There are 271 users in the forums

Throwback -- Our New Defensive Leader

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The guy has it all , size, speed, and more important the passion to be constantly improving.

Clements said it all, the guys was prepared which allowed him to make the plays. I don't know if i am buying that safety is such a hard position to learn. Look at the kid in seattle he was a starter day one. Mays is gonna be a fixture in the secondary. Draft a stud CB throw clements to FS an ind now we're in business.

The only thing I would like to see in him on sunday is a little nasty streak, then we can start talking throwback.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
1 game...
  • dj43
Originally posted by susweel:
Lets let the kid play before we start calling him the next Lott.

Leaders often assume that position through play and once established, they take on a more verbal role. That was what Lott did.

This team is so short on leadership right now that Mays could be that guy in a very short time.

There was only one Ronnie Lott. I'll settle for just good leadership and think of HOF later.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Do you guys remember Jamie Winborn having some incredible games for us before he fell off a cliff? We need to see from consistent results from this kid, but I have high hopes for him.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
1 game...
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by KezarMike:
With Mays as the name, why isn't he wearing #24?

dixon claimed it

Mays should wear 24. It's okay, he can have it when dixon leaves. Just kidding, I like Dixon. I liked seeing 33 back on the field at rb. That was pretty cool
Originally posted by rawdel:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Do you guys think Taylor Mays would continue to play if they had to cut a finger off his hand during a game?!

That's why 42 will be known as the toughest player to play the game!!! Dick Buttkiss who???

Not that I am a fan, but didn't Don Meredith play QB with a punctured lung? That would have to be a pretty tough man.
One thing that resonated with me toward the end of the Steve Young interview was that this team needs "true pros". He mentioned Ronnie and how he made the FS accountable, who then made the cb accountable and so on and so on. This Niners sorely lack those types of players. The team has missed on that quality when scouting players, either in college, or free agents, trades or whatever and it shows.
When I talked to Ronnie in June, he had nothing but praise for Mays. If he becomes half of what Lott was for the club...we'll have something special. Whether he's a big hitter, we have yet to see, but he's showing great field smarts. Ronnie possessed both and a whole "Lott" more.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by susweel:
Lets let the kid play before we start calling him the next Lott.

You guys crack me up. After one game, ONE GAME, Mays is all of a sudden the Niners "New Defensive Leader".

What happens if he gets smoked by Jackson and Maclin this Sunday? Will you guys be singing the same tune? Or will it be "Mays sucks" and "Why the hell isn't Reggie starting".

Don't get me wrong, I want this kid to play great. I'd love to see him turn into the second coming of Lott. I'm just not ready to make that prediction after one game.
Originally posted by rawdel:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
When he fell to us at the 49th pick in the draft, I thought it might be special. And with regards to leadership, I've been patiently waiting for Willis as well. It might still come...

Willis leads by example... If you want Ray Lewis, root for Baltimore.

Willis isn't leading by example as much this season so far.
I've been calling him "T-Pain"
Maybe I'll start calling him Throwback"

Two-Three baby!!!
Share 49ersWebzone