There are 174 users in the forums

Source: Singletary will have to win 1-2 playoff games to keep job

Shop Find 49ers gear online
whoever we replace Sing with i just hope its not gruden... i am praying to god that its not gruden
Why are the reports always from Yahoo? f**k you for messing with our team!
Originally posted by CaptainTabasco:
whoever we replace Sing with i just hope its not gruden... i am praying to god that its not gruden

My money says it's gonna be somebody we don't expect. Hopefully it'll be Marty Mornhinweg. His WCO ripped us a new ass last Sunday.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

My money says it's gonna be somebody we don't expect. Hopefully it'll be Marty Mornhinweg. His WCO ripped us a new ass last Sunday.

I want GRUDEN. He's won a superbowl. People can complain how he ripped the buccaneers apart or whatever but I don't buy that. What happened was a SB winning roster got old and he kept them in the playoffs nearly every year until they fired him, when they dropped off by like 7-8 wins.

I agree with both posters.

Gruden is quite a way down my list of candidates, too, CptTabasco. I just don't think he's that much of a break from Singletary. Better X's and O's, but he's cut from the same rah-rah charismatic style of coaching as Sing.

I think you're certainly right about it being a dark horse candidate, SnakePlissken. What top flight coach in his right mind wants to take over our reclimation project anyway? I like the Mornhinweg suggestion, good resume, a dash of Niners' pedigree, and I think his type of offense is well suited to our roster. Better yet, I think it's a feasible hire.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

Gruden is quite a way down my list of candidates, too, CptTabasco. I just don't think he's that much of a break from Singletary. Better X's and O's, but he's cut from the same rah-rah charismatic style of coaching as Sing.

I think you're certainly right about it being a dark horse candidate, SnakePlissken. What top flight coach in his right mind wants to take over our reclimation project anyway? I like the Mornhinweg suggestion, good resume, a dash of Niners' pedigree, and I think his type of offense is well suited to our roster. Better yet, I think it's a feasible hire.

Marty Mornhinweg would literally be the safe/cheap choice! He's a damn good coach/ballsy offensive mastermind who has out-coached many teams at Philly. Dude was literally screwed by Detroit after one season. He coached up Garcia (whilst being on both the 49ers and Eagles), Favre, Hasselbeck, and McNabb. Hell, even Kevin Kolb's mechanics looked (early) Hasselbeck-esq last Sunday.

I just see Gruden being a horrible idea at this time (even though he's a highly qualified candidate). This team is fed up with motivational speakers/yellers, they need some fresh air.

Agreed. I can't understand why so many are high on Gruden. He's not even on my list at all. I would really like to have Marty as HC for all the reasons you stated. He can use the talent that is already here with the Bill Walsh Offense and turn this ship around real fast.

Someone earlier asked why would a coach want to come here? I think it's the perfect spot for a coach. Look at the talent on the roster right now. There's a lot to work with. It's not a complete rebuilding project at all.

LB
Harbaugh or Morningweg would be dope. i like harbaugh tho, the guy has a pro offense, good judge of talent, knows how to assemble a coaching staff, doesnt take s**t from anyone and hes good with QBs and knows offense, if the niners have proven one thing its that they need a coach who knows offense, if our coach knew offense and could keep his system intact even when OCs leave us we wouldnt be in this mess every year of learning a new offense.
Lest you forget Morningwheg was abysmal as a head coach. I think he needs to be an OC. Everyone fits a niche best unless you are a Walsh. I would prefer a top fresh face but I want someone who can tell winners to choose not brainless, witless and foolish (aka front office). The sad fact is if Jed and co. saw a Walsh, they would probably choose a Singletary clone. Someone who gives a good spiel but can't wipe his own ass. There is IMO a real reluctance for the Yorks to hire people smarter then they, which would eliminate 99.999765 percent of all life on this planet. The only ones left are some troglodytes who escaped extinction like Nolan and Singletary.
Time for Sing to go especially after how he handled Alex on the field. You do those sorts of things behind closed doors. I guarantee he lost a ton of respect from the players after that episode. No body wants to be humiliated in front of other people. If u look at the good coaches throughout the league they r cool as ice on the sideline.

Originally posted by bakefootball:
Time for Sing to go especially after how he handled Alex on the field. You do those sorts of things behind closed doors. I guarantee he lost a ton of respect from the players after that episode. No body wants to be humiliated in front of other people. If u look at the good coaches throughout the league they r cool as ice on the sideline.

Well, he did the same thing to Vernon, and it helped Vernon. The thing is, QB is an entirely different position. Additional emotion and intensity can be detrimental to a QB, it really showed how out-of-touch Singletary is when it comes to Offense. Luckily, Alex has an epic amount of courage and confidence, I know I would've crumbled in that situation, let's hope it carries over. Sing is completely out of it though, when your players are basically telling you that you are completely wrong on the sidelines, you have a problem...they don't even respect your decision-making ability.
Well if the report is true we are about to find out how much the players want Singletary is their coach.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Marty Mornhinweg would literally be the safe/cheap choice! He's a damn good coach/ballsy offensive mastermind who has out-coached many teams at Philly. Dude was literally screwed by Detroit after one season. He coached up Garcia (whilst being on both the 49ers and Eagles), Favre, Hasselbeck, and McNabb. Hell, even Kevin Kolb's mechanics looked (early) Hasselbeck-esq last Sunday.

I just see Gruden being a horrible idea at this time (even though he's a highly qualified candidate). This team is fed up with motivational speakers/yellers, they need some fresh air.

Mornhinweg would be Nolan 2.0 really good coordinator... bad head coach
Whoever wrote up that report obviously did no research and made it all up. This is the same ownership that promised changes as the losses were piling up in '07 and then ended up just reshuffling the chair on the Titanic by keeping Nolan and making Mcloughan the GM. 1 or 2 playoff wins? That's for a franchise with standards. Not this version of the 49ers. Any smart ownership would have figured it out by now. You need smart football people in the front office. Owners shouldn't be hiring and firing coaches. Especially ones that have no clue about the game. Knowing their track record, the Yorks will either keep Singletary or fire him and replace him with someone as unqualified. It's hard to expect anything else from them.
I was telling a friend of mine the exact same thing the other day. I think anything short of an NFC championship game appearance (which likely won't happen) and he's done.

I like Sing. I've supported him. But it's painfully clear that he isn't fit to lead this team. The reasons are obvious, but the most glaring is that we are consistently outcoached in games because he's too reliant on his coordinators.

Still, I think that he'll make a good coach one day. He just needs more experience.

With that said, I'd like to see us give Brian Schottenheimer a look. We need someone that can mold whatever young QB we'll be drafting, and can make the power run game a reality here.

I'd totally be comfortable with him and Bill Callahan calling the shots on offense.
Share 49ersWebzone