LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Who are the leaders in this team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Method:
VD. What he did on Sunday solidified that in my mind, and probably the teams as well. I love this guy, and he's our best or 2nd best player on either side of the ball.

With how Willis is playing VD might be our best player.
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
VD. What he did on Sunday solidified that in my mind, and probably the teams as well. I love this guy, and he's our best or 2nd best player on either side of the ball.

I was going to say that. I don't think Willis is necessarily playing badly, but he's getting taken out of the games by opposing offensive coaches. That shouldn't be happening, our coaches should be scheming to keep Willis free to make plays, and they aren't. Failure of Willis' play is at the feet of the defensive coaches IMO.

Either way, I'd say VD is the leader of this team, and I don't mind that at all. I've liked both of the big moves he's taken this season (stepping to Crabtree, and backing up Smith).

[ Edited by Method on Oct 12, 2010 at 23:28:34 ]
Originally posted by backontop:
VD is the only leader I see on this team.

Cosigned. Vernon's the only vocal guy that instills confidence in his teammates and makes a play when it needs to be made. He's the only guy that leads by example AND leads with his words. Willis is not a leader, dude's too quiet. This is not a good thing because most teams have more than 1 leader. I think that eventually TMays will become the leader of the defense.

I was going to say that. I don't think Willis is necessarily playing badly, but he's getting taken out of the games by opposing offensive coaches. That shouldn't be happening, our coaches should be scheming to keep Willis free to make plays, and they aren't. Failure of Willis' play is at the feet of the defensive coaches IMO.

Either way, I'd say VD is the leader of this team, and I don't mind that at all. I've liked both of the big moves he's taken this season (stepping to Crabtree, and backing up Smith).

VD knows he is alpha male and he knows what is best for the team. Ether he thinks Smith can be great, or putting in Carr will do s**t or even make the team worse.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by jrg:
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore
Patrick Willis
Takeo Spikes
Alex Smith

Take Alex Smith off that list please.

No
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore
Patrick Willis
Takeo Spikes
Alex Smith

No

Agreed. He looks like he has that leadership quality that he was lacking.
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore
Patrick Willis
Takeo Spikes
Alex Smith

No

Eh I think if he can lead this team and pick up his play it'll be because of how hard he's worked and because Vernon has his back. Some leadership qualities but he doesn't have the fearlesness you look for in a leader until he's really pressured to do so. He's sort of a leader but he's no alpha male like Vernon. That's the bad thing, Vern's the only one we have.
I know who the leaders are not..

Good thing the Niners got him locked-up before this train-wreck of a season got going.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore
Patrick Willis
Takeo Spikes
Alex Smith

No

Eh I think if he can lead this team and pick up his play it'll be because of how hard he's worked and because Vernon has his back. Some leadership qualities but he doesn't have the fearlesness you look for in a leader until he's really pressured to do so. He's sort of a leader but he's no alpha male like Vernon. That's the bad thing, Vern's the only one we have.

VD is the leader on this team hands down. And to think I was ready to dismiss him before last year. He has stepped his game up in every way imagineable. I think Takeo is a good vocal leader on defense but he's getting older so it doesn't help that he's not on the field every down.

It was Vernon who convinced Alex to stand up to Singletary Sunday night when he was ready to put Carr in. He also told Coach the team wouldn't be better with Alex on the bench...Singletary listens to Vernon, which is a sign he's a leader on the team. Justin Smith is a leader on the defense...not a rah-rah kind of guy, but he leads by example.
This will be an interesting thing to watch in 2011. Who are Harbaugh's guys gonna be?
Originally posted by zillabeast:
This will be an interesting thing to watch in 2011. Who are Harbaugh's guys gonna be?

Willis, Vernon, Gore, J. Smith . Need a leader at the QB position whether it's Alex or anybody else
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by zillabeast:

Willis, Vernon, Gore, J. Smith . Need a leader at the QB position whether it's Alex or anybody else

That looks about right. Jim is going to need some more Type A personalities after all the stories I'm sure his brother has told him from Baltimore. Wonder which rookies comin out Thursday have the best leadership qualities?
Quote:
San Francisco 49ers WR Josh Morgan noted that QB Alex D. Smith's confidence appeared to grow each week last season, but he said it really sprouted when the offense got together for offseason workouts, reports Phil Barber, of The Santa Rosa Press Democrat. Morgan said, "He took total control over everything. Like with the offense, we'd go out there and half the time Alex would just run the whole thing, run the whole practice without the coaches even being there. That's what you like to see in your quarterback. You like to see him with that type of fire, take that type of leadership. I mean, he's spitting the plays out, he's explaining everything and it's just like, 'Wow. Thank you.' I'm getting excited about it." Morgan added, "I had a couple friends that played with him at Utah, and they said that's how he was at Utah. So it was like, 'Wow, that's what they was talking about.' It's just exciting to see. I'm just hoping he has that same success he had at Utah, and he's gonna really show why he was the No. 1 pick."

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=644747#ixzz1MfQQMkmJ
Share 49ersWebzone