LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 163 users in the forums

You gotta admit that 4th quarter was pretty epic once the crowd let Alex have it

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hollywood:
The only thing that stays the same, is the fact that no matter how poorly Alex plays, his supporters continue to place blame elsewhere. This is the NFL, you are not going to have all day to throw on every play. It amazes me how some rookies QB's can come into this league and put up really good numbers throwing to nobody receivers, yet all I hear is how Alex doesn't have anyone to throw to. He doesn't have time to throw, his OC sucks, the HC is holding him back, God hates him and wants him to fail, blah blah blah. Excuses excuses excuses. My only question is, is there another QB in the history of the NFL that has been given so many chances to show they can play as Alex Smith. We are seeing the same garbage plays from this guy since the beginning, yet I'm supposed to believe it's everything else. Sorry, but the booing was warranted. You can't keep sending Alex Smith into the game and expecting a different outcome.

I don't know 27th in points allowed and 18th against the rush and 21st against the pass might have something to do with being 0-5

It would have been LEGENDARY if Alex led us back to win it... buttttt he didn't and we lost.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
The only thing that stays the same, is the fact that no matter how poorly Alex plays, his supporters continue to place blame elsewhere. This is the NFL, you are not going to have all day to throw on every play. It amazes me how some rookies QB's can come into this league and put up really good numbers throwing to nobody receivers, yet all I hear is how Alex doesn't have anyone to throw to. He doesn't have time to throw, his OC sucks, the HC is holding him back, God hates him and wants him to fail, blah blah blah. Excuses excuses excuses. My only question is, is there another QB in the history of the NFL that has been given so many chances to show they can play as Alex Smith. We are seeing the same garbage plays from this guy since the beginning, yet I'm supposed to believe it's everything else. Sorry, but the booing was warranted. You can't keep sending Alex Smith into the game and expecting a different outcome.

I don't know 27th in points allowed and 18th against the rush and 21st against the pass might have something to do with being 0-5

Those stats are inflated because the offense tends to give the ball away and have a short field to score. COME ON MAN!
He only seems to play well at the very start and end of games. He has yet to string together 4 quarters of solid play...
Originally posted by brucesf49:
that s**t is sad man. disgraceful if you ask me. i was embarrassed to be a fan for a moment. and not because of smiths play but by lack of class from the fans. we are supposed to support this team. luckly he manned up to the fans and showed a little something. I still have doubts but I respect how he handled the situation

Word. I wear my Smith Jersey proudly. I still have so much faith in this team... I live right across UofPHX Stadium... blast my Niner Flag all over this city... I let them all know we at least got the Cards covered. haha. The Niners have been driving me crazy but man, do I love them. And for all the smack talk I've layed out here... hopefully they can back me up. haha. Got my tix and can't wait for the MNF game!!! GO NINERS!!!
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by susweel:
I have never heard a crowd turn a player like that before. It was kind of shocking, Im the biggest Smith hater around and even I kinda felt bad for him at the time.

I know. I felt bad for him too. Like his whole life was flashing before his eyes on national television. Not to mention the humiliation of having 65,000 rabid fans bearing the brunt of 8 years of frustration on you. The easy thing to do would be to sit down, cover your head with the towel and let Carr go out.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

Wait if tyhe offense gives the ball away and there is a short field wouldn't that mean less yards?

Those stats are inflated because the offense tends to give the ball away and have a short field to score. COME ON MAN!
Epic as in epic failure? What remained of the Candlestick crowd -- not much by the 4th quarter -- was on hand to witness the same teasing performance as we all have since the 2010 campaign started. Show momentary flashes of brilliance surrounded by persistent ineptitude and dysfunction.

Are we really going to let the players decide who plays on this team? Is that how Bill Walsh did it? If I have to listen to Frank Gore comment one more time about how he wants Alex as his QB, I'm going to spew. Frank should be benched too because as we have seen for 5 weeks running, our bell cow ain't ringing the bell all that much. It's time for a change up and I'm not talking about one or two plays here and there.

Which brings me back to epic failure...and I am talking about Coach Singletary. Our Niners will not get one bit better until he is gone and we have an experienced head coach with a track record of success. Nothing personal...just business.
like i said on another post
last night was crazy watching on the tv. just hearing the boos after the smith fumble, and hearing the "we want carr" chants DURING plays, the 3 plays that followed that fumble that were all incomplete was crazy. crowd was laying it on him bad. i seriously thought it was the end for smith.

i remember i turned to my dad and older bro and said, "this is a mutiny. we're witnessing a mutiny." and i was just standing up with like a sad/shocked face. couldn't believe how bad it was.

but that's 6 years of frustration right there from the crowd.
Originally posted by brucesf49:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Another thing that stays the same is the guys like you that think it is only his fault we are losing games when there are many other factors, some of which can ruin a play before it happens. The offensive line really sucks at pass protection and isn't getting much of a push. When your offensive line is inconsistent, then your offense is going to be inconsistent. I am not saying I am happy with his overall play at all, that fumble pissed me off, but to look at the losses and try to say he cost us all those games is shortsighted and only shows you let emotions cloud your judgment.

i know right. its like they dont even acknowledge gores 2 fumbles. nedney's missed fg. the oline or the pass D. all were horrible yesterday.

So Gore has fumbled in every game? Sure, others make mistakes. But what is consistent in every game? Smith making mistakes. You guys always have an excuse for him. Yea, Gore had a bad game, his first. Smith has had 5 bad games this season. Who else has had 5 bad games. And don't give me this OL crap. When the OL has played well, Smith has still failed to deliver. He's failed to deliver for 6 f**king seasons.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Funny thing is, when the offensive line is strong, Smith still manages to turn the ball over. Then it's the OC's fault. You guys have an excuse every week he screws up. It's either the WR's fault, the OC's fault, Singletary's fault, etc. You always have an excuse for him.

Another thing that stays the same is the guys like you that think it is only his fault we are losing games when there are many other factors, some of which can ruin a play before it happens. The offensive line really sucks at pass protection and isn't getting much of a push. When your offensive line is inconsistent, then your offense is going to be inconsistent. I am not saying I am happy with his overall play at all, that fumble pissed me off, but to look at the losses and try to say he cost us all those games is shortsighted and only shows you let emotions cloud your judgment.

It's crazy I know, but get this. When your offense has a dozen 3 and outs, believe it or not, the defense get's tired. Who'da thunk it?
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eahudson49:
Epic as in epic failure? What remained of the Candlestick crowd -- not much by the 4th quarter -- was on hand to witness the same teasing performance as we all have since the 2010 campaign started. Show momentary flashes of brilliance surrounded by persistent ineptitude and dysfunction.

Are we really going to let the players decide who plays on this team? Is that how Bill Walsh did it? If I have to listen to Frank Gore comment one more time about how he wants Alex as his QB, I'm going to spew. Frank should be benched too because as we have seen for 5 weeks running, our bell cow ain't ringing the bell all that much. It's time for a change up and I'm not talking about one or two plays here and there.

Which brings me back to epic failure...and I am talking about Coach Singletary. Our Niners will not get one bit better until he is gone and we have an experienced head coach with a track record of success. Nothing personal...just business.

I felt demoralized after the game.

[ Edited by obx49 on Oct 11, 2010 at 17:49:04 ]
You know, having been critical of Smith, basically saying he aint got it, well maybe he does have something. He aint great, but he could be good if he plays like he did in the fourth qrtr. minus the ugly int. of course, he just has to slow his game down, yes even with our dissappoint of the year offensive, offensive-line. He did dodge and complete, roll right and complete. THROW THE DAM BALL! is what I scream when I go to the stick. They stack the box on us, not just for our vaunted running attack, but because Alex wont throw! He has to start this spread style in the first damn qtr., and end this way to the whistle. Dont hold onto 1 point leads no more! He has to do this now or die by the "other" game he plays, which is just 0-5 nowhere. Him and Sing will be gone if something called "winning" doesnt start happening soon. Score 45 points and hope they dont score more. Isnt that what its all about?
Actually I was kinda impressed with the kid standing up to those boo's and playing to win, but why let it come to that. Play some ball!
Share 49ersWebzone