of a QB if he would use his mobility to get some yards or even a first down, or simply to escape the pressure and find an open receiver.

What Alex's ceiling is, who knows, we won't know until he's with an OC that knows what their doing. But I agree with you here, and a lot of it is mechanics. Alex doesn't have a very strong arm and has a big windup to his release. He needs space and an extra bit of time to get his pass off. Because of this, if he's under pressure, his mechanics go crazy and his passes become horrible.

Yeah, exactly. Get him a OC like Norv Turner or Mike Martz and lets see what he can do. Oh, wait...

Uhm....he actually did reasonably well in 1 full season as a starter under Turner. (that's right, he's actually started 1 full season for us so far)

He never even saw the field under Martz. It was the JTO/Shaun Hill show.

And why didnt he see the field under Martz ?

Cause he BROKE his collar bone in a Preseason game had to have surgery and was OUT for the season. DUH!Don't try to twist it into something it ain't.

~Ceadder

Martz jumped off the Smith bandwagon way before he broke his collarbone. His criticism of Smith was based on tape review and practice, not from watching him rot on the bench with a broken collarbone.

Of course, you think that Martz doesnt know football because of what he's done with Cutler.

Right.....

Ummmm other than Warner what has Martz done with a QB? He got Bulger killed and run out of the League. He came up with Max Protect because the Rams Line sucked.

I'm not saying that Martz doesn't know Football. But you're wrong about him and Alex. As it has been pointed out JTO was handed the job based on his knowledge of the system having been with the Lions with Martz. I thought that was a reasonable attitude to take at the time. But let's not kid ourselves about this "competition" that was run. There was no competition. You know it and I know it. Just like we know that there was no competition when Shaun and Alex were to have a competition last season. Sing chose Shaun because he wasn't certain about Smith's shoulder and didn't want to take a chance with him. This is ALSO reasonable. The man had just come off an IR season and so it was best to take it slow.

So I wish you guys would stop with the "Smith lost out to JTO and Shaun Hill " arguments cause they have ZERO basis in reality.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by scopur49er:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by SY9er8:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

1. Great QBs can still make that perfect pass even under duress. Not always, but still completing over 50% of their passes is ideal. Alex simply cannot do that, practically ever. In these cases it could make him more worthy of a QB if he would use his mobility to get some yards or even a first down, or simply to escape the pressure and find an open receiver.

What Alex's ceiling is, who knows, we won't know until he's with an OC that knows what their doing. But I agree with you here, and a lot of it is mechanics. Alex doesn't have a very strong arm and has a big windup to his release. He needs space and an extra bit of time to get his pass off. Because of this, if he's under pressure, his mechanics go crazy and his passes become horrible.

Yeah, exactly. Get him a OC like Norv Turner or Mike Martz and lets see what he can do. Oh, wait...

Uhm....he actually did reasonably well in 1 full season as a starter under Turner. (that's right, he's actually started 1 full season for us so far)

He never even saw the field under Martz. It was the JTO/Shaun Hill show.

And why didnt he see the field under Martz ?

Cause he BROKE his collar bone in a Preseason game had to have surgery and was OUT for the season. DUH!Don't try to twist it into something it ain't.

~Ceadder

no s**t right?

you tell em Ceadder.
im backing Ceadder on this one!

I dont understand ZRF's continued belief that Alex failed under Martz. SMH

You guys have short memories. JTO had already beaten out Smith in Pre season prior to Smith breaking his collarbone. Duh

Eat more green vegetables.

Yeah playing on a bad shoulder the same shoulder that was ruined the year before. No Matter, JTO beat no one out, he got the playing time because of his knowledge of the system. FACT.

Keep grasping.

You guys need to get your stories straight before you defend poor little Alex.

lol, ummm, ok

Guys, for the record...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26354573/

"O’Sullivan was picked to start San Francisco’s preseason opener Aug. 8 against Oakland and has been practicing and playing with the first unit since. He didn’t take any snaps in 11-on-11 team drills during the first seven days of training camp as Smith and Hill got all the work.

But both players struggled to grasp new offensive coordinator Mike Martz’s complex system, and O’Sullivan was given a chance in the lead role earlier this month.
"

...Smith was not injured. He just couldn't pick up the offense.

right because it takes exactly 7 whole days to pick up an extremly complex offensive system. JTO was gonna start regardless because he knew the O

The zone, just rules!

Alex Smith This Season:
Comp Pct 26.8=====71.8 <

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

No, I read the article and saw the flaw in it. It's not an accurate comparision when you compare one QB's stats to another QB's minus everytime he faced pressure.

All QB's face pressure so unless you subtract their under duress stats it's not an equal comparision.

Could be that they did but for whatever reason it didn't make it into the box.

But I didn't cherry pick nuthin. I won't do that. While it may look like I do, it would be an obvious flaw in an argument. And I try to knock the legs of the argument out of my opponents debate by answering questions that I believe one would reasonably ask. It made me a pretty solid debater in school growing up.

My bad though, it looked like you didn't read the article at this end.

~Ceadder
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
The article is referring to the 49ers of 2010. However, you cannot tell the NFL world with a straight face that in ALL the games that Alex Smith has played in, his line has sucked/his receivers couldnt catch/his OC couldnt call good plays/his defense stunk it up.

Alex Smith's CAREER has been one big failure. Now, if you want to prioritize where he ranks in each and every game where the team has stunk, thats your prerogative. But in EVERY game that we've lost since Smith was drafted that he's played in, you can find some flaw in his play.

He is NOT a franchise quarterback. He is NOT a star quarterback. He is NOT a probowler. He is NOT going to take us to the Superbowl. He will NOT make us the next dynasty. The entire sports world gets it, but you people dont.

Get over it. His time in SF is over...........
Im with you get rid of him this OFFSEASON right now he gives us the best option to win and need to play to best assets if not we will lose to oak and that cannot happen im going to the game
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Axl49:
The article is referring to the 49ers of 2010. However, you cannot tell the NFL world with a straight face that in ALL the games that Alex Smith has played in, his line has sucked/his receivers couldnt catch/his OC couldnt call good plays/his defense stunk it up.

Alex Smith's CAREER has been one big failure. Now, if you want to prioritize where he ranks in each and every game where the team has stunk, thats your prerogative. But in EVERY game that we've lost since Smith was drafted that he's played in, you can find some flaw in his play.

He is NOT a franchise quarterback. He is NOT a star quarterback. He is NOT a probowler. He is NOT going to take us to the Superbowl. He will NOT make us the next dynasty. The entire sports world gets it, but you people dont.

Im with you get rid of him this OFFSEASON right now he gives us the best option to win and need to play to best assets if not we will lose to oak and that cannot happen im going to the game

I dont understand when plp say, " he gives us the best chance to win".... how is that, how do you know that???!!! we're 0-5 dude, stop making excuses.

I just hope we can beat the Raiders, but i'm sure he'll choke again
Originally posted by fly15:

I dont understand when plp say, " he gives us the best chance to win".... how is that, how do you know that???!!! we're 0-5 dude, stop making excuses.

By default.

• Brew
  • Veteran
Still 5 ints when not under duress?

Because that is what our teams players say. Not just the coach, but the players themselves.

Originally posted by 49P-Dub52:

improved, ohh yes, more interceptions than tds....

I wonder what games his watching..

He's not watching any game. He just follows NFL's game center of the game.
Originally posted by cNiner:
f**king loser , 6 years done s**t for this team , the f**king owner also !

we have a talented bad team with a bad HC !

6 years, but technically only 2 1/2 seasons.
lol Whether or not Alex finishes strong is irrelevant. He is gone next year. There isn't a single doubt in my mind.
Share 49ersWebzone